Snow Leopard on eMachines e725-4520

11 posts in this topic

Hello InsanelyMac community.

I just got a hold of a eMachines E725 4520 laptop with the following specifications:

* Intel Pentium Dual Core T4400 2.20GHz

* 15.6" LCD Display (1366x768)

* Intel GMA 4500M

* 3GB RAM

* 250GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive

* SuperMulti 8X DVD+ with Double Layer Support

* Built-in 802.11b/g WLAN

* 6-cell Lithium-ion Battery

And I would really like to turn this into a hackintosh. Anyone know anything about the compatibility of these parts?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

This thread has some information in german but I am having trouble making sense of it:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187795

Google translated:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...wtopic%3D187795

Pic of the relevant devices from Device Manager in Windows is attached below.

post-53862-1267566632_thumb.png

"Graka" is referring to the "graphics card". The poster is just saying it's low performer.

From spakk's posting on "Sep 21 2009, 10:49 PM", the translation reads: "... unfortunately I get the W-LAN is set inactive. Alles andere funktioniert, Sound ist nicht berauschend vieleicht hat jemand einen passenden Treiber für mich? Everything else works, sound is not intoxicating..." So, at that point, even though he had successfully gotten WiFi to work on his "IDeneb V 1.3 10.5.5", he wasn't able to get it to work on SL.

It's promising though as he said that everything else works.

When he posted on "Sep 22 2009, 09:01 PM", it sounds like spakk got everything working.

If you have questions, I'd suggest to just try contacting him. The Germans I've worked with in the past could converse in English quite well.

If you want to avoid introducing new partitions (20GiB should be enough for SL), you can install SL on an external USB drive first.

Good luck.

So when trying to load up my Snow Leopard thumb drive installer (Chameleon 2.0 RC3), the installer loads fine but I can not click next or even use the keyboard. It is just non-responsive. Seems like I need some kexts in my extra folder to get the installer going. Any idea what kexts are necessary to load proper drivers for these components?

Going to try a version of VoodooPS2Controller that is referenced in the German article above....

Will report back later.

So when trying to load up my Snow Leopard thumb drive installer (Chameleon 2.0 RC3), the installer loads fine but I can not click next or even use the keyboard. It is just non-responsive. Seems like I need some kexts in my extra folder to get the installer going. Any idea what kexts are necessary to load proper drivers for these components?
Try to use an external USB keyboard and mouse to get you through the installation process. That should work.

Going to try a version of VoodooPS2Controller that is referenced in the German article above....
You can try that. I've been using "ApplePS2Controller.kext" (on a different laptop) and it's been fine.

Please keep us updated if you get anywhere with this; have been thinking about getting this laptop.

But as I understand it QE and CI won't work with the 4500M, correct?

I just picked up this laptop from the Walmart deal as well, I am definitely interested it getting this up and running with Snow Leopard.

Well, unfortunately my update brings little hope to this thread. After 4 days with the laptop, my usb port just broke, and pushed into the machine. I do not think I am going to get a replacement - and I am taking 'er back to the store. Sorry! Good luck to all pursuing hackintoshing this lappie.

• 1 month later...

Im running 10.5.8 on my Emachine e725 right now, but would love to update to 10.6. I am still having a bit of trouble with it freezing when it tries to enter sleep mode. I followed the instructions listed above. Thanks in advance.

{censored} that sucks i was hoping to get a cool dual boot on this thing ah well good luck with ur new laptop then .

• 4 years later...