Snow Leopard crashes when booting from eSATA dock?

4 posts in this topic

I have a Thermaltake eSATA HD dock. When I put my SL disk in, it hangs during boot. If I connect via internal MoBo SATA it boots fine. Any ideas on how to get the eSATA dock working?

cheers,

Bob

EBTTST14_m.jpg

. . . eSATA is a non-Apple interface, so far. I suspect it will never be used in Macs/Macbooks - Firewire800 is fine for now, tho' a slight bottleneck; & future models will connect to fast external storage via USB3.

The 'driver' used for eSATA is Apple's generic AHCI one, & this has to cope with differences in mainboard or plugin eSATA controllers, then differences in the many makes of aSATA bridge-chips [ie the one in your dock].

This has simply never got sorted out: in the world I know about - RAID boxes attached to Mac Pros & Macbook Pros for media work - eSATA solutions only work properly when you buy all the recommended/tested links in the chain: ie for a Macbook Pro with an expresscard34 slot, you get a card with a specific bridge-chip, then this connects to a RAID-box [or other docking device] again using a specific & tested bridge-chip & so on.

Sorry; but this neat widget of yours is likely to be more hassle than it is worth.

. . . eSATA is a non-Apple interface, so far. I suspect it will never be used in Macs/Macbooks - Firewire800 is fine for now, tho' a slight bottleneck; & future models will connect to fast external storage via USB3.

The 'driver' used for eSATA is Apple's generic AHCI one, & this has to cope with differences in mainboard or plugin eSATA controllers, then differences in the many makes of aSATA bridge-chips [ie the one in your dock].

This has simply never got sorted out: in the world I know about - RAID boxes attached to Mac Pros & Macbook Pros for media work - eSATA solutions only work properly when you buy all the recommended/tested links in the chain: ie for a Macbook Pro with an expresscard34 slot, you get a card with a specific bridge-chip, then this connects to a RAID-box [or other docking device] again using a specific & tested bridge-chip & so on.

Sorry; but this neat widget of yours is likely to be more hassle than it is worth.

Thanks for the info! I actually got it working. The nice people at Thermaltake have also included a USB 2.0 port. I've successfully booted OSX SL off the dock!

BTW these docks are very handy, highly recommended!

Thanks for the info! I actually got it working. The nice people at Thermaltake have also included a USB 2.0 port. I've successfully booted OSX SL off the dock!

BTW these docks are very handy, highly recommended!

. . o yes, USB2 will always work, if sloooowly . . glad you have it sorted.

For the last coupla years I have been using a slightly more universal widget for bare drives: this 'ere geek-tool

. . . if I were to get a dock like yours right now, would try to find an affordable one (this is not)with a Firewire800 connection . . but USB3 will doubtless solve all these hassles for a good few years.