Dual boot, Win XP and OSX

harper

6 posts in this topic

okay, i am running a brand new amd turion notebook pc.

i have set it up just how i like it...

C: win xp pro 20gb

D: my files etc 50 gb

E: spare partition for testing other os' etc. 4.5gb

I would ideally like to install OS X onto partition E: with as little trouble as possible. I have a copy of Partition Magic so if I need to resize the partition that wont be a problem. What is the best way to go about this then....

thanks in advance for ANY replies !

okay, i am running a brand new amd turion notebook pc.

i have set it up just how i like it...

C:  win xp pro   20gb

D:  my files etc   50 gb

E:   spare partition for testing other os' etc.  4.5gb

I would ideally like to install OS X onto partition E: with as little trouble as possible. I have a copy of Partition Magic so if I need to resize the partition that wont be a problem. What is the best way to go about this then....

thanks in advance for ANY replies !

DOH! I hope you haven't tried to install OSX yet. You might need to backup all your stuff on a seperate drive, install OSX first with 2 partitions, and go from there with instructions elsewhere (not sure of all the steps). From what I understand, OSX will see NTFS partitions, but when you try to install onto the second partition it formats the first partition to OSX's file system instead of the original NTFS...thereby killing windows's ability to boot (i think its recoverable though, just a pain). Not sure if I have this straight, so if someone else wants to fill in the blanks....

Not nesseccarily. It has been discussed serveral times before. You would have to make the AF partition active and either use Darwin as a boot loader or chain0 as discussed in the wiki. And if you read all the infomation on th DVD Patch Release 1, it also gives provides an excelent tut on dual osx86 and xp.

I am going to make my third partition around 10gigs and AF. I will install OS X onto this partition and then use the Win XP install CD to go to the recovery console and fix my master boot record using 'fixmbr'

But first I need to know what files I should be downloading.

Apple.OS.X.x86.10.4.Generic.Install.DVD -- is this any good?

and what about the Release 1 patcher - is this necessary?

• 4 weeks later...
I am going to make my third partition around 10gigs and AF. I will install OS X onto this partition and then use the Win XP install CD to go to the recovery console and fix my master boot record using 'fixmbr'

But first I need to know what files I should be downloading.

Apple.OS.X.x86.10.4.Generic.Install.DVD -- is this any good?

and what about the Release 1 patcher - is this necessary?

I installed the Generic Install DVD in VMWare with no issues (other than the network and Audio fixes), but i am curious about installing in an XP environment with a Second HD..