Kernal Panic after Install!

5 posts in this topic

I've been trying to dual boot Win7 and SL on my machine, and it's being a pain in the butt.

My system:

Motherboard: Biostar A0770E

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4400+

GPU: Nvidia 8800gt

This is my install method:

1) Use Disk Utility to format HDD into two partitions, Win7 is a 250gb Fat32 with Master Boot Record, SL is a 50gb Mac OSX extended (journaled) with GUID.

2) Select the OSX partition.

3) Install.

4) It installs fine.

5) Hit reboot.

6) Kernal Panic.

This is what the KP message says exactly:

warning: invalid kernel ip, won't attempt to handle trap

Please contact the Voodoo Kernel dev-team...

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001ABFFD); Kernel trap at 0x0019aBc2, type 14=page faul, registers;

CRO: 0x8000...

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x54a...

No mapping exists for frame pointer

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0xbffff628

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: launchd

Mac OS version:

9A581

Kernel version:

Darwin kernel Version 9.5.0: Sat Dec 6...

If I restart without the install disk it says "Missing Operating System"

So, what's the problem? Does it have something to do with my install method? Does it have something to do with my processor. There are instructions during the install as for processor specific problems, it says "cpu=1" where/when do I enter this? In a terminal window? How do I open it.

Thanks.

Ok, so I figured out how to get to the boot options screen (after I install and restart with the KP if I take out the install disk it brings me to a darwin boot screen), but now if I hit f8 and I type in "cpus=1" it just sits on the gray screen with the apple boot logo. No circle spinny loading thing, just a gray screen with the apple logo.

When I try to boot with the -v option, the text moves to fast for me to see, but it says something about loading a whole bunch of kexts, than something about ACPI and loading the kernel, than it just sits on a black screen with no text.

What should I do now?

What distro are you using to install SL? There are guides for dual booting Win7 and SL. Search the forums for exactly that.

What distro are you using to install SL? There are guides for dual booting Win7 and SL. Search the forums for exactly that.

I'm not entirely sure of the distro I'm using, I downloaded it from a torrent site. It's called "SnowLeo Mac OSX86 for Intel/AMD 32/64 Bit [GPT/MBR]. Do you have a specific distro you'd recommend?

As for the dual booting, I don't have a problem with that at all. Chameleon has no problem recognizing my Windows Install and I have no problem booting into it. My problem is with the actual Hackintosh install.

You should try LeoHazard distro. Google Leohazard and the first one on the search list should be leo's site, there you will find helpful information on how to obtain their distro. Download it, burn it, and hopefully it installs. If it doesn't, then I would suggest installing Leopard first, then install Snow Leopard.