Sapphire ATI HD4650 1GB DDR2 and Snow Leopard 10.6.4

DinosOSX

54 posts in this topic

Diggi,

Go ahead and try this package.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/56nke5vsaa0b...50-1gb-1064.zip

1.) Make sure you use a DVI to VGA adapter, this most likely will not work for straight out DVI.

2.) Remove Evoenabler from your /S/L/E.

3.) Files for root are the Asere bootloader. If you are already on Chameleon RC4, PC-EFI 6, or RC 5 then you should not need these files.

4.) Extra is a copy of my Boot.plist file, put this in your Extra directory.

5.) S-L-E are the kexts I am currently using, place these in System/Library/Extensions, make sure you repair permissions.

What you should wind up with: You should have full QE/CI, both VGA and DVI (with DVI2VGA adapter). They will be stuck in what I term "hardware mirror mode." The displays will act mirrored, but according to OS X you only have a single display attached.

Fair warning: No one has developed a single guide to getting the 4650 operational yet. Different cards (512/1Gb) and different bootloaders and kext combinations can cause kernel panics. Before attempting to use these files, make sure you are well versed in how to recover your system if you can not boot into GUI.

Good luck.

Thank you VERY VERY much. Your time is valuable and I am humbled that you have given some of that to help me.

Question: would my success rate be raised if I simply bought another card? If so, that is what I want to do I think. If you think this would get me "there" faster and with a greater success rate, please tell me which one you recommend. I will march to the store this very moment and buy one. I say this because I will have to go there anyway to get a VGA cable and adapter.

My sincere thanks again,

~ Diggi

I really can't speak to how much easier another card would be. Just from what I see casually on the forums here nVidia users seem to be having a lot fewer problems.

That being said, my last card was an ATI HD2600 Pro. I worked AMAZINGLY well in 10.5 with just the simple step of adding my hardware ID's to the kexts. On Snow though this card is dead. To the best of my knowledge no one has even achieved QE/CI. So what works now may not always be so, spend accordingly.

OK, I did everything you mentioned, including repairing permissions when I was done.

For the kext files, I simply copied and pasted them in the location you mentioned. I did not use the "kext Utility" like I had in the past.

I was able to copy the Root files to the root, replacing the boot file that was there too.

I found a VGA cable and adapter and installed it.

When I reboot, there is a lot of long, lengthy script on the screen, the a White box appears that says "Auto Adjusting Resolution - recommend 1600x1050x60"

When it gets to the desktop, it is back to 1024x768 and I cannot adjust this in System Preferences/ Display

I failed to mention that at Darwin, I tried "Graphics Mode=1600x1050x60" and the error said "can't find graphics" (this was just in the past 5 minutes after applying your fixes)

It has said that exact same thing every time I've tried it.

Does that give us any clues as to what might be hindering it?

How about "device ID" - I read somewhere that you had to specify this in the Boot.plist and in each kext. Is that correct?

We'll get there!

Is this what you mean? This is the Graphics part of of the System Profiler. I can make a real screen shot if that is better?

Weird that it now says ATI Radeon HD4890?

ATI Radeon HD 4890:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4890

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9498

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Display Connector:

Is this what you mean? This is the Graphics part of of the System Profiler. I can make a real screen shot if that is better?

No that is not what I mean....If you look in the pane on the left hand side, toward the bottom you will see "Extensions". I don't mean to be rude here but this is pretty basic OS X stuff. While you are experimenting with kexts, there is a possibility of causing a kernel panic. Are you going to be capable on your own of recovering your system without the use of a GUI?

I'm brand new to this. I said so from the beginning. I appreciate you helping me and as I said, I'm happy to pay you for your time. I was kidding about any of the aforementioned.

Yes, I understand now what you mean about grabbing a screen shot of the info in System Profiler/ Extensions. However, when I try to use the "Grab" utility (which I have used thousands of times on my MacBook), the resulting image or "screen shot" is blank. This is the same thing I mentioned previously about not being able to see some of the audio plugins I normally use.

Is there another option to posting that info?

I could take a camera photo, or short video so you could see ALL of the info in that window (since it requires scrolling down in order to see everything)

I'll do that. I'll make a quick video clip and post in a moment.

No need for the video....

QE/CI is not loaded, that Grab result alone says that....So if QE/CI is not loaded then there is a good chance your card is not loading any drivers at all and you are running in VESA mode.

Do you have Windows installed on this machine so you can verify your device/hardware ID for the video card?

Before I do that, is there a specific thing in the Extensions part of System Profiler that you want to see? If so, please tell me. That way I can keep the vid short.

No need for the video....

QE/CI is not loaded, that Grab result alone says that....So if QE/CI is not loaded then there is a good chance your card is not loading any drivers at all and you are running in VESA mode.

Do you have Windows installed on this machine so you can verify your device/hardware ID for the video card?

No I do not have Windows on this machine.

Yeah, you are running in VESA mode...you should have several ATI kexts loading, not just one....No this is relying on an extremely swiss cheese memory but I seem to recall someone mentioning in one of the other 4650 threads that there's was also showing as a 4890. I seem to recall it had something to do with the DSDT file he was using. I am sorry but that is about the extent of the help I can give you on this....

Well, I appreciate your efforts very much. When I saw that those kext weren't visible in the Extensions view of System Profiler, I thought "maybe they didn't install correctly". So I tried to use the Kext Utility where you drop those files on the utility it (supposedly) installs them, and repairs permissions, etc.

When i did that, and rebooted, I got a garbled screen and it was a mess.

Does that say anything more about what I'm experiencing? If not, I think a new card would be worth a try. If you have a recommendation, I'd love to hear it. I know the EFI Studio utility has some cards already patched inside the program, and I suppose I could try one of those?

Yes that does say quite a bit, it means you are most likely now getting QE/CI...of course I understand that doesn't do a bit of good unless you can actually read the screen.

Trying using a variety of combinations of cables (i.e. VGA cable on VGA port, DVI cable on DVI port, VGA on DVI using adapter, etc...

In Darwin, if I type -x and hit enter - it goes through a bunch of messages and finally gets me to the desktop. If I just let it boot, the screen is all garbled.

What to do next Jedi Master?

BTW - in the Extensions folder of Root - there is a bunch of stuff like com.apple.Boot.plist, com.apple.Boot.old, Extensions.bak.mkext, Extensions.mkext, smbios.plist, and then there is another Extensions folder in this folder with stuff like EvOreboot.kext, FakeSMC.kext, IONNetworkingFamily.kext, NULLCPUManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext

Any of this info help?