A MacBook Keyboard issue

3 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

Please excuse the shortness of this post but right now I'm being forced to type on my macbook pro (from jan '10) with the keyboard viewer in os x because it seems the ctrl key on my macbook's keyboard is permanently stuck, whether or not i boot on os x or windows. Resetting the SMC does not help, and i cannot reset the PRAM, as it requires the ctrl key not to be held down. Oddly enough, the ctrl key only gets stuck when the first key is pressed after the comput er is started up, and will not go back down untill i reboot. I think that I'm still under warranty, but what do you think guys? is it the keyboard or the motherboard? help would be appreciated (oh, and it wasn't water over the keyboard or anything like that in case you ask ;))

Thanks! (and sorry for the poor layout, but this took me like 25 minutes to "type")

I understand what you're saying except for the position of the key. Is the key stuck down physically or is it a software issue. I believe that open firmware is still on these machines so if you boot open firmware by pressing Command-Option-O-F you can reset the *rams by typing:

reset-pram
reset-all

If it didn't reboot.

bye

• 4 weeks later...

I had an issue similar to this after I managed to get water into my keyboard.

You can use an external USB keyboard to do the reset PRAM and NVRAM at boot.

I ended up having to replace the keyboard (30 bucks to buy a replacement off of Ebay, fairly simple to replace).