Getting a 4850HD Golden Sample working

^GoJo^

20 posts in this topic

Hi,

I can install 10.6 without any trouble, however my new graphic card is not supported (at least at first..) so i can't even get 1024*768, i only see artifacts...

My card is a 4850HD Golden Sample 512 with 2x DVI output, i guess it's the 1st model that came out... I didn't find solution for 10.6 so could someone tell me how i do after installing?

I tried one thing that was boot with my old graphic cards, install drivers (but it was for leopard..) then reboot with new card, it worked partially, means i got many resolution expect mine (1650*1080)!

Thank you.

Yes, do what SilentViper said, you're going to get full QE/CI, Reschanging and everything...

Here is the only thing I did to get my video card working great.

@SilentViper:

It doesnt make difference if I put

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

Instead of Yes?

if you are not on 10.6.2 you will also need to plug a dvi>vga dongle in second dvi out in order to use the 1st dvi out, or use ATIframbuffer.kext, ATISupport.kext, and ATI4800Controler.kext from 10.6.2

@SilentViper:

It doesnt make difference if I put

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

Instead of Yes?

makes no difference whatsoever. Netkas wrote PC-EFI so that it only checked the first letter of the <string> meaning you could theoretically put Yellow as the string or any other word that starts with Y

Thanks everyone for your answers. I don't know the device ID yet, but i have a USB Key with the last Ubuntu so i'm going to check that now. Anyway i need to make the procedure clear :

I'll boot in single user mode (right?) then i'll arrive there:

/sbin/mount -uw

Then i'll type this:

cd  /system/library/extensions/

Then first, i have to sudo into ATI4800Controller.kext/contents/ how do i do that? Just type cd ATI4800Controller.kext/contents/?

Then i'll type sudo nano Info.plist followed by the device ID? Or first enter and then type device ID then enter agian? Then Control X ok and reboot.

Then, hopefully it will be working without trouble... I already use a VGA>DVI adapter cause i have VGA cable only. I will update to 10.6.2 after.

So if i understand, i will need to put an adapter in the other slot too, otherwise it won't work? What's the procedure to make it work without?

0x94421002 you mean? It's ok, i'll check that. But i need a clear procedure about how to add the device ID. If you read my last post again, you'll see i'm a bit confused, unsure with it. Why do you i also have to edit the Info.plist? What is it?

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lspci
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV570 [Radeon X1950 Pro]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV570 [Radeon X1950 Pro] (secondary)
03:00.0 IDE interface: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB368 IDE controller
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
06:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

I made test to see (i cut the beginning) and i don't see any device ID into that...?!

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lspci
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV570 [Radeon X1950 Pro]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV570 [Radeon X1950 Pro] (secondary)
03:00.0 IDE interface: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB368 IDE controller
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
06:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

I made test to see (i cut the beginning) and i don't see any device ID into that...?!

i think your supposed to do Lspci -n to get the device Id

0x94421002 is a combination of your device id (9442) and Subsystem ID (1002)

get your device Id verified then i will post back thorough instructions of how to add your device Id

boot in Single User Mode with

-s

at prompt type

mount -uw /

then type

cd /System/Library/Extensions/ATI4800Controller.kext/Contents/

then

sudo nano Info.plist

after 0x944a1002 make sure there is a space and type 0x94421002

so that your whole file looks like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
 <string>English</string>
 <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
 <string>ATI4800Controller</string>
 <key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
 <string>ATI4800Controller 1.6.16.11 (8209)</string>
 <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
 <string>com.apple.kext.ATI4800Controller</string>
 <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
 <string>6.0</string>
 <key>CFBundleName</key>
 <string>Radeon HD 4800 Controller</string>
 <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
 <string>KEXT</string>
 <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
 <string>1.6.16</string>
 <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
 <string>????</string>
 <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
 <string>6.1.6</string>
 <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
 <dict>
	 <key>Controller</key>
	 <dict>
		 <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		 <string>com.apple.kext.ATI4800Controller</string>
		 <key>IOClass</key>
		 <key>IOMatchCategory</key>
		 <string>IOFramebuffer</string>
		 <key>IOName</key>
		 <key>IOPCIMatch</key>
		 <string>0x94401002 0x944a1002 0x94421002</string>
		 <key>IOProbeScore</key>
		 <integer>65000</integer>
		 <key>IOProviderClass</key>
		 <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
		 <key>aty_config</key>
		 <dict>
			 <key>CFG_USE_SRRB</key>
			 <true/>
		 </dict>
	 </dict>
 </dict>
 <key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>
 <string>1.1.36</string>
 <key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
 <dict>
	 <key>com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily</key>
	 <string>1.2</string>
	 <key>com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily</key>
	 <string>1.3</string>
	 <key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
	 <string>1.2</string>
	 <key>com.apple.kext.ATISupport</key>
	 <string>1.1.36</string>
	 <key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>
	 <string>8.0.0</string>
	 <key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
	 <string>8.0.0</string>
	 <key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
	 <string>8.0.0</string>
	 <key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>
	 <string>8.0.0</string>
 </dict>
 <key>OSBundleRequired</key>
 <string>Safe Boot</string>
</dict>
</plist>

hit CTRL X

type Y (for Yes make changes)

then hit enter to accept filename

reboot and at prompt boot ignore caches or with -f

Thanks, I'll do that in 2min when new install is done, i'll be back soon! Since it's 10.6.0, i should put a dvi adapter in 2nd port or it wont't work. Right? Should i put screen cable in left or right port?

Edit: Error writing Info.plist: read only system. Damnnn why?! I did exactly what u said...

Edit: Ok i just forgot a /... Reboot in 10sec!

Thanks, I'll do that in 2min when new install is done, i'll be back soon! Since it's 10.6.0, i should put a dvi adapter in 2nd port or it wont't work. Right? Should i put screen cable in left or right port?

Edit: Error writing Info.plist: read only system. Damnnn why?! I did exactly what u said...

even mount -uw / ??

or whatever it says right before the prompt is dropped

Its ok now.. Just installing myhack again on usb hd to boot up.. Refresh the page to see my new messages since they

become edit of last post.

I booted up with -f like u said but i see grey font only.. I guess it shouldn't take 5min!?

I tried boot again with -f and got artifacts.. Then tried normal boot and get grey font again.. What the hell is missing!?

Edit: Tried with DVI adapter in 2nd port now, artifacts too... I tried all... Damn, why so unlucky!? ;)

Its ok now.. Just installing myhack again on usb hd to boot up.. Refresh the page to see my new messages since they

become edit of last post.

I booted up with -f like u said but i see grey font only.. I guess it shouldn't take 5min!?

I tried boot again with -f and got artifacts.. Then tried normal boot and get grey font again.. What the hell is missing!?

Edit: Tried with DVI adapter in 2nd port now, artifacts too... I tried all... Damn, why so unlucky!? ;)

see if you can get into safe mode

Since i plugged back my old graphic card, i boot up the new install, installed MyHack on it and then i did reboot with the 4850HD and... It worked! So i've no idea why it didn't at first.. I'd really like to know for my next install!!

I had an idea now: i used CCC to copy my older 10.6 install on another partition, then i edited the ATI4800 kext. However, it's not enough, cause the things i installed to make my X1950 works well seems to cause KP. I guess i just have to remove something, the problem is : I don't know what!! Oh, and i got KP when i tried to install the 10.6.4 combo.

Edit: i read that myhack caused KP with 10.6.3 so i guess its logical to get it with 10.6.4 too. Is there another easy loader likz myHackt that would work?