HDD - which type is best.

5 posts in this topic

I read somewhere some time ago that IDE drive is better for installing Mac OS X on PC because unlike SATA drives, it doesn't show "Still waiting for root device" error (which personally I experienced on my PC 2 times when I tried to install Snow Leopard - I have SATA drive). Is that true ?

I read somewhere some time ago that IDE drive is better for installing Mac OS X on PC because unlike SATA drives, it doesn't show "Still waiting for root device" error (which personally I experienced on my PC 2 times when I tried to install Snow Leopard - I have SATA drive). Is that true ?

From personal experience, I've had fantastic luck with my 60GB OCZ Vertex SSD for the storage drive, and a 500gb WD Black SATA drive, never have any hangups when my dsdt.aml and ep45-ud3l are properly configured. Using Cartri's BIOS makes things even easier. I don't believe it to be true that you'd have any greater luck with IDE Devices, you would take a performance hit if anything.

No, that's not true, and I would like to know where you read that so I can go hit whoever wrote it upside their head with a wet newspaper.

"Still waiting for root device" means that OS X failed to communicate with the hard drive controller on your motherboard that the drive is connected to. It can happen with both PATA and SATA controllers, it normally doesn't have anything to do with the drive itself.

It usually happens because there are no drivers for your motherboard drive controller on your installation media, or because the SATA controller hasn't been set to AHCI mode in the BIOS.

More information:

http://apple2pc.blogspot.com/2008/05/still...oot-device.html

http://apple2pc.blogspot.com/2008/11/still...-device-ii.html