[How To] Install Snow Leo on Acer 6292

peach-os

114 posts in this topic

like many I´ve been waiting for mercurysquads development for the 4965AGN wireless.

BIG MISTAKE !

I finally bought a mini pci express wireless card to replace it - an Atheros AR5BXB61 for 10 euros on ebay.

It was immediately recognized as Airport Extreme - all I had to do is to trash NetworkInterfaces.plist in Library/Preferences/systemconfiguration to get it workin 100%

sideffect is that the Broadcom Ethernet 5787 changes it´s id to 1404e:1693 instead of the exotic before - the reason I had to hexedit the AppleBCM5701.kext which you might be using now.

now I can just use the fully functional kext from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...&hl=hexedit !!!!

so if you are going to install on this notebook, replace the wireless first to get an easy going,fully working machine!

post-120974-1296084854_thumb.png

in menu you can see the airport and the speedstepping - small guide for speedstep is following

post-120974-1296084243_thumb.png

with the new HW Sensors from here http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showforum=165

a comfortable measuring is available to control temps for cpu, graphics,cpu voltage and other sensors. great work!

post-120974-1296086982_thumb.png

install the HW Sensors to S/L/E IntelCpuMonitor doesn´t work from Extra. I deleted in SuperIOFamily already all plugins that aren´t needed to make boot time shorter

to get proper speedstepping you have to check first Generate P-States, Generate C-States and Drop SSDT in Chameleon preferences.

but it won´t start throttling before setting the needed model id in smbios.plist

according to the hardware specs of the Acer6292 it should be MacBook3,1 , because the closest match is the MacBook late 2007 - but this won´t work!

MacPro3,1 would give you speedstepping, but avoid some functions. to keep everything working (i.e. coolbook if needed)

I decided to follow silencers guide here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211705

and to create a legacy.kext for the acer6292. all credits to him !

put the attached legacyAcer6292.kext in Extra and set the model to MacBook3,2 in SMBios.plist, reboot -

et voilá! speedstep is working! you can proof it with voodoomonitor

post-120974-1296088515_thumb.pngpost-120974-1296088418_thumb.png post-120974-1296088436_thumb.png

p-states in vodoomonitor - throttling at lowest p-state - highest p-state

you can see the throttling also in the free version of coolbook and use it to raise the cpu load for testing

post-120974-1296088921_thumb.png

all needed files are in the attached package, except iStat for measuring - look for last free version 2.0 or you have to buy it for 16 bucks !

EDIT: if you experience kernel panics, get rid of iStat or other hardware sensors !

acer6292_speedstep.zip

• 2 months later...

Hi peach-os,

I use your guide to install SL on my Acer 6292, but when I reboot the system I don't have the chameleon menù :dance_24: (Look the image, alphanumeric characters meaningless)

Can you help me?

My HD partition is MBR:

Partition 1: Win XP

Partition 2: Win 7

Partition 3: Snow Leopard Boot flag

fingerprint is enable

Thanks

by Marcuss

post-624069-1301299235_thumb.jpg

sorry I can´t analyze what is wrong, but I can tell you how it works.

is there a specific reason you are using MBR partition? because Win XP ? (who needs that ?)

this way it works:

partitition your HD with GUID in two partititions. format first with HFS and the second with FAT.

now reboot and install WIN 7 on second partition ( with FAT it could be recognized and reformated with ntfs)

after this install Mac OS X on first partition and apply Chameleon.

If Win doesn´t boot afterwards, just use the repair function of the WIN 7 DVD and it will work.

as far as I remember you will always have problems booting chameleon from any other partition than the first.

please someone correct me if I´m wrong.

it might also work also with a third XP partition - but I never tried, because I´m really happy not to use ths f*****

OS any more :D

sorry I can´t analyze what is wrong, but I can tell you how it works.

is there a specific reason you are using MBR partition? because Win XP ? (who needs that ?)

this way it works:

partitition your HD with GUID in two partititions. format first with HFS and the second with FAT.

now reboot and install WIN 7 on second partition ( with FAT it could be recognized and reformated with ntfs)

after this install Mac OS X on first partition and apply Chameleon.

If Win doesn´t boot afterwards, just use the repair function of the WIN 7 DVD and it will work.

as far as I remember you will always have problems booting chameleon from any other partition than the first.

please someone correct me if I´m wrong.

it might also work also with a third XP partition - but I never tried, because I´m really happy not to use ths f*****

OS any more :)

Hi Peach-os GREAT GREAT GREAT, THANKS THANKS THANKS ;)

I partitition HD with GUID in two partititions. Format first with HFS+ and the second with FAT...and the system start!!!!

