SL on Acer Aspire 8940G

23 posts in this topic

I have finally got my Acer Aspire 8940G working 99.9% with SL.

What is working:

CPU:

Vanilla Speedstep

Vanilla Power Management

Graphics:

Vanilla QE/CI

OpenGL/CL

Network:

Ethernet (I had to hex edit the 10.6.3 AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext to get it to work 100%) auto MAC address detection and no need for promisc mode.

Wireless (I had to swap the WiFi minipci card with a Atheros AR5B91 to get it working)

USB: Vanilla

Bluetoooth: Vanilla

SATA: Vanilla

Audio: VoodooHDA (mike working 100%)

SDHC: Working 100% (With SD Card pluged in on boot)

Camera: Vanilla

Battery: VoodooBattery

Trackpad / Keyboard: VoodooPS2

Shutdown and Restart working 100%

Hibernation working 100%

Since 10.6.4 it has been stable as a rock, no crashing or freezing.

The only thing that I have not managed to get working yet is sleep, but I am working on that.

I have made a package that will install all the kexts, bootloader, DSDT, smbios that is needed to get it working.

After you run the installer you must run the kext utility that is installed in /Applications/Utilities/Tools. This is to fix permissions.

Run this installer after you have updated to 10.6.4.

Tarquin

Acer_Aspire_8940G.pkg.zip

Can you give any more detail on the install procedure you used? Did you start with a retail disc? and where can we get the package you made?

Thanks

JF

What is working:

CPU:

Vanilla Speedstep

Vanilla Power Management

Graphics:

Vanilla QE/CI

OpenGL/CL

Network:

Ethernet (I had to hex edit the 10.6.3 AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext to get it to work 100%) auto MAC address detection and no need for promisc mode.

Wireless (I had to swap the WiFi minipci card with a Atheros AR5B91 to get it working)

USB: Vanilla

Bluetoooth: Vanilla

SATA: Vanilla

Audio: VoodooHDA (mike working 100%)

SDHC: Working 100%

Camera: Vanilla

Battery: VoodooBattery

Trackpad / Keyboard: VoodooPS2

Shutdown and Restart working 100%

Hibernation working 100%

Since 10.6.4 it has been stable as a rock, no crashing or freezing.

The only thing that I have not managed to get working yet is sleep, but I am working on that.

I have made a package that will install all the kexts, bootloader, DSDT, smbios that is needed to get it working.

After you run the installer you must run the kext utility that is installed in /Applications/Utilities/Tools. This is to fix permissions.

Tarquin

Tarquin

Hy there,

sounds great and i've send you a PM like you want to get the DL-Link for this Installer and ...nothing happend, so my question maybe sounds like the same before here "Where we can find this Installer/Package?"

thanks and regards

Lisel

Sorry I forgot to attach the package. I have added it to my first post.

Please post all your findings or problems here so that other people can benefit from our efforts.

For those of you that were looking for a fully functional ethernet kext, one is included in the package.

Tarquin

Sorry I forgot to attach the package. I have added it to my first post.

Please post all your findings or problems here so that other people can benefit from our efforts.

For those of you that were looking for a fully functional ethernet kext, one is included in the package.

Tarquin

Great, that was the one i was looking for.

I will try out and post my findings if i get my Acer again to run, because right now it wont work, and i'm a apple User and have no idea wherein hell windows 7 has his problem right now, but i figured out. For now many thanks Tarquin and i hope it will work for me too.

Adventures with this package as soon as i can try it.

Lisel

I have found that VoodooHDA causes a kernel panic on boot at least 50% of the time, you just need to reboot until it boots successfully. When it has booted it does not panic, and is very stable. For this reason I am now using AppleHDA and LegacyHDA for sound. The only problem with this is that the mic does not work. I am trying to resolve this problem, any ideas are welcome.

Tarquin

hi tarquin!

can you write a full guide for non expert-mac-users like me? ;)

i have the original dvd of snow leopard but the upgrade version of 29€

i have a macbook with snow leopard too (its my bro mac eheh)

so, with these thing how to boot the original dvd on my acer?

thanks

hi tarquin!

can you write a full guide for non expert-mac-users like me? :)

i have the original dvd of snow leopard but the upgrade version of 29€

i have a macbook with snow leopard too (its my bro mac eheh)

so, with these thing how to boot the original dvd on my acer?

thanks

I have made an install DvD that makes it very easy, basically you put the DvD into your Aspire 8940G and boot from it. It will do a full install of SL 10.6.3 and update to 10.6.4. When you are done you are greeted with Apple's intro movie and a 100% working Aspire 8940G laptop.

