Upgraded Ram now Mac won't load but Windows Does?

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have a p-171fx gateway laptop that is running 10.6.3 Vanilla, everything is 100% working. The problem is that I had 1.5gb of stock ram (yea lol seriously). Inside I had a 512 and 1gb of samsung 5300 667mhz and I upgraded to 2x2gb crucial ram that is also 5300 667.

I installed the new ram and OSX now just hangs on the white apple loading screen with no progress circle. I tried -s / -v and it got stuck on the same spot. usually mac checks my cd drive and HDD next but instead it just sits on the white screen doing nothing.

I then tried following:

1. only using 1 of the new sticks - no go

2. using both sticks - no go

3. mix matching new and old sticks - no go

4. old sticks - Works Fine

I have tried the same with Windows (different hdd same system) with the same four setups and all work

Guys, any help is greatly appreciated here and I have tried to search the internet but couldn't find any real leads on what's wrong.

Update 1: I've been reading tonight and I was wondering do I need to update / change my SMBIOS info on memory (manf, serial, size) ?

Update:

I was asked to remove my DSDT.aml and see what that would do. Loading circle now shows up but hangs on unable to find SMC. I have fakesmc located in my extensions folder so have no idea on that.

So it seems that my DSDT could be causing the issue with the RAM? Doesn't seem possible?

Update:

I was asked to remove my DSDT.aml and see what that would do. Loading circle now shows up but hangs on unable to find SMC. I have fakesmc located in my extensions folder so have no idea on that.

So it seems that my DSDT could be causing the issue with the RAM? Doesn't seem possible?

remove DSDT

restart in safe mode 32 bit (-x -32)

rebuild ( with kexthelper) extensions and extra folder

fakeSMC sometimes hassles loading in 64bit, so try 32 first

apple has always been a little tricky with RAM