Pentium D 920 2.8 ghz CPU showing up as 4 ghz!

5 posts in this topic

I put together a osx86 rig with a Pentium D 920 cpu. When I boot to OS X, the system profile says 4 ghz! Is it really running at 4 ghz? I wanted to overclock this sucker to 4 ghz anyway since I have a badass HSF, but I thought I couldn't do that with an intel board. Could there be a bug where the motherboard is determining the wrong FSB speed? I know when you up the FSB with other motherboards, you can reach 4 ghz.

picture3ns3.png

Here is what sysctl returns about my cpu:

machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
machdep.cpu.model_string: Intel Pentium 4
machdep.cpu.family: 15
machdep.cpu.model: 6
machdep.cpu.extmodel: 0
machdep.cpu.extfamily: 0
machdep.cpu.feature_bits: -1075053569 58429
machdep.cpu.extfeature_bits: 537919488 1
machdep.cpu.stepping: 2
machdep.cpu.signature: 3938
machdep.cpu.brand: 0
machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL VMX CX16 TPR
machdep.cpu.extfeatures: XD EM64T
machdep.cpu.logical_per_package: 2
machdep.cpu.cores_per_package: 2
hw.byteorder: 1234
hw.memsize: 2147483648
hw.activecpu: 2
hw.physicalcpu: 2
hw.physicalcpu_max: 2
hw.logicalcpu: 2
hw.logicalcpu_max: 2
hw.cputype: 7
hw.cpusubtype: 10
hw.pagesize: 4096
hw.busfrequency: 800000000
hw.busfrequency_min: 800000000
hw.busfrequency_max: 800000000
hw.cpufrequency: 2800000000
hw.cpufrequency_min: 4000000000
hw.cpufrequency_max: 4000000000
hw.cachelinesize: 64
hw.l1icachesize: 12288
hw.l1dcachesize: 16384
hw.l2cachesize: 2097152
hw.tbfrequency: 1000000000
hw.optional.floatingpoint: 1
hw.optional.mmx: 1
hw.optional.sse: 1
hw.optional.sse2: 1
hw.optional.sse3: 1

Oh, I also got the latest firmware update (released a few days ago) for my mobo. I never noticed the system profiler saying 4 ghz before that. I'll see if I can downgrade my firmware to see.

Update: I guess the OS is just returning the wrong value. I booted to Windows XP, and it said it was running at 2.8 ghz. The FSB seems normal.

Update: I guess the OS is just returning the wrong value. I booted to Windows XP, and it said it was running at 2.8 ghz. The FSB seems normal.

The other you may notice is that SSE3 is missing from the description list of the CPU. This does not mean that SSE3 is being emulated.

Both the 4 GHz issue and the SSE3 issue are well known here.

I have a similar problem except that my 'About This Mac' windows shows I'm running at 4.30 GHz when my processor is only 3 GHz. It doesn't stop there, if I click on my 'More Info...' button; it shows my CPU speed as 42.45 GHz!!! Thats crazy! And yes it looks like SSE3 is missing from the CPU features list. Another weird thing is that this only happens part of the time. After a restart, my computer will either display all info correctly and work perfectly. Sometimes however, it'll display that bogus info and any graffical effects will run really sluggish. My dock for example as well as opening new windows, menu transparencies and expose to name a few are SLOOOOOWWW. You'd figure they would be running even faster if my CPU indeed was running at that higher speed! Anyway, I take it there's no known fix for this as you say is a well known issue. I'm spaking new to the forum so I have no idea yet whats common knowledge and what isn't. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks guys!