The DvD image (iso) is pretty large as you can expect about 5 GiG so you will have to burn it to a duel layer DvD, but it is worth it. I am just in the process of arranging a place to host the download and then I'll post the link. If you know of a place that can host it I would appreciate that.

tnx for your answer Tarquin!

sorry dont know how to help, i can only think in splitting the file on 700mb files and then upload it on megaupload.

or if you want, can you help us in how to create the working dvd from the original dvd?

tnx 4 all :P

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Did you have to do anything special with this card? I ordered an AR5B91, installled it, and it worked on first boot, but on the second or third restart it stopped seeing wifi networks. I'm thinking it may have failed (ebay), but let me know if you had to use any special kexts or strings.

Thanks,

JF

i am a newbie to mac, too.

my question is, whether changing/flashing the SMBIOS can have negative effects on a windows installation.

or more general: can i easily remove this OS again, by formating my hard drive? (and install windows again without problems?)

if that would work i could finally test a mac OS on my laptop....

eX

• 4 weeks later...
I have made an install DvD that makes it very easy, basically you put the DvD into your Aspire 8940G and boot from it. It will do a full install of SL 10.6.3 and update to 10.6.4. When you are done you are greeted with Apple's intro movie and a 100% working Aspire 8940G laptop.

The DvD image (iso) is pretty large as you can expect about 5 GiG so you will have to burn it to a duel layer DvD, but it is worth it. I am just in the process of arranging a place to host the download and then I'll post the link. If you know of a place that can host it I would appreciate that.

hello there, have u managed to upload your install dvd as a torrent and if so how can i find it please?

thanx

• 3 months later...

I thought I would come in here and explain how I got SL 10.6.6 almost working 100% on my Aspire 8940g. I posted a longer version of how to do this but here is a MUCH more streamlined and functioning version.

What you will need:

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (google)

Retail SL disc

Pacifist (download the .dmg)

Acer Aspire 8940g.pkg (from OP)

SL 10.6.6 combo update (google; make sure its the COMBO update)

Notes: Place all downloaded items onto a FAT32 formatted thumb drive. It HAS to be FAT32 otherwise OSX wont read it.

Process:

1) Download [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and burn it to a cd. Place it in your computer and restart. Make sure your 8940g is set to boot from DVD drive first. Press F2 at ACER boot screen.

2) When [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] screen appears eject the cd and place in your SL retail disk. Wait a couple seconds and press F5. Then when the SL disk shows up, press -x. Select the SL retail disk and hit enter.

notes: We press -x to go into safe mode. Your retail disk doesnt support core i7 or the GTS 250M in out 8940g. -x puts us in safe mode and bypasses these components and lets us run the install.

3) It will go through the install process and enter in all the info you need.

4) Once you get to your desktop, plug in your thumb drive from above and copy all items onto the desktop.

5) Double click the 10.6.6 combo update and let the installer run. Reboot your computer once finished.

6) Place the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd back in the drive once the computer has shut down. When the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] menu appears back on your screen select your hard drive and hit enter.

7) Back at your desktop, install the program pacifist. Once installed, go to Applications > Pacifist and run it. It will launch and a welcome screen will appear with a count down. Just wait for it to finish and hit not now (but buy it if you like it).

Hit the button Open Package and select the Acer Aspire 8940g.pkg.

8) Locate the DSDT.aml and the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext and copy those to the desktop as well. Close down Pacifist when done.

9) Go to: System > Library > Extensions and locate IONetworkingFamily.kext...Right click this and select Show Package Contents....Navigate to Contents > PlugIns and delete the existing AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext that is in this folder. Empty the trash as well. Now click and drag the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext that is on your desktop into this PlugIns folder. If it asks for you password at anytime just enter it.

Close the folders when finished.

10) Now run the Acer Aspire 8940g.pkg and wait for the installer to finish.

11) Once thats done run the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] installer and select the option UserDSDT and hit continue. Let it run through its install and reboot once finished. Take out the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd from your drive before you hit reboot.

12) Now that we are back at the desktop once more. Go to Applications folder and locate the kextutility. Run it and let it do its thing. When its finished reboot one last time.

You should now be back at your desktop with a fully functioning Acer Aspire 8940g hackintosh running 10.6.6 :-)...Wifi will not work since there arent drivers for our cards. All you have to do is find a OSX compatible air card and install it.

I would like to thank Tarquin Douglass for his hard work on putting the package together. The ethernet thing threw me for a little bit but it was a simple solution. Thanks to TonyMac also for [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. It really made the entire process super easy!

If anyone has questions just post here and I will try to help out. I am not a hackintosh guru but I will try my best!