I use Win XP for a old application to flash my phone.

Well now the problems :|

I followed the 15 point of step B, but at first boot: mouse, keyboard, LAN don't work :unsure:

I install all file from directory Extra\Extensions, com.apple.Boot.plist, dsdt.aml

...the file voodoohdahelper, VoodooHDA.prefPane, Extensions.mkext, the directory Themes .... I have to install them??or not!!

Can I install all files S:L:E ? and "LAN fixed ! - workin with these extensions" before upgrade the Snow Leopard 10.6 ???

Thank for your disponibility

by Marcuss

connect an usb keyboard mouse. first try to repair permissions with disk utility. if not possible you have to reinstall the BSD package as described.

next step: copy the kexts to Extra and install to S/L/E with kext utility and repair permissions with disk utility

after reboot everything should work

because berlusconi blocked all keyboards that he can´t control :)

I can´t help with that, but look for that problem in the italian forum - I´m pretty sure you will find a solution there.

:D:D:D

Thanks...I call Ruby :D

Good day

by Marcuss

Hi Peach-os,

I have a new question...I upgrade the sistem at SL 10.6.4, all work ferfect, but in the System Profile - Graphics Card the chip model is GM950, why?? The TM6292 have X3100 ;)

I backup and replace all GMA x3100 extensions, but in the System Profile isn't select? is correct?

...can I upgrade on 10.6.5 and lather?the system work?

thanks a lot

by Marcuss

the x3100 is the followup of the GM950

as long it´s working and you have QE / CI it doesn´t matter - just cosmetics

you can even update online to 10.6.7 without any issues, but I recommend always to do a backup before.

• 4 weeks later...
with the new HW Sensors from here http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showforum=165

a comfortable measuring is available to control temps for cpu, graphics,cpu voltage and other sensors. great work!

post-120974-1296086982_thumb.png

install the HW Sensors to S/L/E IntelCpuMonitor doesn´t work from Extra. I deleted in SuperIOFamily already all plugins that aren´t needed to make boot time shorter

to get proper speedstepping you have to check first Generate P-States, Generate C-States and Drop SSDT in Chameleon preferences.

but it won´t start throttling before setting the needed model id in smbios.plist

according to the hardware specs of the Acer6292 it should be MacBook3,1 , because the closest match is the MacBook late 2007 - but this won´t work!

MacPro3,1 would give you speedstepping, but avoid some functions. to keep everything working (i.e. coolbook if needed)

I decided to follow silencers guide here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211705

and to create a legacy.kext for the acer6292. all credits to him !

put the attached legacyAcer6292.kext in Extra and set the model to MacBook3,2 in SMBios.plist, reboot -

et voilá! speedstep is working! you can proof it with voodoomonitor

post-120974-1296088515_thumb.pngpost-120974-1296088418_thumb.png post-120974-1296088436_thumb.png

p-states in vodoomonitor - throttling at lowest p-state - highest p-state

you can see the throttling also in the free version of coolbook and use it to raise the cpu load for testing

post-120974-1296088921_thumb.png

all needed files are in the attached package, except iStat for measuring - look for last free version 2.0 or you have to buy it for 16 bucks !

EDIT: if you experience kernel panics, get rid of iStat or other hardware sensors !

acer6292_speedstep.zip

Hi Pech-OS,

I have some questions to your speedstepping guide:

1) now I have S.L. 10.6.2. Your guide works in S.L. 10.6.3, 10.6.4 ..... ?

2) ....you have to check first Generate P-States, Generate C-States and Drop SSDT in Chameleon preferences...

I insert DropSSDT=Yes in the config file of Chameleon

how check Generate P-States, Generate C-States ?

3) ...put the attached legacyAcer6292.kext in Extra and set the model to MacBook3,2 in SMBios.plist...

How can I set the model to MacBook3.2 ??

Thank you for your help

by Marcussebe

Hi Pech-OS,

I have some questions to your speedstepping guide:

2) ....you have to check first Generate P-States, Generate C-States and Drop SSDT in Chameleon preferences...

3) ...put the attached legacyAcer6292.kext in Extra and set the model to MacBook3,2 in SMBios.plist...

