9800 GX2 no resolution options. (Tried NVenabler, NVKush, GFX Strings)

10 posts in this topic

As title says, I have installed Snow Leopard but have no resolution options. I have been working to fix this solution for over 100hours now and finally have given up.

I am running an Asus P5N-D Nforce 750i board with an Intel Core Duo and a BFG Nvidia 9800GX2.

I have got the GX2 detected by the system profile by using NVEnabler, NVKush, Manually setting up my own GFC String and putting the hex in a device properties... No matter which method I use I am unable to get a resolution other than 1024x768.

I wanted dual monitor support but for now I don't care anymore... I only post to see if anyone has successfully got the 9800GX2 working on Snow Leopard and could maybe share some info. I have had it work on Leopard prior to doing the Snow Leopard Install.

Thanks guys.

did you try chameleon and GraphicsEnabler=yes ?

Yes. I have tried all the basic steps I can think of. I tried several boot loaders, several kext, manually building strings, several injectors..... NVkush, NVEnabler, NVInject, GraphicsEnabler and the kext from the 9800 GX2 Leopard thread.

I appreciate the advice.. I did not know about the new kext from nvidia. I will definitely give those a try and hopefully I can get lucky. I think I need to reformat and reinstall before doing so to make sure I have the cleanest build..

I am running vinalla kext. I installed using myHack and a usb with a retail disc.

IGNORE THIS, IT IS WORKING:

Well was a nice try... Same result though. I can see it in the System Profile with all the right properties but I got no dual mointor option in the system display preferences or any resolution choices.

EDIT:

Well after playing around with custom GFX Strings I have got it working. For any others out there who have my card these new drivers work great.

Just install the drivers, create a GFX String with your PCIRoot using EFI Studio or Osx86Tools.

Once you get that, add device-properties (key) and the hex(string) to your com.apple.Boot.plist under Extras folder.

Repair all permissions, reboot with a -f (and optionally -v) and wait. If you don't have the same results, try changing your SMBois to a MacPro or MacBookPro. I am currently running the newest MacBookPro settings..

****PLEASE NOTE****

This is a vinalla install with GraphicsEnabler OFF and no Injectors/Enablers. I am only using a String and the graphic drivers noted above.

Thanks for all the help guys and good luck to any others who are trying this.

• 9 months later...

I am still struggling to get QE working for my 9800 GX2 in SL. I have the same MB as Dane - ASUS P5N-D 750i, I have an EVGA GX2. I got SL installed from a retail disc, and am at 10.6.3 currently. I installed the nVidia Drivers as this thread talks about, but any sort of graphic string I put in whatsoever lead to a blank screen - no video output from card. I got my PCI string from gfxutil in my working Leopard install.

I have Chameleon "Graphic Enabler" off, no injectors, and my card id is not in my NVDAN50Hal or NVDAResman kexts.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope...

EDIT:

Still nothing...the only thing that does anything is NVEnabler64, and it leads to a KP...seriously, why did I have to choose one of the worst video cards to try this with :)

the reason that you got no answer might be that the solution is posted already - if it doesn´t work for you, you have a mistake in your strings - check them more than twice and search also for other strings.

did you pm to Dane for the one he used?