10.4.7 AMD - "About This Mac" Crash

ChrisLKirby

11 posts in this topic

Installed AMD 10.4.7 Update.

Everything seems to run ok, and faster (now that SSE3 is actually detected) BUT when i go to "About this Mac" OSX crashes, Finder shuts down, and it reloads. When i go into Utilities-->System Profiler it says "There was an error while gathering this information"

Any ideas?

Installed AMD 10.4.7 Update.

Everything seems to run ok, and faster (now that SSE3 is actually detected) BUT when i go to "About this Mac" OSX crashes, Finder shuts down, and it reloads. When i go into Utilities-->System Profiler it says "There was an error while gathering this information"

Any ideas?

I used to have this problem with 10.4.5 but after patching it went away, I would asume that your issue will go away soon as a new patch is released.

• 4 weeks later...
I've been having this issue with 10.4.6 on my AMD64 system. It only happens when I load the forcedeth kext into the kernel however. Must be a problem with running a third-party kext.

Ditto.

If I unload forcedeth.kext and then run it, it's fine.

After I reload it, About this Mac crashes the GUI again. Strange, but who cares... my ethernet card works! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem, but now only shows "There was an error while gathering this information". Theres another problem, i couldn't install any program or controller, the installer application do not responce.

Pichu+

PD: Please! whats going on?

I have a similar problem, but now only shows "There was an error while gathering this information". Theres another problem, i couldn't install any program or controller, the installer application do not responce.

Pichu+

PD: Please! whats going on?

Yea same with me too...and when try to shutdown, it says that "Metadata File Not Found"

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue here with the JAS 10.4.7 repack. The AMD_enabler doesn't work again and stops with an error message. Probably because the file was patched already during installation?

I'm reverting back to the 10.4.6 JAS version now to see if this one works.

Well had the same error with 10.4.7 Jas repack iso but then in Deutsch told me a nice person, when install only choose "AMD combo update + Ati if you need"....

now I can get to about this mac...when I click on more info then it first says error during gathering information but shows all infos only the computer one is missing.

is there a sort of cpu-z for mac to check the configuration ?

Yep, saw the german thread. It was about not selecting AMD Enabler but the option is not there in JaS 10.4.7. Installing using this also results in only SSE2. I tried again with the older 10.4.6 and this works, detects SSE3 and doesn't crash.

I think the info you'll get in MacOS is not reliable as long as you have the correct patched OS. The A64 venice showed up as SSE2 using JaS 10.4.7 which is wrong, under 10.4.6 however it's correctly recognized as SSE3. Better use Windows or check your CPU capabilities in the web.