WHich install method would you recommend?

SquireSCA

4 posts in this topic

Ok, my Windows 7 RC(build 7100) x64 install is about to expire. I really don't feel like spending $200 or so to keep it, especially when I have to go through the effort and hassle of a clean install anyway.

So my options are the following:

1) Install my legal retail copy of Vista x64

2) Install Ubuntu or OpenSuse 11.2 64bit

3) Install Snow Leopard

The one thing is that I like to game, not a ton, but I do enjoy playing COD Modern Warfare 1 and 2. But if I cannot game, then it is not a total deal breaker.

My hardware is as follows:

Asus P5B-Deluxe

Intel quad-core 2.4Ghz

6GB RAM

ATI Radeon 4890 HD

SB X-Fi Extreme Nusic

74GB WD Raptor SATA 10k rpm

400GB Seagate HD SATA

1TB SATA, forget which brand

Couple DVD burners, 9-in-1 card reader, 24" and 21" LCD panels, etc...

So, I guess the first question is, which one fits my needs best? My gut tells me Vista because of the game angle. But the OSX option has benefits as well, and there are some ways to run Windows apps there.

Linux would be straight forward, but is the least polished and least flexible for my needs I think.

So if I decide to make a Hackintosh, which install method would be the easiest for my hardware? And will I get full support on things like the video card? Or will performance be crippled?

Another benefit of OSX is that I have an iphone 3G, so the support will be there, whereas in Linux it won't be as good.

Thanks!

Also, do I need to go purchase a retail copy of OSX to do this, or are there hacked versions like the Kalyway discs that I used about a year ago?

I took that one off because it was a real pain to upgrade, and the video performance was not all that great due to driver support issues, etc...

Ok, my Windows 7 RC(build 7100) x64 install is about to expire. I really don't feel like spending $200 or so to keep it, especially when I have to go through the effort and hassle of a clean install anyway.

So my options are the following:

1) Install my legal retail copy of Vista x64

2) Install Ubuntu or OpenSuse 11.2 64bit

3) Install Snow Leopard

The one thing is that I like to game, not a ton, but I do enjoy playing COD Modern Warfare 1 and 2. But if I cannot game, then it is not a total deal breaker.

My hardware is as follows:

Asus P5B-Deluxe

Intel quad-core 2.4Ghz

6GB RAM

ATI Radeon 4890 HD

SB X-Fi Extreme Nusic

74GB WD Raptor SATA 10k rpm

400GB Seagate HD SATA

1TB SATA, forget which brand

Couple DVD burners, 9-in-1 card reader, 24" and 21" LCD panels, etc...

So, I guess the first question is, which one fits my needs best? My gut tells me Vista because of the game angle. But the OSX option has benefits as well, and there are some ways to run Windows apps there.

Linux would be straight forward, but is the least polished and least flexible for my needs I think.

So if I decide to make a Hackintosh, which install method would be the easiest for my hardware? And will I get full support on things like the video card? Or will performance be crippled?

Another benefit of OSX is that I have an iphone 3G, so the support will be there, whereas in Linux it won't be as good.

Thanks!

Also, do I need to go purchase a retail copy of OSX to do this, or are there hacked versions like the Kalyway discs that I used about a year ago?

I took that one off because it was a real pain to upgrade, and the video performance was not all that great due to driver support issues, etc...

Hi Squires.

I'm quite new to hackintosh, but not to Windows, so please, for your own sake, stay away from Vista.

Anyway I have today just finalised my Snow Leopard install and I can tell you this much for free mate, this thing kicks the backside of anything out there. I have always used windows and personally thought Win 7 would be the bees knees. In fact it is, but I wanted to try something different and Snow Leopard it had to be.

I would seriously give Snow Leopard a go. Heres my breakdown:

Motherboard: Biostar TF570

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 5200+

MEM: 3Gb OCZ SLi Ready 800MHz DDR2

Graphics: XFX Geforce 8600GT 256mb

Harddisks: 1xMaxtor 320GB, 1xHitachi 250GB, 1x120 Maxtor.

