flashing bios from parallels

8 posts in this topic

I'm having some problems using 3 dimms of memory in my hackintosh. System profiler detects 3 dimms, but activity monitor only 2...

My mobo is a gigabyte ex58 ud3r

Anyway, I decided to flash the bios of the mobo to see if that helps. The thing is I downloaded an exe from gigabyte and I don't have windows installed in my hackintosh.

Will I be able to flash the bios from parallels or fusion?

Do I have to install windows in a new partition to do that?

What about using an ultimate boot cd or something like that?

TIA

Parallels or VMware uses a virtualised enviroment, which means it 'emulates' a real computer, and you cannot flash your BIOS from a virtualised enviroment.

What you could do, is to see if the .exe contains files you need to put an a USB drive. Gigabyte motherboards allow BIOS upgrades through USB, check out the Gigabyte site or the manual if you don't know how to do this.

As a last note, how much RAM do you have installed in your computer and could you do the following for me:

Open 'Terminal'

Typ 'top' and press enter.

Paste the output of the command here.

Yeah I imagined that a virtual machine in a higher layer couldn't do that.... but I wasn't really sure.

According to gigabyte the qflash cna only be used from a floppy... if I can do it from a USB then great!

Here's the info from top about the memory. As you can see only 8gb, and not 12Gb as it should.

MemRegions: 7878 total, 400M resident, 19M private, 188M shared. PhysMem: 804M wired, 512M active, 290M inactive, 1606M used, 6835M free.

post-587015-1273856477_thumb.jpg

Edit: I can't flash bio from usb, only from floppy... I haven't had a floppy for years in my computers <_<

Reedit: It seems Qflash is not the same version accessing from inside the bios, or from the splash screen... In the one at the splash screen I couldn't load it from a USB either, but I could from a small fat 32 partition I left unused for installing windows at some point.

So I flashed the bios with no problems, but still can't use the 12Gb of ram... sigh