Auto mounting devices

Katch

4 posts in this topic

So I got my PC running 4 operating systems at the moment - XP - XP-64 - Linux and OSX,

Understandably I have a lot of partitions and drives for this set up (4 physical drives and about 10 partitions in total)

What I'd like to do is stop OSX automatically mounting all the ones it can read when it starts up and only mounts the one shared fat32 partition along with its own partition.

Any way to do this?

Also I get 2 popups every boot saying Disk Insertion, you have inserted a disk blah blah that can not be recognised blah blah.

I asume this is OSX tripping out about my raid array, any way to blacklist it so it doesn't keep throwing up these messages?

• 5 months later...

Wow, five months and no answer. :P

Oh well, I have a similar problem. I have two physical drives on my system. On the primary IDE channel, I have a 200gb drive with Gentoo Linux, Windows Vista, and OSX installed. I use grub as the boot loader on an ext3 partition on this drive. The second drive is 80gb on the secondary IDE channel. The second drive is a single partition formatted as a reiser file system to mount as the /home directory for my Linux system.

When I boot into OSX, I get a disk insertion error, which asks me to either initialize the drive or ignore it. I'm assuming it is refering to the second drive. I just click on ignore. I realize that reiserfs is not natively supported in OSX, and I don't even want to mount it in OSX. Can anyone tell me a way for OSX to simply ignore the second drive? OSX doesn't bother mounting the ext3 and reiserfs partitions on my first drive. I've browsed the /etc/rc file, but didn't see an obvious way in there to ignore partitions.

Also, as in the original post, is there a way to blacklist my NTFS partition? I have a fat32 partition on the 200gig drive that I use to share files between the three systems, but I'd like to see the Vista partition disappear from my desktop when I'm using OSX.

Another thing...not a problem, just a curiosity. The 200gb drive on the primary IDE channel is listed by OSX as disk1 and the 80gb drive on the secondary ide channel is listed as disk0. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Thanks...your rc.local method worked just fine for unmounting my NTFS partition automatically. Maybe I'll try playing around with the rc.local file to prevent the system from attempting to mount my reiserfs partition.

Which one is set to boot first in BIOS?

That was my first thought too...to check the BIOS setting. The 200gb drive on the primary IDE channel is the first boot device, yet it is listed as disk1 rather than disk0. Its not a big deal and my OSX system works fine...its just a minor curiosity.

Thanks again for the solution on unmounting NTFS.