Quadro FX, GTX 260 or . . .

2 posts in this topic

I am a long time Mac user, and have built a couple of low end Hacks, an HTPC and an iTunes / Torrent server. Now I am thinking about building a i7 860 based hack for running CAD / engineering solid modeling. Most CAD programs are Windows and many require a Quadro card so I was thinking about the Quadro FX 580 512MB which is around $200, or the Quadro FX 1800 768MB for around $450 . As far as I know the only Quadro card that Apple ever supported was the FX 4500 so I am wondering if I use either of these cards will I lose all their 'quadro-ness' when I boot into OS-X and want to run my Mac CAD programs ?

Would I be better off spending the money on a GTX 260 which is guaranteed to work in OS-X, and sacrifice (possibly) some graphics performance when I run windows CAD software such as SolidWorks ?

10.6.3 is rumored to bring OpenGL 3.0. Do I need a 3.0 card to get this additional functionality ?

• 1 month later...

i am also want to know about performance of middle end quadro fx cards on hackintosh in 3d/vfx apps compared to ati 4870/90 and gtx 2xx. also quadra fx has bis advantages in low voltage/heat/noise. also which has is better performance - older quadra fx 3700 or newer 1800? also found test of quadro fx 4800 vs gaming cards on mac http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/12/...c-edition.ars/2