10.6.4 update causes intermittent kernel panic

hauj0bb

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm running 10.6.3 successfully without hitches whatsoever on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R MB, Q8300 cpu, and 4gb of ddr2 800 ram.

I upgraded last night via software update to 10.6.4, also upgraded SleepEnabler.kext to the latest. My system boots normally and the system feels stable, but randomly kernel panics on what it seems like random programs .. it's not specific to one thing at all.

So, I turned off spotlight, tried running in -x32 and -x64 mode(normally I boot without flags, so I assume the system boots to 64 mode by default.), I also tried repairing permissions with Kext Tool. Could it be a power management issue? I don't think my AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement ever loaded correctly, but my system never overheated or got hotter than like 45 degrees, so I didn't bother messing with it. I also have onboard ALC889A, which I disabled from bios .. mostly because I don't use it.

Should I try to install to 10.6.4 via combo update, or hell even downgrade back to 10.6.3 via combo update?

Thanks

I Dont have any clue if this helps, but i did update 10.6.4 and got Kernel Panic at first.

i changed this ;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=x86_64 GraphicsEnabler=Yes</string>

<string>pmVersion=20</string> < -------------------- THIS LINE !

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

</dict>

</plist>

to my /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist

post-335483-1277131906_thumb.png

Kari

I Dont have any clue if this helps, but i did update 10.6.4 and got Kernel Panic at first.

i changed this ;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=x86_64 GraphicsEnabler=Yes</string>

<string>pmVersion=20</string> < -------------------- THIS LINE !

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

</dict>

</plist>

to my /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist

post-335483-1277131906_thumb.png

Kari

<string>pmVersion=20</string> I thought was automatically set with the new SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.4? I can give it a shot though.

Strange thing is that even 'real' mac users are having the same issues I am, and most of them recommended restoring to 10.6 from the dvd and then doing the 10.6.4 combo update, or just installing the 10.6.3 v1.1 combo update to downgrade.

Any idea what would happen if I restored my install from the retail DVD and then did combo update? Would I have to reinstall chameleon etc, or would that remain intact?

Hey, daniel; the Combo Update won't touch the bootloader. I should have thought to mention last night that the Software Update updates *almost always* cause problems. I'd back down to an earlier version and then apply the 10.6.4 Combo Update.

Oh, afaik, "pmVersion=20" is a bootloader thing; i.e. it's not automagically handled by anything else (unless there's been an major update to SleepEnabler or one of the other 3rd party kexts to provide the same functionality...)

Hey, daniel; the Combo Update won't touch the bootloader. I should have thought to mention last night that the Software Update updates *almost always* cause problems. I'd back down to an earlier version and then apply the 10.6.4 Combo Update.

Oh, afaik, "pmVersion=20" is a bootloader thing; i.e. it's not automagically handled by anything else (unless there's been an major update to SleepEnabler or one of the other 3rd party kexts to provide the same functionality...)

Excellent, thanks .. will try this when I get home.