waiting for root..... you know whats next.

smungle

15 posts in this topic

Would just like to say a quick thank you to all that have contributed to this site and uploaded links ect to help get me this far.

i havnt posted for anyhelp as ive been lucky not to need it as ive jst needed to follow read most of the infomation needed for this frankenstein hackintosh.

so my problem! "waiting for root device" after install.

ive read so many sites including this one on this common problem but it still shows up. snow leopard was successfully installed via usb and using empire efi on cd. i used mc.devils kext to make my nforce to show my hard disks nd kext from: .insanelymac.com/2009/08/how-to-install-snow-leopard-10a432-on-pc-hackintosh/

and i also edited apple.boot.plist to the correct disk. (weather it was on the wrong one i dont now as nothing changed)

i installed on my usb before my sata just so i could see if anything needed to be done, but all was good and as it was usb... so there was no waiting for root device. so what could it be?

bois is all set up and waiting,

no need for changes there (i think)

tryed all sata ports differant boot loaders.

and differnt kext

but im not one for editing kext as im purly a pc user until i started this, so i have no clue :P

oh im using latest Chameleon btw.

when booting from just the hard disk i get the grey screen of death show up after about 30seconds of the logo screen is up.

when using empire efi i get waiting for root device. as far as i know, the grey screen is caused by the same thing?

above the waiting for root device, reads: bluetooth: adptive frequency hopping is not supported.

but i dont think this is not the problem but did remove stick and retryed booting and same again

so here i am to what i think is my last problem (apart from internet issue) and in need of some enlightenment to make me a happy man.

i know i have missed infomation that you made need but i didnt want to just shove it at you with the first post so ask what you must. if done, i will happly post on how i got SL install on my spec to help osx86 users in the future. thank you to all :):):)

apologies if you now have sore eyes :o

holy {censored} my eyes hurt from trying to read that. Please make an effort to make your post readable by human beings. Get your parents or older brother to help you or something.

/EDIT - thanks, much better!!

What chipset do you have, nforce right?

If you can boot the installer and install to the hard drive that means that you already have a working chipset (HD controller) driver.

There must be a conflict somewhere. Moving out AppleHPET as gadget says below is something you can try..

holy {censored} my eyes hurt from trying to read that. Please make an effort to make your post readable by human beings. Get your parents or older brother to help you or something.

good idea :)

i did break it down im sorry. must of messed up somehow.

ill re do it now sorry again

Back up and erase AppleHPET.kext from System/Library/Extensions. It messes up my SATA as well as my LAN drivers and causes the system to perform badly on both of my hackintoshes. If it doesn't fix it, be sure to put it back. The first time after erasing it, boot with -f

Hope I helped!

thanks for your fast replys.

i have removed the kext but still not booting past the same screen, but when booted with -f the big restart box has gone but i now have a little one with a line going though it.

so im not sure if i need to replace the kext or leave it out?

but as you say ive already install snow leopard so my nforce4 mobo is working with osx.. hmm.

i tryed booting with -v and i got a ye old kernel.

thanks for your fast replys.

i have removed the kext but still not booting past the same screen, but when booted with -f the big restart box has gone but i now have a little one with a line going though it.

so im not sure if i need to replace the kext or leave it out?

but as you say ive already install snow leopard so my nforce4 mobo is working with osx.. hmm.

i tryed booting with -v and i got a ye old kernel.

Did it say why you got the kernel panic? IOATAFamily.kext?

What do you see on-screen when you boot with -v arch=i386?

The URL says it contains no data......it would be helpful if you had a signature with your system details......e.g. see my sig

UPDATE: See screenshot now......you need to put NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /Extra/Extensions/......if you have an nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO, see my SL install guide for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs....... :)

sorry about the broken link ..

yeah sure will do my spec now.

not sure what info you need on the kernel but ill write as much as i think you need to know,

the kernel stated:

panic (cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f8065e6a3) cpu 3 has no HPET asigned to it "@/sourcecache/appleintelCPUPowerMangement/appleintelpupowemanagement -90/pmthead.c:164

debugger called: <panic>

backtrace (cpu 0)

kernel extentions in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.appleintelcpupowermanagement(90.0)@0xffffff78065a000->0xffffff7f80671rfff

kernel version 10.0.0 : root:xnu-1465.1.25~1/release_x86_64

---

want sure weather to put the other kext i took out earler back in?

sorry about the broken link ..

yeah sure will do my spec now.

not sure what info you need on the kernel but ill write as much as i think you need to know,

the kernel stated:

panic (cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f8065e6a3) cpu 3 has no HPET asigned to it "@/sourcecache/appleintelCPUPowerMangement/appleintelpupowemanagement -90/pmthead.c:164

debugger called: <panic>

backtrace (cpu 0)

kernel extentions in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.appleintelcpupowermanagement(90.0)@0xffffff78065a000->0xffffff7f80671rfff

kernel version 10.0.0 : root:xnu-1465.1.25~1/release_x86_64

---

want sure weather to put the other kext i took out earler back in?

You need to put NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /Extra/Extensions/ and also AppleHPET.kext back in System/Library/Extensions/......if you have an nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO, see my SL install guide for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs....... :)

thank you very much for your reply, i will let you know how it went.

ok it seemed i may have started off with a kernel but after adding the kext into my extra/extentions i now have a waiting for root device.

is all the infomation in your guide? i really do appreciate your time on helping me

uhh, i now have the same kernel back.

i have only the null kext in my extra/extentions. should i have any others?

thank you very much for your reply, i will let you know how it went.

ok it seemed i may have started off with a kernel but after adding the kext into my extra/extentions i now have a waiting for root device.

is all the infomation in your guide? i really do appreciate your time on helping me

uhh, i now have the same kernel back.

i have only the null kext in my extra/extentions. should i have any others?

Yes......you do need other kexts......my install guide is comprehensive and includes the basic kexts needed.....so, I advise you to follow it to get OS X SL running on your nForce MOBO......... ;)

I will check on my SL nForce thread in a few hours to see if you have posted any questions on it for me.......

thank you kind sir, ive had a "long read" and swapped and added some things but i have a hint ill be doing this most of the night. not sure if/how simple it will be.

best to check tomorrow :P

thank you again

No problem......I will check my nForce SL thread later again and tomorrow for any posted questions from you......if you need to install Leopard to help with your SL install, then see my blog for my OS X distro install guides and my Leopard Series7 nForce thread..... :P