Can you add Windows 7 to already set up Snow Leopard & Leopard?

2 posts in this topic

I already have Snow Leopard and Leopard set up as 2 separate partitions on the drive. It's formatted as GUID. If I split one partition and make a new one, can I install Windows 7 onto it without it getting messed up. I am reading about Windows 7 creating an EFI partition and I'm wondering if that would cause Chameleon to stop starting up and Windows starting instead. If that is what would happen, would booting off of an install I have on a USB Drive and re-installing Chameleon fix it? I'd really love to have a tri-boot Snow Leopard / Leopard / Windows 7.

Thanks in Advance!

I already have Snow Leopard and Leopard set up as 2 separate partitions on the drive. It's formatted as GUID. If I split one partition and make a new one, can I install Windows 7 onto it without it getting messed up. I am reading about Windows 7 creating an EFI partition and I'm wondering if that would cause Chameleon to stop starting up and Windows starting instead. If that is what would happen, would booting off of an install I have on a USB Drive and re-installing Chameleon fix it? I'd really love to have a tri-boot Snow Leopard / Leopard / Windows 7.

Thanks in Advance!

ok, atm, i have Windows 7 and OSX86 Leo on separate hard disks both being booted with chameleon RC3

my hard disks partition setup is below

80GB Hard Disk (disk 0) IDE

- Windows 7

- EFI boot Loader

320 GB Hard disk (Disk 1) SATA2

- EFI (not used)

- OSX86 Leo

now,

you'll want to create a separate partition for the efi on with windows 7 disk, as if you place it on the leo disk, you will have problems booting windows. (flashing white curser) so use ur fav, non destructive linux partition editor (gparted?) and create this small 200MB partition at the end of your Windows 7 disk. set the flags for the drive as active. (also make sure you format this partition as hfs+, although you will need to do this in disk utility later)

once done, boot into leo and download Chameleon RC3 INstaller package. (or do a manual install to the EFI disk) run the installer, and select the EFI disk as the destination. once done, reboot and be sure that you are booting from the windows 7 drive.

done :blink:

for extra settings for the boot loader, eg. default drive, place a com.apple.boot.plist file in the extra folder.

heres mine just incase you want one that you can customise

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(1,2)</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>0</string>