I've been trying for two weeks.

12 posts in this topic

Ok, after of 2 weeks of working at getting a duel boot system working, I have a feeling I may be one of those people for whom "this will never work."

As my backbone walkthrough I have been using this great guide: http://www.taranfx.com/install-mac-os-x-le...in-9-easy-steps

Here is my epic:

I initially was worried about messing up my computer, so I first tested the process using iATKOS 10.6.5 on my little brother's hp vista laptop (which we were going to wipe anyway) and successfully created a mutliboot system after much trial and error. But when I tried the process on my sony viao, I couldn't make it work. I've tried 11 different "customize" combination with this iATKOS disk, and (with most of them) the install said it was "complete" but when it tried to reboot with the black screen, the last message is saw was "syncing disks... Killing all processes" then "continuing" and then one more message that i could never read because a moment later the computer would shut off and upon reboot the computer listed "boot0:testing" three times and then ERROR.

So, after that, I decided to try iPC 10.6.5 because i read that it had a larger database for different hardware. That never successfully worked. My progress bar would always get a forth of the way through, then it would make a huge jump before that big yellow "!" showed up and said my install failed because of something along the lines of "couldn't locate volume/Kevin's OSX." I tried many different customize combinations with iPC also (at least 6) until I decide to return to iATKOS.

With iATKOS i still get to my "complete" screen, but upon reboot, it still won't load to chameleon. Instead I now get a message that says my windows is broken, and I should put in my repair disk. I can do that and fix everything, but I still don't have Mac OS.

It's all very stressful.

Here is the info I have on my laptop:

Product: SONY US-VGNFW490-LBOM

16.4" widescreen with XBRITE-FullHD⢠LCD technology (1920x1080)

500GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [5400 rpm]

Standard Capacity Battery

ATI Mobility Radeon⢠HD4650 graphics card with 1GB vRAM-great for games and movies

Intel® Core⢠2 Duo Processor P7350 (2.00GHz)

WLAN (802.11a/b/g/n) with integrated Bluetooth® technology

Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit (Upgraded to windows 7 legally)

4GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 2GBx)

Riocoh SD/MMC

Toshiba MK5055GSX

Optiare BD-Rom BC-55054

Intel ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller

IEEE 1394 Bus Host: Rioch 1394 OHCI Complaint Host Controller

Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

RIM Virtual Serial Port v2

ATI HDMI Audio

Realteck High Definition Audio

Intel ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller

I'm sure that half that info is useless, but I figure, it's better to be safe than sorry. If anyone needs to know anything else let me know. The two key components that don't seem to have compatible drivers are my graphics card (ATI HD4650) and my wifi.

All I care about is getting a base, functioning OS installed, if it's not perfect now, that's fine, I'll update. At this point I will buy/download whatever, I just really want a multi-boot system, primarily because I want/need to be able to use video editing software only available for mac (but I don't have the cash to buy an apple computer.) I really hope I can find, and greatly appreciate anyone's help.

THANK YOU

I don't really get what you did & where exactly it went wrong, but after this:

With iATKOS i still get to my "complete" screen, but upon reboot, it still won't load to chameleon. Instead I now get a message that says my windows is broken, and I should put in my repair disk. I can do that and fix everything, but I still don't have Mac OS.

It would be a good idea to make a chameleon boot disk and see if it finds your osx install (don't know iatkos, maybe it can boot into os installed on hd too?).

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD4650 graphics

If I am not mistaken, support for this card comes with 10.6.2

Thanks outragedtony,

I will definently try the boot disk. That's a great idea.

When I checked the wiki it looks like the ATI video cards supported in 10.6.2 are:

Radeon Ultimate HD4670 512Mb GDDR3

Radeon HD4850 512Mb GDDR3

Radeon HD4850 1Gb GDDR3

Radeon HD4890 1024Mb GDDR5

should I get 10.6.2 and try HD4670 (because it is the closest number to mine) or HD4850 (since it has 1 Gb of ram like my system)? or neither because it's not exact?

The wiki does not have everything known to work. Some people get stuff working, and never post it there...

For ideas you could always try:

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00948655...297:e41g72sr-ba

This will search all hackintosh related sites for any matches...

Try putting in the approximate model no... say viao **** for anyone else... The exact model no i threw in for a pot luck shot and it only came up with this thread. Try putting in a simmilar model etc...

its also good if you want to check your GFX etc...

