MSI Platinum P45

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte EP35-DS3L and I would like to upgrade to MSI Platinum P45.

What do you think about MSI Platinum P45? Is Snow Leopard compatible? I would be grateful for any help!

Thank you!

I answered your question on hackintosh.org, but thought I'd post my reply here too as it might help others with this motherboard.

Yes it is Snow Leopard compatible (posting now from my Snow Leopard 10.6.2 install on MSI P45 Platinum, Q9400 CPU, GeForce 9800 GT).

Update: Have created an updated install guide here (includes all required files and more detailed steps than the original guide, does not include Snow Leopard DVD, you'll have to buy that): Installing Snow Leopard on the MSI P45 Platinum - Revised Guide.zip

A few more details on osx86 wiki: HCL 10.6.0 - OSx86

Upgrading to 10.6.2 using Software Update was relatively painless, but I had to use netkas' NullCPUPowerManagement.kext for 10.6.2 and disable SleepEnabler.kext (even netkas' new one didn't work for me). I had to disable the sleep option in System Preferences -> Energy Saver.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 20 Feb 2010: I created a new guide to replace the old one. The old guide can still be found here:

Snow Leopard For MS-7512 mobo and nVidia video.zip

thanks, mate! I'm planning to add vanilla speedstep.

On my MSI P43 board power management works out of the box, no need to do any fixes in dsdt. P45 Platinum will probably do the same.

On my MSI P43 board power management works out of the box, no need to do any fixes in dsdt. P45 Platinum will probably do the same.

You may be right about the P45 Platinum not needing a modified DSDT, but I used one anyway just to be sure. Haven't tried it without, maybe one day I'll try a re-install just to see if it makes a difference.

You may be right about the P45 Platinum not needing a modified DSDT, but I used one anyway just to be sure. Haven't tried it without, maybe one day I'll try a re-install just to see if it makes a difference.

You do need a modified dsdt because of this:

Scope (_PR)
   {
       Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
       Alias (P001, CPU1)
       Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
       Alias (P002, CPU2)
       Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
       Alias (P003, CPU3)
       Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
       Alias (P004, CPU4)
   }

Those Alias lines must be removed and then you are good to go. But speedstepping and C-states work out of the box if they are enabled in bios setup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My Snow Leopard HDD died this morning, so after reinstalling SL on a brand new HDD I thought it'd be a good time to try updating to 10.6.4 since I had nothing to lose.

I followed the same steps as are detailed in my guide, the only difference was that I installed the 10.6.4 update instead of the 10.6.2 update via Software Update. After downloading and installing the 10.6.4 update (but before rebooting!), I used the '10.6.2 KExts' in the MacLoader package (minus SleepEnabler.kext), applied the files to the EFI partition and rebooted. Everything works fine. :D

I do not use SleepEnabler.kext, since I have always had trouble with my system and sleep - it's always on anyway so I don't use this kext and disable the sleep options in the energy settings.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I've just bought a new MSI P45 Zilent, exactly the same as the platinum bar the northbridge heat sink.

It arrives tomorrow :D

Attched: I've patched zoliky's DSDT for-

LPC (need to check if a.) this is needed b.) I've got a closest match device id,

CPU alias removed and CST added - only for C1E,

WAK fix,

OSI patch

Method DTGP

ALC888 (may not be correct patch for tmogkol's latest patched alc888 appleHDA, will check tomorrow.)

_PST shutdown fix

GFX for GTX260 added to P0P2 (need to check is actually at P0P2!!)--- REMOVE/ CHANGE THIS SECTION IF YOU HAVE DIFFERANT GPU.

Still need to add Firewire fix.

PLease feel free to test. I've already checked that it compiles.

:)

dsdt_zilent_15_07_10.zip

All working using the attached DSDT patched for:

LPC

CPUgrey_loader.gif alias removed and CST added - only for C1E,

WAK fix,

OSI patch

Method DTGP

ALC888

Realtek RTL8111/8168B

_PST shutdown fix

GFX for GTX260 added to P0P2 (need to check is actually at P0P2!!)--- REMOVE/ CHANGE THIS SECTION IF YOU HAVE DIFFERANT GPU.

And the following kext:

FakeSMC v2.7

LagacyAGPM

RealtekR1000SL

AppleHDA - patched by tmongkol for ALC888

Speedstep is working, forced sleep and USB device wake is working (need to replug usb on wake but power button also wakes without need to replug USB.), auto sleep broken by sil3132 RAID driver - which is also working nicely!

DSDT16_07_10.dsl.zip

D.

Attached is my latest DSDT. As apposed to zoliky's this one was first extracted from my machine using Everest. There are quite a few differences!

I'm running BIOS rev 1.6 and my board is version 1.1 (although i believe v1.0 and 1.1 share same BIOS.)

I'm still having to use RealtekR1000SL.kext for LAN which is a complete pain as I lose WOL option in 'Energy Saver' !

Any ideas on that are welcome!

DSDT17_07_10.dsl.zip

EDIT - Everest shows this for LAN (which I'm more inclined to believe.):

RTL8168C/8111C (PHY: RTL8211/8212)

D

The EFI BIOS works just fine.

I've extracted the DSDT in Everest to add in audio and GPU etc.

Cstates and Pstates not working, have tried with mojodojo's latest Chameleon with no joy.

Really odd Scope (_PR). In fact I'm tempted to believe that what I've extracted is part of the DSDT and part one of the SSDT tables.

Some added bonuses. In system profiler I now pass diagnostics, previously failed on some memory test, firewire now has top bar icon with option to power off card.

There is now the ability in BIOS options to set CAS Latency beyond 6, which is a limitation of the AMI BIOS and was preventing me set my PC2-8500 native timings of 7, 7, 7, 24 @555MHz

EFI_DSDT_25_07_10.dsl.zip

Have Fun

D