Fix mbr or?

guitarist

4 posts in this topic

All went fine until the last stage of this process. I have a very new Dell laptop so they have their own stuff at the beginning of the hard drive. Acronis told me it coudn't load the OS app due to space limit or something like that. Yeah, after it ran itself and messed it up, possibly. So I've been trying to dial it all back from the UBCD that we've been warned to create. I'm in SPFDisk right now and hit 7. Rebuild the MBR and it says "ERROR Partition table access failure" Any ideas? Do I need a boot managing app like GRUB? I have made a BartPE CD previously, so maybe I'll spin that and see if I can access the boot.ini .

Shuzbut!!!! I'm just a musician not an egghead! Though that line's getting blurry too..

EDIT: Partition Magic sees all the partitions with the right flags. But when booting- blue screen with flashing curser top left.

Boot from BartPE windows CD and the boot.ini was OK. I actually have two XP installs (one for recording audio) both were normal. Now I added a line C:\chain0=MacOS X" which didn't help.

You didn't mention if you actually uninstall/inactivate Acronis OS Selector (AOS). One should always do that with a boot selector before going on to install another type of boot selector whether it be AOS, Grub or SPFDISK. Try booting up with AOS recovery disk and actually uninstall AOS if you haven't already done so. You may have other partition errors seeing how many different products you have tried. A new wiped HD install may be easier to install something experimental such as the hacked OSX.

You didn't mention if you actually uninstall/inactivate Acronis OS Selector (AOS). One should always do that with a boot selector before going on to install another type of boot selector whether it be AOS, Grub or SPFDISK. Try booting up with AOS recovery disk and actually uninstall AOS if you haven't already done so. You may have other partition errors seeing how many different products you have tried. A new wiped HD install may be easier to install something experimental such as the hacked OSX.

I may just do that: Wipe it all. In SUSE I had run the disk utility and some partitions weren't in order. I don't know how to fix that. If I do use the Hitachi hard drive setup utility and then Partition Magic, what would be a good partition setup/sequence for two XP installs and the OSX install? So that all is in order.

edit: I used XPs recovery console (booted from XP CD) and hit return thus bypassing the password login. I typed fixmbr (fixmbr uninstalls the Acronis OS boot manager), rebooted, now I see the boot menu but get an error: system32\hal.dll and all three boot options showed the same error.

last edit: Nuked the drive and rebuilt partions. Much better. Good advise. Thank you, kindly.