We need a 64bit fix for AMD on Snow

9 posts in this topic

I currently have no idea if there is a fix already out there.. so I'm writing this topic thread just incase there isn't one yet...

Well as most or all AMD users know we can't yet run full 64bit on our beloved Snow

yes we can boot into x64 with: -force64

but all 32bit apps Crash instantly, and well only 64bit apps work on that mode

So we are forced to boot as 32bits only using *maxmem=4096 if we have over 4gb of ram

I honestly hate Windows(I'm planing on fully killing it soon)... I mostly Reside now more on OSX and well I'm a designer... CS5 is now out

what's my big issue I use constantly After Effects & Premier Pro *well on CS5* those apps will only install on 64bit Snow & not on 32bit

I do have CS4 installed.. but If I want CS5... I prefer to save disk space and DUMP CS4 edition

But as you can see.. i cannot install After Effects or Premier Pro CS5 because I can only run the installer in 32bits mode & I can't run it on 64bits(already tested -force64, the CS5 installer will not load).... I mean like this if you run the Installer if we booted in 32bits mode - You won't have the options to install either of them "After Effects & Premier Pro" - they only appear for installing if you booted in 64bits.

So... can anyone already help out on us AMD users to fix this 64bit issue we have, the flaw of not being able to run 32bit apps.

I've already ran Marvin's app & other patching tools they do not fix the 64bit issue(32bits apps still crash instantly on 64bit mode).

BEEP...

Everybody who reads this thread can probably forget about my issue.... for some reason my hard drive started spinning its disk really fast just a bit ago, decided to shut down computer, gave it about 30minutes to relax & powered up again... well it seems some how it died my computer will not recognize the hard drive.

Already tried changing through all SATA ports & even changing the cables for other spare ones I had.. so buuu it died my hard drive where i had OSX installed. I guess I'll just wait to buy a new hard drive soon & re-install again. Its sad I've been having Snow for a couple of months working very nice on my rig on that hd.

But anyways I would still want encourage any developers to help out for fixing the AMD issue for other people.. pretty sure ton's are out there who do want it fully working... 32/64 full support.

• 2 weeks later...
I have an AMD Phenom and I've had no issues with 10.6.2. How do I test to see if I'm running in 32-bit or 64-bit mode?

Open System Profiler and click "Software". It should say if it's running 64 or 32 bit mode.

Oh this is disappointing. I checked and it's running 32-bit ...even tried all the switches on boot: arch=x86_64 -force64 -x64 ...nothing. I do see the line appear something like "64 bit enabled" during boot up however once in SL nothing has changed.

What's the problem here?

From what I understood if the processor supported SSE3 than 64-bit should work regardless of the architecture (AMD vs Intel).

I'm able to use Adobe CS5 but I have some crashes, mainly with Flash CS5 and I'm not sure what exactly the problem is.

The drivers also have to be written to use in a 64 bit enviroment.

Architecture normally doesn't matter for an OS, but Mac OS is specifically written for use on Intel systems. There are some tricks like replacing the kernel with a patched one to make it work, but you might end up having similar problems like you have now.