Help! - Dell inspiron e1705/9400, odd color depth in screen

eoy4

4 posts in this topic

I finally have a full 10.5.8 instalation, with all the software updates as of today. Graphics are 100% working (nvidia 7900 GTX), both cpu cores work with TSC Sync-patched kernel. Only one little stone in my shoe remains...

The internal display, for some reason, looks like it can't display 32 bit color. The system profiler says it has 32-bit color, and if I take a screenshot and watch it in Windows (same computer) it clearly is 32 bit color (I verified the amount of colors in photoshop). But in OSX (even in the installer, before the full drivers are loaded), the gradients look wrong, and the colors are just not 32 bit. For instance, if you slowly move the RGB sliders for the screen background color, you see the same color for a range of values, and then it steps into another color abruptly.

This of course means that this OSX instalation, at least in my laptop display, is completely useless for graphics manipulation... and that happens to be what I do for a living :)

If someone has any clue about this please reply... I have looked into the forums and haven't found anything useful. There is someone in the Natit thread that had the same problem, but I don't think he could solve it.

Thanks! Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump!

Here's what I mean

02072010.jpg

It's a crappy photo taken with my cel, but you can clearly see the steppy gradients.

Any idea of what might be happening?

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Well, it didn't work :censored2: I added my device ID (0x029910de) to the IOPCIPrimaryMatch key inside Info.plist, and the kext is being loaded (checked with kextstat), but I see the same color banding in the gradients. I found this, but nothing I've done has worked so far.

I'd appreciate any other clues :censored2: No idea what to do next.

Thanks!