Optical Drives: 1xLiteOn Sata DVDRW, 1xToshiba DVDR

Maxtor 320GB , 250GB Hitachi = Media Drive, 120GB Maxtor (2 Partitions, 1x100GB for Data+Downloads,

1 20GB for TimeMachine Backup(Only Backing up OS & installed programs))

I had installed Mac OsX Snow Leopard first time. Had to reinstall about 3 times before getting it up and running properly.

I installed Snow leopard by booting 10.5.8 and then installing from there on a separate HD. Before the final step of repairing permissions,

I copied over the kexts I needed for BIOS reset, NForceATA to the extensions folder, then repaired permissions.

I had an issue with the graphics drivers, Waiting for root device and Bios reset faults initially. I used NVKush for th Graphics(full Quartz enabled)

and then copied the AppleNForceATA kext from my 10.5.8 install to solve the Waiting for root device problem.

I have now updated my system to 10.6.2 via the apple update utility and I must admit, this thing is a beauty.

Boot time = 1min 5secs.

Seg

Hi Squires.

I'm quite new to hackintosh, but not to Windows, so please, for your own sake, stay away from Vista.

Anyway I have today just finalised my Snow Leopard install and I can tell you this much for free mate, this thing kicks the backside of anything out there. I have always used windows and personally thought Win 7 would be the bees knees. In fact it is, but I wanted to try something different and Snow Leopard it had to be.

I would seriously give Snow Leopard a go. Heres my breakdown:

Motherboard: Biostar TF570

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 5200+

MEM: 3Gb OCZ SLi Ready 800MHz DDR2

Graphics: XFX Geforce 8600GT 256mb

Harddisks: 1xMaxtor 320GB, 1xHitachi 250GB, 1x120 Maxtor.

Optical Drives: 1xLiteOn Sata DVDRW, 1xToshiba DVDR

Maxtor 320GB , 250GB Hitachi = Media Drive, 120GB Maxtor (2 Partitions, 1x100GB for Data+Downloads,

1 20GB for TimeMachine Backup(Only Backing up OS & installed programs))

I had installed Mac OsX Snow Leopard first time. Had to reinstall about 3 times before getting it up and running properly.

I installed Snow leopard by booting 10.5.8 and then installing from there on a separate HD. Before the final step of repairing permissions,

I copied over the kexts I needed for BIOS reset, NForceATA to the extensions folder, then repaired permissions.

I had an issue with the graphics drivers, Waiting for root device and Bios reset faults initially. I used NVKush for th Graphics(full Quartz enabled)

and then copied the AppleNForceATA kext from my 10.5.8 install to solve the Waiting for root device problem.

I have now updated my system to 10.6.2 via the apple update utility and I must admit, this thing is a beauty.

Boot time = 1min 5secs.

Seg

Well, I used Vista before for well over a year, and never had issues with it. 99% of the "horror stories" are false. People hear from everyone else how it sucks, so they pass it on, and nobody can tell you why it sucks, or what the problems are, just that "they heard"... LOL

Head over to the Mojave Experiment for a bunch of funny videos about exactly what I am talking about.

That said, I would like to give Snow Leopard a try. So I have to figure out what the best METHOD for installation is. I don't want to spend too much time on this, else it would just make more sense to go Vista, you know?

Is there a simple ISO that I can download and install, with a minimal amount of fuss, that will just work without me having to repair and tweak all sorts of things? That will allow me to do online updates like a real Mac? Have no performance degradation?

If so, which one? Link?

Hi Squires.

RE vista. I was involved with beta testing before release and thought it was the mutts nutss, but then when updates and service pack came out, it just turned pants.

Re Snow Leopard, As you are wanting to run on a pc, then you would be very lucky to install and not have to tweak. This is achievable only by buying a Mac. As this is not an option then look on this site for the various guides on installing 10.6. I went for the option of installing Snow Leopard from an installed copy of 10.5.8 on a separate HD, added some commands in terminal added 2 extra Kexts and bobs your uncle. total install time - 45mins. Good Luck.

Seg