10.6.3 Retail DVD Kernel Panic on Boot

yonyz

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm trying to install the retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3 DVD using Chameleon v2.0 RC3, but I'm getting a kernel panic because of the SleepEnabler kext.

Is there a way to boot the DVD without this kext? I hope I won't have to modify the image and burn it again, cause I'm out of DL DVDs, and I'll only be able to get one on Sunday.

But I'm seeing it in the Panic error using -v! And what am I supposed to do with that link?

Your question was:

"Is there a way to boot the DVD without this kext?"

. . . well, yes - there is; it is not a part of the retail DVD & most certainly not needed to boot the retail DVD; so don't install it from wherever you sourced it [not the retail 10.6.3 DVD] to wherever you installed it.

The link is to the project home & source for sleepenabler - you may have seen a d/l link there for the 10.6.3 version.

I didn't install anything. I'm just trying to boot the DVD. Here's what -v has to say:

Debugger called: <panic>
...blah blah blah...
Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler(1.0.0)@0x28535000->0x28536fff

it also says the Darwin kernel version is 10.3.0.

I didn't install anything. I'm just trying to boot the DVD. Here's what -v has to say:

Debugger called: <panic>
...blah blah blah...
Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
[color="#FF0000"]sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler[/color](1.0.0)@0x28535000->0x28536fff

it also says the Darwin kernel version is 10.3.0.

1) sleepenabler is not on the retail DVD - OK?

2) You have a boot-message referring to sleepenabler

3) you 'didn't install anything'

So how do you get this message?

. . are you suggesting sleepenabler is an airborne infection?

Dammit, I'm getting this message by trying to boot the DVD using a boot cd (Chameleon). Why would I lie, ffs?
. . . then you need a bootCD without sleepenabler [or without an old version of sleepenabler] on it.

You don't need this *.kext to boot or install OSX - OK?

I read that you need to place the kexts in a folder in the iso. If you could tell me the name of that folder... That's all I need. I'll edit it myself.

Edit: Just checked the ISO file. It contains a .dmg file inside it. Is there a way to access this file on Windows? Meanwhile, I'll be trying different boot-132 CDs.

Just checked the ISO file. It contains a .dmg file inside it. Is there a way to access this file on Windows?
yes

Meanwhile, I'll be trying different boot-132 CDs.
boot-132 CDs are [strictly speaking] individual to each motherboard; the search function is your friend

found some boot 132 cd for Snow Leopard and I'm now in the OS X installer. I can add missing kexts later, right?

Edit: My PS2 keyboard does not work. I had a PS2 to USB converter, but I can't find it, and I don't have the money for a new one. This sucks.

Edit 2: Found it! :D Ive been searching for it for months. Now let's see if I can actually get into the OS. :ninja:

Thanks for the help so far, shoarthing. :(