windows 7 doesn't load drivers after reboot from OSX

saul1d

4 posts in this topic

what the title says, i just installed snow leopard and this is the first time im having these problems. every time i load OSX, restart and go into windows, I dont have video drivers or trackpad drivers. maybe something with the way OSX releases the devices? I was thinking about trying the OpenHaltrestart fix to see if that would do anything but i thought id check first.

Even if the BIOS resets to default values every time you load Snow Leopard, once you have installed drivers in Windows they should be active. Something is wrong with your Windows installation and settings are not saved. Try turning completely off the User Account Control and make sure you install any drivers as an Administrator, not user!

Even if the BIOS resets to default values every time you load Snow Leopard, once you have installed drivers in Windows they should be active. Something is wrong with your Windows installation and settings are not saved. Try turning completely off the User Account Control and make sure you install any drivers as an Administrator, not user!

so i thought, but as crazy as it seems, any time i restart from SL, it wont load the windows drivers.

the windows install is fresh, yesterday fresh, right before the SL install. I'll reinstall drivers and see if that works.

could the problem be the new Solid State Drive i'm using?? i don't see how it would be, but thats the only thing i've changed since everything was working fine a few weeks ago

I disagree with Sotirios. My knowledge of hardware initialization is limited, but I do know that drivers often expect to find the device in a particular state, as it is when the computer is first powered on. If the device isn't in the expected state, the drive may not load or may do something strange. I've seen this myself, although not for years. (I recall having problems with a sound card on a dual-boot of Windows 9x and OS/2 back around 1995.) If I'm right, then OS X just isn't resetting the hardware to a state that the Windows drivers expect, and the BIOS isn't doing it either on a warm reset.

I doubt if re-installing the same drivers would make any difference, although it's possible that changing or upgrading drivers (in OS X and/or Windows) would improve matters. Another thing you might try is hitting the Reset button on your computer when the BIOS POST screen appears. That may force a more thorough reset of the hardware. Upgrading the BIOS might also help.