Want to move my SL to MBR disk

4 posts in this topic

I have a 10.6.3 installed on a GPT disk and I want to move it to my main drive which is partitioned in MBR. Will I run into issues if I use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy Snow Leopard over?

UPDATE: I used CCC and is able to boot up SL on my MBR based drive.

Have you read the manual?

I've never used CCC but it looks like you must format the partition to HFS+ first (at least):

http://www.bombich.com/software/docs/CCC/e...iew/format.html

I can't tell from the documentation if it will work with an MBR formatted drive at all.

Try it and see. Remember you'll have to manually install a bootloader on the MBR formatted drive after copying your Snow installation to it.

It should work fine. That's how I installed my 10.6 system onto an MBR disk -- I installed to a spare disk that I partitioned as GPT, then copied the installation to an MBR disk. I'm 95% sure I used Carbon Copy Cloner, but that means there's a 5% chance I'm remembering incorrectly and I used something else.

Have you read the manual?

I've never used CCC but it looks like you must format the partition to HFS+ first (at least):

http://www.bombich.com/software/docs/CCC/e...iew/format.html

I can't tell from the documentation if it will work with an MBR formatted drive at all.

Try it and see. Remember you'll have to manually install a bootloader on the MBR formatted drive after copying your Snow installation to it.

Thanks. I think I should be able to format the partition to HFS+. As of now, my Leopard setup is on a HFS+ partition on a MBR based disk and co-exist with Win7. I will have to look into the bootloader

It should work fine. That's how I installed my 10.6 system onto an MBR disk -- I installed to a spare disk that I partitioned as GPT, then copied the installation to an MBR disk. I'm 95% sure I used Carbon Copy Cloner, but that means there's a 5% chance I'm remembering incorrectly and I used something else.

Thank you, good to hear success story before I make the move. Even if CCC doesn't work out, at least I know it is possible to have SL on a MBR based drive.