Try iDeneb or Kalyway. Kalyway is a little outdated but works when other distro;s do not... There is also a snow leopard distro available...

As mentioned above, snow would be good to install, as most recent software runs on it. That said, snow is a big jump and leopard or even tiger would be a good place to start. Retail leopard disks are available on teh internets and then you can make a bootloader disk (CD or USB) to boot and install from the retail disk... Theoretically you could slap a disk together from drivers (called .KEXTS in mac osx) but your chances are slim...

Another alternative would be to buy a external harddrive, install to there in some way or another then try doing it in multiboot afterwards. Multiboot always adds complexity and issues, especially when choosing teh correct partition no to boot from.

I don't really get what you did & where exactly it went wrong, but after this:
With iATKOS i still get to my "complete" screen, but upon reboot, it still won't load to chameleon. Instead I now get a message that says my windows is broken, and I should put in my repair disk. I can do that and fix everything, but I still don't

That means it didn't find a bootloader, and defaulted to windows instead. I can give you a bootloader image to burn to cd and test, it will show other partitions, but probably not boot them properly...

I am interested to see how this pans out!

I would also recommend a retail snow leopard install - that way you know exactly what customizations are installed, and you can keep it as minimalistic as possible to avoid trouble because of interfering kexts.

It is a bit more complicated to get started, but on the upside you know what you are doing (and why), and troubleshooting will be much easier. Basically, you will need a Chameleon (or other bootloader) boot cd with some minimal kexts. Boot with it, and swap for a retail OSX DVD to install. After that, install Chameleon to MBR and OSX partition, and repair the windows boot sector.

You may start with the follwing kexts: Fakesmc / Disabler / AHCIPortInjector / IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (last two come with Chameleon RC4). I also have a ICH9M chipset, and it works great with these kexts (besides some annoyance with usblegacy). Dig around for your video card driver, I think I read about it at netkas.

Test the Myhack installer!

http://www.kexts.com/view/214-myhack_installer.html

install the myhack installer usb stick and try to boot it with the snow leo install dvd

But the 4650 propably doesnt work

Try the myhack instller

http://www.kexts.com/view/214-myhack_installer.html

install it on a usb stick and try to boot the snow leo insall dvd

but i think it 90 % wont work cuz the radeon 4650 isnt supported!

I really appreciate everyone's help, but I still haven't figured out the problem. Since I first posted I have successfully set up multiboot on my friends HP so I know I have the gist of things.

I have sort of tried 2 bootloaders (I don't know if I made them correctly), along with trying to install from Kalyway, and iDeneb. I am currently downloading several snow leopard images in the hopes that the drivers will be more up to date. If none if that works I will try and make my own with a retail disk.

The most frustrating factor is that the install seems to be successful. Especially with iDeneb everything seems to go perfectly, and the computer shuts down properly, but on reboot my laptop just says windows has been damaged but I can start windows normally. I doesn't ever open to the Chameleon boot screen :) I've even tried using easy BCD and adding a mac generic x86 PC entry so when I boot I have the two choices, but if I select the mac one it just says that it's corrupt, and I should reboot or put in the windows repair disk.

If anyone knows why it never boots to chameleon let me know. I can get access to my friends mac if I need to create a disk image (like a bootloader) on there. But yeah, just keeping you guys up to date. Thanks again

Create a Chameleon-boot disk on your friend's mac:

1. Get Chameleon RC5pre8 installer from here.

2. Format a USB drive as HFS+ and install Chameleon on it

3. Downlaod and Unpack Chameleon RC4 (sorry, link is not allowed?) and copy everything under "Optional Extras" into the "Extra" folder on the usb drive

4. Get other needed kexts (see my previous post for some essentials), they go into /Extra/Extensions

5. Copy com.apple.Boot.plist from the mac (under /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/) into "Extra" on the USB drive

6. Adjust the com.apple.Boot.plist

7. Boot your laptop from the USB drive, and try to start up OSx

More info about the settings can be found here.

Thanks for the help outragedtony. Unfortunently, I tried to set up my own boot usb, and I failed. I accidently installed the chameleon bootloader onto the mac itself and as I sure you know; that was terrible. So I think I'm back with my original problem :/ cause I kindof blew that oppurtunity.

