How can I repair popped out G5 rivets?

pubjoe

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm sorry if this isn't the place for threads like this, but everytime I do a search on G5 case fixes, the amazing projects in this place always come up top. So I know you guys have a lot of experience with these things.

Today I received a G5 case from ebay ...Presumably it's been damaged during transport (I haven't bothered contacting the seller) and the bottom of the case has become completely detached.

I've tried unscrewing a rivet from the inside and popping it back in but I just can't do it.

What can I do to fix this?

e3b76343.jpg

b5888566.jpg

Hi,

I'm sorry if this isn't the place for threads like this, but everytime I do a search on G5 case fixes, the amazing projects in this place always come up top. So I know you guys have a lot of experience with these things.

Today I received a G5 case from ebay ...Presumably it's been damaged during transport (I haven't bothered contacting the seller) and the bottom of the case has become completely detached.

I've tried unscrewing a rivet from the inside and popping it back in but I just can't do it.

What can I do to fix this?

Hi pubjoe

snap

I had the exact same issue

my thoughts

remove the rivets, use an inverted cone bur in a dremel to remove the fine lip in the hole ( the rivets must be press fitted originally)

sandblast the hole and the rivet

make sure the rivet will sit flush, block the base of the screw thread as you do not want the adhesive welling up and stopping the screw from seating. Use a strong glue, I used araldite epoxy resin , wait and hope

its a pain that the sellers who do NOT have the original box do not pack these cases for transport appropriately

these legs/stands, whatever you want to call them, are not supposed to be overloaded which is likely to happen in transit ( read dropped).

its the base of the machine where the PSU is that should be well supported , but still cushioned, from a serious jolt not the legs

good luck

boxman

Thank you very much.

Yes, when packing items, it's best to expect that the package will be thrown, dropped and squashed by the delivery company.

I will look into sourcing the tools/materials you suggest.

Tbh, if it's going to be a big lot of trouble to get hold of everything, I may just drill through the loose part creating a row of studs holding the base/feet to the case. I know, it's not the nicest solution, but it would definitely be the easiest.