Acer Aspire Revo 3610 driving me nuts!

4 posts in this topic

**Before any of you play the "Google is your friend" card, I have searched like crazy, found some guides, followed them 100% and theres seem to go right into install...**

Hi, okay I have an Acer Aspire Revo 3610, its Dual core atom based ION platform. I used many bootloaders, and only Empire EFI Legacy for atom cpu's, worked, I was able to install the snow leopard retail dvd, installed myhack newest version with graphics enabler. Everything worked! EVEN WIFI!!! only audio did not work. Okay, so my sister updated it to 10.6.3 ... and upon reboot it gets stuck at the grey apple logo screen... yay.. lol. Anyways I decided to reinstall, since i had nothing installed other than the system itself and myhack.

I put my Empire EFI Legacy dvd in like last time, and loaded my retail dvd... and it keeps saying "Still waiting for root device" so weird, nothing was touched in the bios, so weird that its having problems getting into the installation now...

My Bios settings are: Hyper threading disabled, Intel XD bit disabled, Sata set to AHCI

(( People tell me I need to have USB Legacy disabled, that will cure the still waiting for root device thing... but the problem is... if I disable it, I wont be able to run the external dvd driver! Bleh..))

I formatted the hard drive using Gparted, and its still having the same waiting for root device... here is a screen shot (Note that this screen shot doesnt show still waiting for root device, i was impatient and didnt wait for it to show)

30035_1447310777312_1069445698_31276815_1937271_n.jpg

**Before any of you play the "Google is your friend" card, I have searched like crazy, found some guides, followed them 100% and theres seem to go right into install...**

Hi, okay I have an Acer Aspire Revo 3610, its Dual core atom based ION platform. I used many bootloaders, and only Empire EFI Legacy for atom cpu's, worked, I was able to install the snow leopard retail dvd, installed myhack newest version with graphics enabler. Everything worked! EVEN WIFI!!! only audio did not work. Okay, so my sister updated it to 10.6.3 ... and upon reboot it gets stuck at the grey apple logo screen... yay.. lol. Anyways I decided to reinstall, since i had nothing installed other than the system itself and myhack.

I put my Empire EFI Legacy dvd in like last time, and loaded my retail dvd... and it keeps saying "Still waiting for root device" so weird, nothing was touched in the bios, so weird that its having problems getting into the installation now...

My Bios settings are: Hyper threading disabled, Intel XD bit disabled, Sata set to AHCI

(( People tell me I need to have USB Legacy disabled, that will cure the still waiting for root device thing... but the problem is... if I disable it, I wont be able to run the external dvd driver! Bleh..))

I formatted the hard drive using Gparted, and its still having the same waiting for root device... here is a screen shot (Note that this screen shot doesnt show still waiting for root device, i was impatient and didnt wait for it to show)

30035_1447310777312_1069445698_31276815_1937271_n.jpg

So weird... I decided to install iDeneb 10.5.6, using voodoo kernel... i did not get waiting for root device.. went into install easily (safe mode type -x) and upon restart, it freezes... fine... then i decided to try the snow leopard retail method again... and it decided to work... wtf?? My only guess is that when i did the iDeneb, I repartitioned the drive into GUID ( I think i had it as MBR before) i think by changing to GUID, fixed the root device thing when trying to install retail... though it could just be a fluke... since it should be working even if there was no hard drive.. should still be able to get in... bleh i will test out some more, see if it was just a fluke or not. Get back to you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

so.... did you ever get this up and running?

I shrunk the win7 partition on my internal hdd and installed with a 8gb USB stick partitioned the following

:

::Rough draft::

-Dual Boot Windows 7 and OSX Snow Leopard for Acer Aspire Revo 3610-

Boot windows

right click my computer - manage

in left pane click disk management

in the bottom pane right click on your windows 7 partition stock name is ACER (C:) - Shrink volume

Shrink it at least 10 GB (i did 30GB, somewhat balanced, but its all preference)

format empty space at the end of the disk as fat32 (this will be your SL partition)

USB Installer & Multiboot

(if you don't have a mac or osx86 available, i may have another way.)

if your running anything besides windows you can partition your usb using the usual methods.

for windows only XP can format a USB stick by mounting it as a fixed disk (Hitachi usb RMB driver hack post third from bottom)

partition 1:)100mb, GRUB4DOS partition holding multiple boot cd images (Download Empire EFI V1.085 R2 and others if you like)

Partition 2:)remaining GB, restored dmg or iso of SL retail DVD 10.6.0

BIOS

XD-on

HTT-off (on in patched 10.6.2)

sata-ahci

legacy usb- on

you may need to set the usb as the first harddisk to get rid of waiting for root device. i don't really remember as I tried so many times with different options.

INSTALL

-F12 to choose boot device (USB)

-boot with legacy empire

-choose your retail install partition and boot verbose (-v)

-if you make it to the install screen great

-accept all the stuff in the beginning and when it asks you to choose destination goto utilities and disk utility

-format the fat32 partition on your internal HDD, that you shrunk before, as journaled (whatever the default is at the top of the drop down) ::TODO: refine discription::

-install to this journaled partition

-Drink Coffee or Guinness depending on time of day. (~1hr wait)

-reboot

-F12

-boot regular empire (-v)

-choose your SL partition

-POST INSTALL-

-after you boot into your HDD SL partition using empire, there should be two images mounted on the desktop. GRUB4DOS and SL Install DVD open the GRUB4DOS folder and mount empire EFI.

-run myhack installer. when you get to the choose destination section, click 'customize' and select 'graphics enabler'

-click install

-drink more Coffee or Guinness (~0.5hr wait)

-DL chamelion RC3(or 2?) and save a copy of the boot0 to the USB partition GRUB4DOS so you can get to it from windows

-reboot to windows

-DL easyBCD

-add generic x86 pc to the bootloader - 'save'

-customize it to load from c:\ - 'save'

-create a new folder in c:\ named 'NST'

-inside that folder copy over the boot0 file and rename it 'nst_mac.mbr'

-reboot and choose your 'NST' option form the windows bootloader

-now you should be in SL with graphics working.

-More to come

current status:

No HTT before 10.6.2 but cpu recognized as c2d

WIFI- Works in 32bit kernel but not x64 (dunno y yet)

USB good with patched chameleon + USBLegacyOff=yes ::TODO-Link to patched /boot::

Audio- Works great, no crackle

Let me know how this works out or if I STB (Sh*t the Bed) on any of these steps. Its a first draft so help is welcome.

::TODO:: (Sorry i did all this from memory at my office, coming soon though)

::Add Boot.plist

::Add /Extras/Extensions folder contents

::List sources and give credit to others

• 2 weeks later...