So I still don't get why it won't boot up to chameleon...

I appreciate everyone's ideas and I want to keep trying.

Thanks again.

It worked!!! Sorta. I finally have some version of OSX multibooting on my laptop and I am extremely happy and appreciative of everyone's help. I used some combo of iPC, command prompt and EasyBCD, but I have little idea what exactly I did differently so I hope to not have to re-install. However. My OSX right now doesn't have internet (that's the biggy), the screen looks stretched and low quality (my screen is 16:9 1080p, it won't play dvds, the usbs don't work, basicly it's got alot of problems and I've been trying to install kexts but they seem to have little effect.

Is there a test kext or something out there that I can try just to see if I'm doing things right when installing the kexts to make sure the ones I add are taking effect?

Regardless, thanks again insanelymac members. I appreciate the help and after about a month, I have a barebones OSX multibooting ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, we talked on taranfx, I actually have all the kexts you need to have your system working almost fully, you can't get QE/CI with the video card, but you can change the resolution to look better, I have sound working fully, USB works, and ethernet, but no wifi. I've actually done it on my computer twice, because I tried to update to 10.5.8 and broke my install so I had to do it again. So here goes step by step

After creating a new partition in Windows I used iATKOS v1 disk, Once the Loading Bar vanishes Select Utilities -> Disk Utility .

Select the Volume you created previously and format it as MAC OSX Journaled Extended. Once the formatting is done the volume is ready for installation.

Now Close Disk Utility and Select Utilities -> Darwin Boot. Type Y at the prompt.

At the prompt when it asks for the Disk Number enter 1.

For the Partition Number if your Leopard Partition is 2nd on the disk, then enter 2 and so on.

Accept the following prompts and you should see a success prompt saying that so many block of data were written successfully.

Now get back to the Leopard Install Screen. Choose the partition that you made in the beginning and follow the instructions on screen.

Only install the main OS and the stock kernel 9.1.0

Once the Install is done, reboot with the DVD in the drive. Press F8 at Darwin Boot Loader and type -s and press enter.

Execute the following commands :

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

quit

reboot

Now the Vista recovery will load, select recover and restart, now your Vista will boot normally.Now that we have almost everything running fine, lets proceed with the dual boot setup.

Boot into Vista. Copy the chain0 file from the Leopard DVD to C:

Open the Start menu/All Programs/Accessories right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator

Type the following into the prompt

cd C:\

bcdedit /copy {current} /d “Mac OS Xâ€

bcdedit /enum active

bcdedit /set {GUID} PATH \chain0

In the first command type {current} as it is, literally..nothing else..just {current} with the brackets. In the 3rd command however, replace the {GUID} with the alphanumeric GUID you see in the enumerated list under MAC OS X. You can see this list on your terminal as soon as you type the 2nd command above.

Now restart, when the prompt comes up it should have vista and OS X

select OS X and it will bring you to the Darwin boot loader, hit enter

select the OS X partition and type -v enter

your mac will start, next I used iATKOS v7 to update, (I need 10.5.7 to run iPhone SDK, you don't have to if you don't want to just skip to the kext installs)

put in iATKOS v7 disk and run, it will restart the computer and load the install disk.

Click continue, agree and select your OS X partition

next click customize and uncheck everything except the main install and post install scripts, absolutely nothing else

install and restart, remove the DVD

when you restart, if you don't use safe mode you will get a grey screen because of the video card drivers, so type -x and start in safe mode

next you will want to have the following files downloaded already, put them on your desktop

backupkexts.zip

so all three should be on your desktop now open terminal

and execute the following commands

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo mv IONetworkingFamily.kext IONetworkingFamily.back

sudo mv ATIRadeonX2000.kext ATIRadeonX2000.back

cd /Users/(insert your username here)/Desktop

sudo mv RadeonHD.kext /System/Library/Extensions

sudo mv IONetworkingFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions

sudo mv AppleAzaliaAudio.kext /System/Library/Extensions

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel RadeonHD.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 RadeonHD.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 IONetworkingFamily.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

cd ..

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

killall Terminal

now wait a second and reboot (normally, you don't need safe mode anymore), when it comes back up pretty much everything should be working fine, you can even change your resolution through displays now.

Hope that helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask me and hopefully I can clear them up.

P.S. You should probably use a USB keyboard and mouse for all of this.