Buying my first Mac :)

2 posts in this topic

Alright, I'm going to tell you all what I need to do, and you let me know what the best choice that I'm going to supply is. :P Thanks in advance.

WHAT I NEED:

-Edit HD video

-Photo editing

-HD video playback

-Fast loading times

MAC CHOICES:

-Macbook Pro 13" with 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD ($1,234)

-Macbook Pro 13" with 8GB RAM and 500GB HDD ($1,594)

-Macbook 13" with 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD ($1,124)

Does the processor speed GREATLY affect the ability to edit HD video? I plan on using iMovie for most of it, and After Effects as well. If the RAM and processor don't hinder that, I'll be getting the Macbook 13" with my custom specs. Should I consider getting the Pro with more memory?...

The processor speed and the amount of RAM will determine how quickly anything will get done on the computer, period. I don't care if it's Photoshop or iMovie.

Now for most of Adobe's crapware, it used to be that throwing more RAM at it would always make up for a speed difference in the processor. Today, I'm not so sure about that whole thing. With that being said, let me try to address the question at hand.

Honestly, in terms of just raw processor speed, you're looking at a difference of only about 200 MHz (the actual figure is less but I'm not doing math right now). While ten years ago this would been an extreme difference, this is hardly enough of a difference to even blink at anymore.

With the RAM issue, Mactracker states the max the Macbook can handle is 8 GB. Save some money and grab up some RAM from a non-Apple vendor because to be quite honest, Apple rapes you on RAM prices and you can put in more than Apple says you can put in there with this model.

Now at this point, the only advantage the pro model has is the graphics card. If you can live without a slightly better card, then get the Macbook model and then max out the RAM on your own.