Leopard won't boot after 10.5.8 update

yonyz

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've followed this guide in order to update my hackintosh from 10.5.5 to 10.5.8.

However, I didn't do what the tutorial said I should have done on osx86tools, because I couldn't paunch the application. In fact, once the 10.5.8 combo update was finished installing, I couldn't launch ANY application. I tried different browsers, Disk Utility and all sorts of unrelated apps, just to see if anything works. So I had no choice but to hit the Restart button of the installer, and now I can't boot. It's stuck at the gray Apple logo screen. In verbose mode, it's stuck at "FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.".

Any idea what to do now? Perhaps, as the tutorial suggests, cleaning the kexts cache would help, but I'm not sure and I don't know how to do that without osx itself.

Edit: Nevermind. I decided to give up on the hackintosh thingy. I might still get a Mac one day, as I know my problems are hackintosh--, and not OS X-related.

LMAO!

Yeah, I have the same problem. :unsure:

I've tried every tip I could find and everything I could think of. I'm taking a break and just running 10.5.6 for a while. But I'll get it eventually.

Real Macs are MUCH easier but no where near as fun ( I have a couple). They work all the time with no fuss. Where is the fun in that? :)

Out of curiosity....what are your system specs?

since you have the EXACT same problem as I do......

Intel Q6600

GeForce GTS 250

ESI Juli@

GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R

As for the fact that real Macs are much easier to use - I know that, which is why I might still get a Mac one day.

Also, I want to use the computer as a tool, and OSX86 only makes me focus on fixing the computer, instead of actually making use of it.

Compared to OSX86, Windows 7 just works.

You know, I had that same problem; to fix it, I:

1) booted from the 10.5.7 iaktosv7 dvd

2) reset the password and ACLs to the root admin and myself

3) loaded only the original drivers and kernel patches used in the original install.

I was racking my brain trying to figure that out as I am new to this MAC on AMD stuff, but I'm and Engineer so I like to trouble shoot... anyway, perhaps doing what I did will help you out... if not I tried ;)

When I boot up now, its updated to 10.5.8... however after I have my own issues to work out.. cant get my NVIDIA GForce 9800GT to work, random kernel panics when trying to download, safari crashes...ect you name it...

Intel Q6600

GeForce GTS 250

ESI Juli@

GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R

As for the fact that real Macs are much easier to use - I know that, which is why I might still get a Mac one day.

Also, I want to use the computer as a tool, and OSX86 only makes me focus on fixing the computer, instead of actually making use of it.

Compared to OSX86, Windows 7 just works.

You know, I had that same problem; to fix it, I:

1) booted from the 10.5.7 iaktosv7 dvd

2) reset the password and ACLs to the root admin and myself

3) loaded only the original drivers and kernel patches used in the original install.

I was racking my brain trying to figure that out as I am new to this MAC on AMD stuff, but I'm and Engineer so I like to trouble shoot... anyway, perhaps doing what I did will help you out... if not I tried :)

When I boot up now, its updated to 10.5.8... however after I have my own issues to work out.. cant get my NVIDIA GForce 9800GT to work, random kernel panics when trying to download, safari crashes...ect you name it...

Yes, trouble shooting was fun to me, too, but only at first. After two days, I grew tired of it. I just wanted my programs to work. Now they do. But on Windows. ;)

Had the same thing after running the 10.5.8 update, turns out I needed the Voodoo kernel. Installed that, boots as before now.

Did you dl the latest? Can you plz link it? :)

And did you do anything special? :)

Hi,

I've followed this guide in order to update my hackintosh from 10.5.5 to 10.5.8.

However, I didn't do what the tutorial said I should have done on osx86tools, because I couldn't paunch the application. In fact, once the 10.5.8 combo update was finished installing, I couldn't launch ANY application. I tried different browsers, Disk Utility and all sorts of unrelated apps, just to see if anything works. So I had no choice but to hit the Restart button of the installer, and now I can't boot. It's stuck at the gray Apple logo screen. In verbose mode, it's stuck at "FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.".

Any idea what to do now? Perhaps, as the tutorial suggests, cleaning the kexts cache would help, but I'm not sure and I don't know how to do that without osx itself.

Edit: Nevermind. I decided to give up on the hackintosh thingy. I might still get a Mac one day, as I know my problems are hackintosh--, and not OS X-related.

You could have just used the iDeneb patched 10.5.8 update, it worked for me.

You didnt give much details as to what your specs are, what distro you used etc. I followed this link and I have iatkos 10.5.8 running flawlessly dualbooting with Windows 7.

I downloaded and installed the update, rebooted off the iatkos dvd. Reinstalled drivers (for me I just use the EFI string driver that v7 has, for my 8800gt it was the DVI/VGA driver), VoodooHDA for audio, realtek R1000 or whatever it was for my NIC, and selected the fixes like the shutdown fix etc. Just goto the install screen like you did when you first installed OSX but only choose drivers/fixes, unselected anything else like bootloader, main system etc.

After I did that I rebooted again off the DVD, this time to enter Disk Utility and repaired permissions. I think I had to do this twice for some reason, but after doing that I rebooted back into OSX and everything now works great.