ASUS P5Q-PRO

Q6600 Quadcore @ 3.2GHz

4GB DDR2-800

GTX260 video

WD Green 500GB main drive

Hitachi deskstar 500GB Time Machine

Seagate Barracuda 750GB Temp DVD drive

Running Snow Leopard 10.6.2

I am currently capturing my VHS home movies with a cheapo Easycap USB video capture device that I got off eBay. There are some hacked Linux drivers available that seem to work "mostly". The issue that I am having is that about every 5 seconds of capture I get a burst of dropped frames. Also the video gets out of sync with the audio. Very annoying. You can time your watch by that interval... it is very regular like something gets in the way of the capture... but I don't see a spike in processor utilization??? I have done all the usual things of shutting down all apps except the video capture. There is TONS of free memory and the 4 cores are barely registering any work from the capture. I have tried capturing with the "quality" slider bar at both minimum and maximum quality and it makes no difference (other than the size of the resulting MOV file).

I have given up trying to get this resolved and the fact that they are hacked drivers just makes me more suspicious that I may never resolve this.

Sooo I am looking for recommendations on a good video capture device that would plug into my USB (I also have firewire available) that has native Mac support that will avoid this annoying issue. Personal experience with a good product would go a long way :D

You're better off asking about this in an actual Macintosh forum. Just pretend you have a real Mac. People who paid lots of money for a Mac tend to look down on people running their OS on "cheap" PCs.

Yeah. That's why I asked it here. My wife actually has a "real" Mac as she calls it (a Mac Mini) but I prefer teh power of my Hackintoshes :wallbash:

I suppose I can always ask on behalf of my wife and her "real" Mac and avoid the flak from the Soulier Than Thou crowd :wallbash:

But hey, maybe one of my fellow Hackers is using their machine with video capture. It's nice to see Handbrake cranking away on 4 cores with 100% usage. Would be even nicer if iMovie would do the same (it only uses 2 cores worth 50% atm... better multithreading promised in future)