intel x3100 dispay problems -- 10.6.3

jbfan31

7 posts in this topic

:(:thumbsup_anim:;)

I recently (about a week ago) successfully installed iATKOS s3 on my Toshiba laptop. it has a 965 chipset and then i found out the 965 chipset graphics is actuallly x3100. and iATKOS came with like 4 different options for the x3100. so i picked the efi string. (idk wat i was thinking) and eerything was working good. after days of troubleshooting and installing/uninstalling kexts to get my WLAN (realtek 8187b) to work (i used 0010's patched 10.6 vrsion), upon restart, I encountered a weird display bug. what happened was it would boot fine but as soon as it reached the login screen, my screen would seem distorted. it had split screen 4 different login screens almost like playing a multiplayer video game...and now it just happens randomly when i restart like sometimes it will happen or more recently it will "mirror image" the very top of the screen...like there will be two menu bars and if you put your mouse pointer at the top it will also appear on the bottom.

I also cannot increase/decrease brightness. this is important as i want to use the laptop without plugging in all the time. because right when it boots to the login screen it will automatically go full brightness settings and in "-v" mode it says invalid firmware or something,

i tried patching the DSDT as others in this forum have said...but i copied the text from one of the users dsdt (he said he got his working with the following code and then posted it) but i keep getting compile errors.

mainly i want the ability to change the brightness setting and fix the mirror image problem...perhaps an updated x3100 kext is available? btw the exact model of my laptop is

Toshiba Satellite L45-S4709. and has x3100 (intel) with Device ID: 0x2a02.

please help. thank you very much. :]

BUMP!!! can someone help???!! idk what to do? ugh

I have the same model as you. I have not heard of this issue before. Do you have mirror under graphics under about this mac? I bet its yes. Anyway Ill tell you what I have working on my 2a02 x3100. I am using the 32bit built in x3100 kext in 10.6.2. I have no EFI string as the kext load by default. I do have a patched DSDT but none of that had to do with my x3100 working out of the box. I would see if you have the mirror on and try to turn that off in display properties. If you do not have it then I would try to remove the EFI string as It is probably messing with the kext for default x3100 loading properly. Also install chameleon 2.0 RC4 as that detects my display correctly. Installing chameleon should also remove the EFI string. You can install chameleon easily with lizard. Get all of that over at the voodoo forums.

Hope that helps. If not a lot of this is trial and error. Youl have to just test things and see what you get. Not many will help you if they know it can work with the proper research. Its only the big problems that have no clear answer where youl find people really interested in helping you.

thanks for your help! um would i have to backup anything to upgrade the bootloader? and how would i go about removing the EFIstring. I remember see lots of kexts in that folder that i did not choose during install...i think one of them was nvidia network card? but anyways thanks!!

(would that bootloader fix my brightness? btw when i unplug the AC adapter because it says fully charged a alert comes up saying reserve battery power and i check on the menu bar and it says like 10% instead of 100% i doubt it is the battery itself...i just recently ordered a new one.

i upgraded to 2.0 rc4 like u said using the GUI tool and when i restart my mouse doesnt work?!?!! i've restarted, booted in safe mode...still nothinn..and right now i do not have access to a USB mouse...heeeelppppp

i upgraded to 2.0 rc4 like u said using the GUI tool and when i restart my mouse doesnt work?!?!! i've restarted, booted in safe mode...still nothinn..and right now i do not have access to a USB mouse...heeeelppppp

Your mouse has to do with 2 kext.. ACPIps2Nub and appleps2 controller. This has nothing to do with the bootloader. Make sure you have those 2 files in S/L/E or E/E. If you have synaptics touchpad then make sure you get the appleps2 for synaptics. If you have mouse all you need is the generic one for your version of OSX.

Chameleon 2.0 RC4 is a great bootloader and gives you a lot of options but there are some that update on the code that chameleon uses. AsereBLN and AnVal are updated chameleon bootloaders. You can try those also.

Remember OSX is a lot of trial and error. Good Luck

The reason it is like that is because you need to select the entire dropdown for the x3100. BTW S3 is a more complicated install than Hazard - Some strange options in S3... But yeah - If you selected only one driver its probally being an idiot as you haven't got all the kexts but it knows your graphics card