10.6.4 - improved Power Management?

diddl14

Did 10.6.4 change power efficiency of your system?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. CPU temperature when IDLE

• Higher
    • Same
    • Lower - 5% or less
    • Lower - 6% or more
    • Don't know
  2. 2. Power consumption when IDLE

• Higher
    • Same
    • Lower - 5% or less
    • Lower - 6% or more
    • Don't know

3 posts in this topic

I updated my P6T-SE (i720/6GB) to 10.6.4 last week via software update. All worked fine, nothing additional that needed to be replaced or repaired.

What I'm now noticing is a 8-10% drop in CPU temperature and 10-12% saving in idle power.

Anyone else seeing these improvements?

• 3 months later...
I updated my P6T-SE (i720/6GB) to 10.6.4 last week via software update. All worked fine, nothing additional that needed to be replaced or repaired.

What I'm now noticing is a 8-10% drop in CPU temperature and 10-12% saving in idle power.

Not hier! Higher CPU teperature. Last night 76 Celsius!

Asus P5P43TD CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400!

Help !

And how exactly, if you don't mind me asking, did you measure this "10-12% saving in idle power"?

I have two exactly the same drives in my desktop hack. One with OS X 10.6.2 and the other with OS X 10.6.4. We also have a Cresta power meter, which I will use to verify the power consumption.

I think it was something like 98 watt. No matter what the CPU monitor showed, even with active CPU throttling / temps changes. No change at all. CPU throttling did had an affect on power usage (20 watt reduced when idle) for both OS X 10.6.2 and OS X 10.6.4

And here it is:

xl7j516g6x129ow73wpm.png8akra3voiiv23gibvjxt.png

Left picture with OS X 10.6.2 and right picture with OS X 10.6.4 (click for larger images).

Edit: just to give people an idea; I fired up GLview 3.31(41) and ran a benchmark test with Anisotropy set to 16, which is pretty heavy. Power usage was 149 watt max. So if you have a 550 watt power supply, like me, then it won't draw the full 550 watt, but only take what it needs. Good to know uh?