Writing files to secondary hd? Side buttons on mouse not working?

6 posts in this topic

First off i have my osx86 installed on my 10gb drive, i have a secondary hard drive wich is an 80gb. I can not write or erase files on the 80gb. Why is this? How can I make it where i can read and WRITE and erase.

Second issue is i have a microsoft intellimouse explorer

its and optical mouse with forward and backward web browser side buttons, neither of them are working. I downloaded the microsoft software from the website for this mouse and it did not resolve the issue.

the model number is 1004.

Also the scroll speed on web pages is slow using the wheel.

Thank you so much guys for any help. I love this forum, and I am fully enjoying my osx86 box!

I shall be posting some tweaking guides soon as I get them wrote up, they will help all of you guys who want to tweak the heck out of your osx86 box.

Your secondary HDD is probably formatted as NTFS. In other words, OS X only supports reading from it and not writing to it. If you want NTFS read AND write support, you'll have to figure out how to convert Captive (a Linux-based program) to OS X.

Otherwise, you'll have to convert your HDD to FAT32 (which will be read/write-able under Win XP), or HFS+ (which is read/write-able under Win XP ONLY with a program like MacDrive). You can convert your drive by running Disk Utility (Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility). Anything already on the disk will more than likely be wiped off.

Thanks for that tidbit of information I found it helpful.

Do you happen to know how i can make an iso image of my current hard drive and then copy it onto a fresh 80gb? or can i hook up the drive and copy all the file directly to it and boot up?

I love my current config, and I dont want to re-install onto the new hd, just want to make an image and drop it on a new hd.

Also any ideas on the mouse?

Umm...I'm not sure if I fully understand your question, but here's some scenarios for you (which may already seem common sense).

You can copy critical files off of your 80GB HDD onto your 10GB HDD (which probably has about 6 GB or less free-depending on how you installed OS X), and then use Disk Utility to format the 80 GB as HFS+ (The default Mac partition style). However, it sounds like you already have an OS installed on the 80 GB HDD, so that probably won't work for you.

You can try using a program like Partition Magic (I'm unsure of the exact details of this program) and shrink your NTFS partition so that it doesn't consume the entire disk. You can then format the remainder of the disk as FAT32, which will enable you to manage it from Windows or OS X.

I'm not sure what good an ISO of a HDD would do you...odds are it's bigger than a Single Layer DVD, so you couldn't burn it off onto anything. There are programs out there which are designed to copy a Windows installation from one HDD to another, but you should probably look on Download.com or some place like that for utilities like that. If you're talking about a Mac Installation transfer - I'm unaware of any program which will do that, but if you find one, great!

I hope that answers any questions you might have, but I have this feeling I missed your point.

P.S. If your 80GB HDD is brand new or has nothing important on it, use Disk Utility to reformat it as HFS+. Then just use it for any large files you might have. OS X itself is unlikely to fill up your 10 GB HDD unless you plan on installing a lot of extras like Jam Pack addons or extra unneeded templates with programs.

Im looking to copy my current osx installalation that is on my 10gb, and putting it on a new 80gb hard drive that way i can have space to have all my music and movies on one hard drive instead of having to run dual hard drives.

I do not use windows xp anymore, no use for it. Im strictly osx