Dual boot Windows 7 & Snow Leopard

5 posts in this topic

Here a guide for installing & multi booting Windows 7 and Snow Leopard on your PC.

Known motherboards that this works with:

Gigabyte P55M-UD2

It should work on most P55 motherboards with i5 processor. If it works for you, please post your motherboard name.

--GUIDE--

What you'll need:

-An USB stick (only for putting some simple files on it)

-1 writable CD

-1 writable DVD Dual Layer (8.5GB) (if you do not have retail snow leopard disc)

-Windows 7 installation disc

Step 1:

- Download: Empire EFI v1.08 (click here)

- Get a retail Snow Leopard disc, or download one and burn on dual layer DVD (TO SUPPORT APPLE, BUY AN UPDATE DISC!)

- Burn the P55/i5 version of Empire EFI to a CD

Step 2:

- Set in your BIOS the following things:

-(Advanced Features) First boot device: CDROM

-(Advanced Features) HDD Priorty: on the hdd you are going to install mac & windows on

-(Integrated Peripherals) SATA RAID/AHCI: AHCI

-(Power Management) ACPI Suspend Type: S3(STR)

-(Power Management) HPET Mode: 64-bit Mode

- Save and exit (F10) out of BIOS.

Step 3:

- Boot your Empire EFI disc.

- Eject when loaded, and insert snow leopard disc.

- Wait until spinning of the disc (on your dvd drive) is finished, then press F5.

- Select the Mac OS X Snow Leopard Installation DVD and press Enter.

Step 4:

- When in the Mac OS X installation, select your language and press the arrow

- Go now on the top to Utilities->Disk Utility

- Select the HDD, and select "partition" from the menu. Make 3 partitions, one Windows (MS-DOS FAT), one Mac (Mac OS X Journaled (Extended)) and one DATA partition (MS-DOS FAT) (you do not need the 3rd one, only when you want to share files trough windows->mac and vice versa). Select at Options: GUID Partition Table.

Step 5:

- Install Mac OS X on your Mac partition. You can hit customize, so you can save some HDD space, like deselecting printer drivers and translations.

- After installation, it will reboot.

- Eject the Mac OS X disc (if this is not possible, it doesn't do anything, turn off your PC and turn off the power supply, and then turn everything on again)

- Insert the Empire EFI disc and boot from that again

- Now select the Mac partition, not a disc.

- Wait until it's booted in Mac.

-- THIS IS THE POINT WHERE YOU CAN UPDATE TO THE LATEST VERSION OF SNOW LEOPARD, THOUGH I DO NOT SAY IT WORKS CORRECTLY FOR EVERYONE. --

Step 6:

- Your Empire EFI disc should be still in it and mac should recognise it as "Legacy Boot CD".

- Go into it from Finder and Go to Extra->Post-Installation.

- Go into myHack Installer.

- Select @ customize: Chocolate Kernel, you might also need PS2Controller. Also select Sleepenabler.kext. You might need some else too.

- Install it on the Mac partition and reboot.

- Eject the Empire EFI disc, and then reboot.

Step 7:

- You should come in a bootloader now. Wait until the progress bar is finished, and you should see the myHack logo and then the spinning wheel. Wait until you're in Mac, now w/o your Empire EFI disc!

- DO NOT DO ANYTHING YET.

Step 8:

- Boot your Windows 7 installation disc. Format the Windows partition to NTFS, and install Windows on it.

- You shouldn't be able to go into mac anymore; don't worry!

- Get EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1) and install

- At "Add/Remove entries", make a new entry: "Mac", "Generic x86", and give it a name. Add it, and reboot.

- You should see two options now when you boot your PC: Windows and Mac!

- Windows should boot normally, and Mac too.

- If you need to, you might want to install some kexts on Mac. (You can get them from places like here or here), and you'll need Kext Helper to install them.

Enjoy your Windows-Mac dual boot now!

--A guide by gdscei--

Here a guide for installing & multi booting Windows 7 and Snow Leopard on your PC.

Known motherboards that this works with:

Gigabyte P55M-UD2

It should work on most P55 motherboards with i5 processor. If it works for you, please post your motherboard name.

--GUIDE--

What you'll need:

-An USB stick (only for putting some simple files on it)

-1 writable CD

-1 writable DVD Dual Layer (8.5GB) (if you do not have retail snow leopard disc)

-Windows 7 installation disc

Step 1:

- Download: Empire EFI v1.08 (click here)

- Get a retail Snow Leopard disc, or download one and burn on dual layer DVD (TO SUPPORT APPLE, BUY AN UPDATE DISC!)

