Inspiron 1720 - Disk Errors Ruin Installation

mnfesq

2 posts in this topic

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 that runs 10.5.8 beautifully (with the sole exception that I can't get two-finger scroll on my Alps Trackpad.) I have a Time Machine Backup that I update whenever I add new tweaks or apps and it has saved me on many, many occasions. The problem I have is that when I restore from my Time Machine Backup, the first time I run Disk Utility, it comes out clean, but after only a few reboots (normal shut down and restart later on) things seem to malfunction. I run disk utility and it reports that I get disk errors such as invalid sibling links, invalid index keys, keys out of order, all sorts of devastating disk errors. Once I have these errors, I can no longer back up with Time Machine and it is only a matter of time before I can no longer boot. At that point, I simply wipe the drive clean and restore from my Time Machine backup. My installation typically lasts no more than 3-4 days before I have to restore.

This is a dual-boot laptop and I do not have any disk errors on my Windows 7 side. It is not the physical hard drive but it may be my Leopard SATA controller or some other disk operating kext. If it helps to diagnose the situation, there are times when I hear the hard drive make a clicking sound and the hard drive led indicator will light up for each clicking sound. Again, this does not happen at all on the Windows side. The hard disk appears to be perfectly normal based on SMART testing. I do run MacDrive 8 on the Windows side if that might have anything to do with this, but I doubt it.

Any ideas, you expert diagnosticians out there?

After combing through the forums here, I found a thread where someone complained that spotlight was causing disk errors. I put my OSX hard drive in the areas to be excluded from spotlight and it seems to be helping. Any idea why spotlight might be causing disk errors? Might there be a workaround to allow some spotlight function?