Drivers for Soundblaster on a Dell Dimension 1100?

seekdestroy16

5 posts in this topic

I just FINALLY installed mac osx tiger on my computer and im lovin it but sound doesnt work!. I checked out the drivers page: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/3rdPartyDrivers (I hope that posting links of pages from this site is allowed) and I am not sure what to use or how to use it. I believe I have a soundblaster device in my computer and I went to About this Mac/More Info/hardware/Audio (built In) and it said "No Built-In Audio." Anyone know how to fix this?, Thanks in advance.

seekdestroy16,

If you have windows installed on you computer, you can use PC Wizard (free download) to check the chipset of your sound card.

I'm also planning to install osx86 on dell dimension 1100. Which version od osx you installed, 10.4.6? Do you have graphic card issue and what resolution are you getting? Any problem with dvd player and disc burning? Does the display sleep properly?

Thanks!

seekdestroy16,

If you have windows installed on you computer, you can use PC Wizard (free download) to check the chipset of your sound card.

I'm also planning to install osx86 on dell dimension 1100. Which version od osx you installed, 10.4.6? Do you have graphic card issue and what resolution are you getting? Any problem with dvd player and disc burning? Does the display sleep properly?

Thanks!

I just went to Device Manage and I see that I have a SoundMax Integrated Audio...but I wanna install these drivers on that page I mentioned above to see if sound will work then. I had a graphics card issue but I fixed it: http://forum.osx86project.org/lofiversion/...php/t16894.html by following these steps:

First I'm using a Dell Bios version A01. So at bootup press F2 and get into setup. Once in setup you should do all of these things below. EDIT: I forgot to answer your first question, here it is...I used the myzar 10.4.6 disc so I think I have 10.4.6 .....cant wait to upgrade to 10.4.7 using the patch. PS never upgrade osx with the apply update thingy.

1. Highlight "Memory Information" and press "ENTER". Highlight "AGP Aperture" and press the + key (plus sign) until 256MB is displayed and press "ESC". Please note that even though 256MB is selected only 7MB of system memory will be used for video so beyond that 7MB the rest of system memory will be available.

2. Now Highlight "Integrated Devices (LegacySelect Options)" and press "ENTER".

A:) Primary Video Controller should be set at "Auto" so if you see AUTO to the right your fine.

B:) Hightlight "Onboard Video Buffer" and press the + key (plus sign) until 8MB is displayed and press "ESC".

Once you have done all of the above keep pressing the ESC key until a screen pops up and highlight (if not already) "Save Changes And Exit" and press "ENTER". You should be rebooting now.

I had a problem myself when I booted into the osx installation (saw everything in black and white) then I did this in my BIOS and everything worked great!. I havent tried using the dvd player yet but, when I booted into mac osx last night it could see the boot disc showing it right on the desktop. The only problem I have is no sound.....dang nabbit!. The display sleep would probably work but I havent tried that yet either. It would not hurt to try it yourself, I do not think it would screw anything up if it didnt work. If you got 2.53ghz on your dell dimension 1100....make sure you check About This Mac when you are in osx and you will see that it actually says 3.6ghz! instead of 2.53ghz...which I do not know why. Ok I used the PC wizard and I got this audio controller: General Information :

Manufacturer : Dell Computer Corp

Codec Information :

AC'97 support : Yes

Manufacturer : Analog Devices

Codec ID : 41445370

But I do not know how to install the drivers on this page for it...someone help me out?. So you plan on installing osx on the 1100 eh, well I've already done it but still have problems so maybe we can help each other out: old_school_31@hotmail.com gimme a yell if your interested.

EDIT: I got the sound working, I guess some things are so simple that they are actually hard. I followed the directions in this link:http://forum.osx86project.org/lofiversion/index.php/t16894.html

I also checked what version of osx I have and its 10.4.6 and I also tried playing a dvd and it didnt work. EDIT (once again): Software to enable non-apple dvd drives to work on your hackintosh (normally for normal mac's) but this should work http://www.patchburn.de/

Enjoy!

Thank you, seekdestroy16, for a detailed info.

I think in order to get apple dvd player working, you'll need a graphic card that supports CI & QE. Anyway, please let me know if you are able to get it working.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you, seekdestroy16, for a detailed info.

I think in order to get apple dvd player working, you'll need a graphic card that supports CI & QE. Anyway, please let me know if you are able to get it working.

I was not able to get the dvd player working, but i used the program called PatchBurn and was able to get my philips dvd burner working. Only in iTunes and iPhoto though. I uninstalled mac osx because it was slowing down my system, and it was illegal enough having it on my system so I hope you have luck in everything on your dell dimension 1100.