- Burn the P55/i5 version of Empire EFI to a CD

Step 2:

- Set in your BIOS the following things:

-(Advanced Features) First boot device: CDROM

-(Advanced Features) HDD Priorty: on the hdd you are going to install mac & windows on

-(Integrated Peripherals) SATA RAID/AHCI: AHCI

-(Power Management) ACPI Suspend Type: S3(STR)

-(Power Management) HPET Mode: 64-bit Mode

- Save and exit (F10) out of BIOS.

Step 3:

- Boot your Empire EFI disc.

- Eject when loaded, and insert snow leopard disc.

- Wait until spinning of the disc (on your dvd drive) is finished, then press F5.

- Select the Mac OS X Snow Leopard Installation DVD and press Enter.

Step 4:

- When in the Mac OS X installation, select your language and press the arrow

- Go now on the top to Utilities->Disk Utility

- Select the HDD, and select "partition" from the menu. Make 3 partitions, one Windows (MS-DOS FAT), one Mac (Mac OS X Journaled (Extended)) and one DATA partition (MS-DOS FAT) (you do not need the 3rd one, only when you want to share files trough windows->mac and vice versa). Select at Options: GUID Partition Table.

Step 5:

- Install Mac OS X on your Mac partition. You can hit customize, so you can save some HDD space, like deselecting printer drivers and translations.

- After installation, it will reboot.

- Eject the Mac OS X disc (if this is not possible, it doesn't do anything, turn off your PC and turn off the power supply, and then turn everything on again)

- Insert the Empire EFI disc and boot from that again

- Now select the Mac partition, not a disc.

- Wait until it's booted in Mac.

-- THIS IS THE POINT WHERE YOU CAN UPDATE TO THE LATEST VERSION OF SNOW LEOPARD, THOUGH I DO NOT SAY IT WORKS CORRECTLY FOR EVERYONE. --

Step 6:

- Your Empire EFI disc should be still in it and mac should recognise it as "Legacy Boot CD".

- Go into it from Finder and Go to Extra->Post-Installation.

- Go into myHack Installer.

- Select @ customize: Chocolate Kernel, you might also need PS2Controller. Also select Sleepenabler.kext. You might need some else too.

- Install it on the Mac partition and reboot.

- Eject the Empire EFI disc, and then reboot.

Step 7:

- You should come in a bootloader now. Wait until the progress bar is finished, and you should see the myHack logo and then the spinning wheel. Wait until you're in Mac, now w/o your Empire EFI disc!

- DO NOT DO ANYTHING YET.

Step 8:

- Boot your Windows 7 installation disc. Format the Windows partition to NTFS, and install Windows on it.

- You shouldn't be able to go into mac anymore; don't worry!

- Get EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1) and install

- At "Add/Remove entries", make a new entry: "Mac", "Generic x86", and give it a name. Add it, and reboot.

- You should see two options now when you boot your PC: Windows and Mac!

- Windows should boot normally, and Mac too.

- If you need to, you might want to install some kexts on Mac. (You can get them from places like here or here), and you'll need Kext Helper to install them.

Enjoy your Windows-Mac dual boot now!

--A guide by gdscei--

I Was Trying To Do This ^, But I Need To Make My Snow Leopard Partition Bigger As I Only Made It About 50 GB and ran Out Of Space, Can You Make The Partition Bigger? Because I Tried Using Easues Partition Manager And It Wouldn't. And I Couldn't Figure Out How On Snow Leopard Either, Any Thoughts? Can It Be Done = )

I Was Trying To Do This ^, But I Need To Make My Snow Leopard Partition Bigger As I Only Made It About 50 GB and ran Out Of Space, Can You Make The Partition Bigger? Because I Tried Using Easues Partition Manager And It Wouldn't. And I Couldn't Figure Out How On Snow Leopard Either, Any Thoughts? Can It Be Done = )

resizing is risky, so you shouldn't probably do it. can't you make a new partition and throw your files on that?

Looks very good, well written. This looks like it would make it into the tutorial section.

I just posted there. It's waiting for moderation now.

• 3 weeks later...
This looks like it would make it into the tutorial section.

I don't think so. But this is the best tutorial I saw never.

Just a question. What must I do for not delete anything having windows 7 already installed?