`Still waiting for root device' error

mghis

11 posts in this topic

There are a lot of old posts with this problem, and the solution was in the bios options, but my bios does'nt support that....

I tried a lot of distro (iAtkos, iDeneb and Kalaway) but it still not work.

As the title says, after i typed the standard boot options, i got 'Still waiting for root device'. ;)

Someone help me! I'm a poor newbie but I really want to test Mac.  ;)

My hardware is in the last line of my post. It is wroted in light gray.

- 3 HDD SATA

- 1 cpu intel core 2 duo 2.6 Ghz

- 2 gb ram

- xfx nForce 780i MoBo

- 2 GeForce 8800 GT, with SLI

- 2 Nforce network cards

Thanks again for any answer! :)

My hardware is in the last line of my post. It is wroted in light gray.

- 3 HDD SATA

- 1 cpu intel core 2 duo 2.6 Ghz

- 2 gb ram

- xfx nForce 780i MoBo

- 2 GeForce 8800 GT, with SLI

- 2 Nforce network cards

Thanks again for any answer! :)

See my Snow Leopard install guide for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs....... :P

See my Snow Leopard install guide for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs....... :)

Thank you very much!! :-) I'm trying now!

Thanks again!

----------EDIT---------

Your tutorial says:

Ensure that your IDE/SATA settings are set correctly e.g. enabling the SATA Controller or AHCI Mode depending on your BIOS options, and setting HPET Function/Support to [Enabled]....

My bios, unfortunately does not support the AHCI settings. I have SATA hard disks  ;)

If i misunderstood, please tell me what i have to do...

Anyway, thanks for any help!! :)  

PS: I forgot to say I have a SATA cd/dvd drive....  :P

I had this problem with mine and the fix was to change to AHCI in the BIOS but ALSO change the DVD drive from "Master" to "Slave". This is only the case if you have an IDE drive. I was also using iPC 10.5.6, Kalyway didn't seem to work for me. (I know you are trying to install 10.6, but I would assume this applies for both.)

Thank you very much!! :-) I'm trying now!

Thanks again!

----------EDIT---------

Your tutorial says:

Ensure that your IDE/SATA settings are set correctly e.g. enabling the SATA Controller or AHCI Mode depending on your BIOS options, and setting HPET Function/Support to [Enabled]....

My bios, unfortunately does not support the AHCI settings. I have SATA hard disks ;)

If i misunderstood, please tell me what i have to do...

Anyway, thanks for any help!! :)

PS: I forgot to say I have a SATA cd/dvd drive.... :P

please make sure you have the AppleNForceATA.kext file .. It is the driver for hard disk... if you dont have it, the error comes "still waiting for the root device"... :)

I had this problem, worked out what went wrong, please don't laugh, I must have skipped an important paragraph because I did not see you had to put the chameleon "Extra" folder in it's own partition. When i realised i felt so f***ing stupid!