Installing Snow Leopard on 2710p Tablet PC

Kieslar

10 posts in this topic

Last year I bought an HP 2710p and I thought I'd take a crack at installing Snow Leopard on it. Although a couple of years ago I had a working Leopard install on my desktop for 8 months, I'm relearning all this from scratch. Basically when I run into a problem I search these forums and try various things until something fixes it. I don’t know how many of these steps were actually necessary, but they seemed to get the job done. I wanted to chronicle my attempt in case anyone currently or in the future wants to try the same thing.

This thread from a few years ago was greatly helpful in getting me started.

I’ll try to go into as much detail as possible since I’m writing this to help someone with my (admittedly low) level of knowledge.

• I began by following MACinized’s totally vanilla Snow Leopard guide.
  • I couldn’t follow Phase 1.1: Pre-Installation since I did not already have a working Leopard install on the tablet, so I found a way to perform the steps in the Windows already installed: I used the windows version of iasl to extract my DSDT, and then I used koalala's Windows DSDT Patcher to patch and compile DSDT.asl
  • For the rest of the phases I world need a working install of leopard to complete, so I installed Snow Leopard to a VMware virtual computer.
  • In the VMware Snow Leopard I restored the retail Snow Leopard DVD to a 8 GB flash drive.
  • I copied my patched DSDT.asl to the ScriptFiles folder in the MacLoader from MACinized’s post.
  • Ran 2_SnowLeoInstaller to prepare the flash drive and copied MacLoader folder to flash root so I’d have access to it after the installation.
  • Attempted to boot from flash drive, but there was a kernel panic during boot right after the line “AppleIntelPIIXPATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled”
  • Apparently this is a known bug, one that sigmaris kindly patched. I copied the patched IOATAFamily.kext to the KEXT folder in MacLoader.
  • Reran 2_SnowLeoInstaller and attempted to boot again. This time it booted, but the keyboard and mouse nub didn’t work. However, copying the following three kexts to MacLoader fixed it: VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext, and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext. You can find those in 1545.zip here. I also found that copying VoodooBattery.kext from 1545.zip enabled the battery level to be read.
  • I could now use the keyboard and mouse nub to successfully install Snow Leopard.
  • I was able to get Ethernet working by installing Guijin Ding’s Intel 82566MM driver using Kext Helper.

Here’s the current state:

Working:

Keyboard & mouse nub

Webcam

Ethernet

Battery/power info

Graphics acceleration

Left USB port

Not working:

Audio

WIFI (the Intel WIFI card is likely not going to ever work, will probably have to buy a Broadcom one)

Bluetooth

Firewire

Right USB port (??)

Sleep

Speedstepping

Tablet (going to try TabletMagic)

Backlight brightness adjusting

I don’t have a lot of time to work on this, so updates may be sparse. Rest assured, however, that I will update as soon as I make progress.

• 4 weeks later...

No problem! Let me know if you have any luck with it.

DSDT.aml.zip

I haven't made any progress since my first post. I tried getting TabletMagic to work, and though I've heard of quite a few success stories on the 2710p, I didn't have any luck. Either I'm doing something wrong, or there is some kind of incompatibility with Snow Leopard.

• 7 months later...
Hey. I would love to give it a try. Has anyone any updates?

I wish I had some good news, but I was never able to get any further. I do check the forum every once in a while to see if someone else had any luck, but I guess it's just not that popular of a notebook. Good luck, and if you need any help getting to the point I did, let me know!

• 5 weeks later...
I wish I had some good news, but I was never able to get any further. I do check the forum every once in a while to see if someone else had any luck, but I guess it's just not that popular of a notebook. Good luck, and if you need any help getting to the point I did, let me know!

How did you get the GMA X3100 graphics card to play well with Snow Leopard? The only resolution I see available is 1024X768. Also upon connecting to an external monitor the monitor is not detected and the resolution stays at 1024X768. Also is QE/CI working for you? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

How did you get the GMA X3100 graphics card to play well with Snow Leopard? The only resolution I see available is 1024X768. Also upon connecting to an external monitor the monitor is not detected and the resolution stays at 1024X768. Also is QE/CI working for you? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Looking back over the log I made trying to get Snow Leopard working on the 2710p, I didn't do anything specific to get 1280x800 resolution and QE/CI working. Could you please detail how you extracted and patched your DSDT?

Here is the log I mentioned. I think everything is covered better in the original post, but maybe it will help. This was intended for private use, so if there's anything that is vague or doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to clarify.

-----------

Installing Snow Leopard on 2710p

Began by following Macloader vanilla DSDT method.

Had Windows 7 installed on 2710p, so used windows version of iasl to extract DSDT. Then used Windows tool (TITLE) to patch and compile DSDT.asl

Using a Leopard installation in VMWare, I restored the retail Snow Leopard DVD to a 8 Gb flash drive.

Copied patched DSDT.asl to ScriptFiles folder.

Ran 2_SnowLeoInstaller to prepare flash drive, and copied MacLoader folder to flash root

Attempted to boot from flash drive on 2710p, but there was a kernel panic to do with a 2nd ATA channel being disabled.

Was a known bug, so downloaded a patched IOATAFamily.kext to KEXT folder in MacLoader.

Reran 2_SnowLeoInstaller and attempted to boot again.

This time it booted, but keyboard and mouse nub didn't work.

Found three kexts that fixed this:

VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

AppleACPIPS2Num.kext

Copying them into KEXT and rerunning 2_SnowLeoInstaller enabled keyboard and mouse nub!

Works

Keyboard & mouse nub

Webcam

Ethernet (Intel82566MM.kext)

Battery info (VoodooBattery.kext)

Graphics acceleration

Does not work:

Audio

WIFI

Bluetooth

Firewire

Right-hand USB port

Sleep

Tablet (Tabletmagic reports "ISD V4.0 (TabletPC)" on pci-serial3

Running TabletMagicDaemon reports:

bash-3.2# ./tabletmagicdaemon

TabletMagicDaemon v2.0b17d2

© 2001-2009 Thinkyhead Software <www.thinkyhead.com>

[iNIT] Digitizer ID: WACF004

[PROC] Tablet Bounds: (0, 0) - (15239, 15239)

[PROC] Screen Bounds: (0, 0) - (1279, 799)

[PORT] pci-serial3: OPENED

[PORT] Setting speed to 19200

[sENT] "0"

[sENT] "*"

[RCVD]

[iNFO] ISD-V4 Firmware 36.00 (TabletPC)

[PROC] Tablet Bounds: (0, 0) - (31980, 28402)

[PORT] Setting speed to 9600

[sENT] "0"

[sENT] "*"

[RCVD]

[iNFO] ISD-V4 Firmware 36.00 (TabletPC)

[PROC] Tablet Bounds: (0, 0) - (31980, 28402)

[PORT] Setting speed to 9600

[sENT] "SP\r"

[sENT] "~#\r"

[sENT] "~#\r"

[sENT] "~#\r"

[PORT] Setting speed to 19200

[sENT] "SP\r"

[sENT] "~#\r"

[sENT] "~#\r"

[sENT] "~#\r"

Could not initialize tablet.

[ERR ] Fatal Error: No Wacom Tablet Found!