Thank you for your help

by Marcussebe

nothing ;(

nothing ;(

sorry.....I didn´t see your post earlier

ALL

easiest is to check all in chameleon prefpane that comes with chameleon RC5

you should have a smbios.plist file in EXTRA - otherwise create one - if you search for smbios.plist you will find tons of examples - and it´s selfexplaining - easy to understand

• 5 weeks later...
sorry.....I didn´t see your post earlier

ALL

easiest is to check all in chameleon prefpane that comes with chameleon RC5

you should have a smbios.plist file in EXTRA - otherwise create one - if you search for smbios.plist you will find tons of examples - and it´s selfexplaining - easy to understand

Hi Peach,I put legacyAcer6292.kext in /Extra/Extensions? or in /Extra/ ?

...and where i put voodoomonitor.kext ?

• 2 months later...

hmm....two months later ;)

the last months I didn´t get any emails from insanely for some reason - sorry.

I´m pretty sure you figured it out yourself meanwhile - but just in case: every kext that begins with "voodoo"

should be in S/L/E. Also I don´t think you´ll need voodoomonitor really

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, sorry to revive this thread but i have a problem. I followed parts of this guide to install OSX onto my 6292 (602....) and everything works in 10.6.3 (even the webcam for photobooth and ichat) except when i update to 10.6.4 i loose ethernet. any ideas to fix this. i re instaled the BMC kext given but still nothing. Any ideas to rectify this?

did you install the iopcifamily.kext ? it doesn´t work without that.

Yes, i did.

i installed it thrice, with no success. then i tried removing a preferences.plist file in system as suggested on a website. this reset all my network devices. after a permission repair it worked for about 5 mins. then after a reboot nothing.

it works in 10.6.3, 10.6.4 it doesnt work, updated to 10.6.5 and still nothing. ive tried the IOPCIfamily.kext and it doesnt work.

any other ideas.

HOWEVER

in 10.6.5, the IWI driver works for my Intel 4965AGN card with the realtek wireless util.

i have a Netgear WG111v2 so i had it installed. i tried the iwi driver and it showed up as ethernet so i started the uti and it works fine :Dim on my hackintosh now

10.6.5 QE/CI WIFI/Webcam etc. JUST NO ETHERNET! lol

HOWEVER

in 10.6.5, the IWI driver works for my Intel 4965AGN card with the realtek wireless util.

i have a Netgear WG111v2 so i had it installed. i tried the iwi driver and it showed up as ethernet so i started the uti and it works fine :Dim on my hackintosh now

10.6.5 QE/CI WIFI/Webcam etc. JUST NO ETHERNET! lol

the 4965? can´t believe it´s working - please upload the extensions

you should always check if IONetworkingFamily.kext was updated - if there is a new one you have to replace the

AppleBCM5701.kext with a patched one inside the IONetworkingFamily.kext again to make it work.

I attached the actual files I use for 10.6.8 - everything working - also LAN

temperatures now dropped with current settings and speedstepping to 45°- 50° idle :rolleyes:

Acer6292_10.6.8.zip

the patched Apple BCM working up to 10.6.8

10.6.3.5787M.zip

the 4965? can´t believe it´s working - please upload the extensions

you should always check if IONetworkingFamily.kext was updated - if there is a new one you have to replace the

AppleBCM5701.kext with a patched one inside the IONetworkingFamily.kext again to make it work.

I attached the actual files I use for 10.6.8 - everything working - also LAN

temperatures now dropped with current settings and speedstepping to 45°- 50° idle :)

Acer6292_10.6.8.zip

the patched Apple BCM working up to 10.6.8

10.6.3.5787M.zip

I shall download those kexts. i have found my 6292 is most stable on 10.6.7 as it is now, i am typing from it.

The 4965 was working partially with a combination of the IWI4965.kext i found on kexts.com and use of the realtek wifi utility that i use for my usb wifi dongle. it can detect networks and connect to open wifi but will reject and WEP/WPA encrypted networks.

Also, i installed Lion 10.7.0 on my other partition and it works mostly. native ethernet and sound, my realtek wifi dongle doesnt work neither does the webcam or wifi. i can change resolution but have no graphics acceleration (QE/CI) been changing info.plist files all day and still no success.

i used the method posted for an acer aspire on the osx86 wiki.

Ill get those kexts now and keep you posted on Lion.

UPDATE:

Thanks for that BMC kext,, it did the trick. i now have ethernet and everything else except my 4965 no longer picks up wifi XD

One other thing. my Netgear wireless dongle now registers in Network Preferences as a Bluetooth PAN and conflicts with the actual bluetooth card.

Both bluetooth and the dongle now operate on the same thing in preferences and if i try to use both i get a conflict error.

any ideas?

Thanks again

Lachlan McCahon

Another UPDATE:

Just deleted every thing in networking, remade them all and it all lines up fine. Thanks, i now have a 98% working OSX notebook

:):D

Ill keep trying to get the 4965 working again.