Installing on Mach Speed PM2MP

balanis

9 posts in this topic

Hello All. I'm new and have been reading posts for the past few months to try to get up to speed. I have successfully installed 10.4.6 on my cheapo computer just to see if it was possible.

Specs:

Mach Speed PM2MP motherboard

Socket 478, VIA Chipset

VIA P4M266A Northbridge

VIA VT8235 Southbridge

USB 2.0 x 6

Built in video - ProSavage8 3D, 32 MB

Built in LAN - VIA VT6103

Celeron 340 D, 2.93 GHz

1 GB PC3200 RAM

I used JAS 10.4.6 with PPF1 patch. I selected Intel.10.4.6.Combo.Update, IntelSSE2, and VIA.Sata.ATA

Results so far:

1. It boots!

2. About this Mac reports 1.5 GHz Celeron, not 2.93 GHz, but it seems to work OK

3. Sound only on left channel and it is broken, i.e. choppy sounding

4. Only resolution is 1024x768, but haven't tried some of the video edits already posted

5. No core image or quartz extreme

6. Won't play DVD. Says no playback hardware found. ProSavage8 docs say MPEG2 decoder, oh well.

7. Reboots OK, Shuts down OK (from menu only, not power button)

I haven't seen anyone else try this motherboard yet, so I thought I'd post my experience. The MB and CPU were bought at MicroCenter for $50 total after rebate, so it's thrilling to see what I can do with the cheap combo.

I am also downloading Goatsecx and Castana to maybe try later since they might have more support for devices (from what I can glean reading the posts). I recently downloaded JAS 10.4.7 update, but want to try to get as much working in 10.4.6 first before I update.

I believe I have found posts to try to get the LAN working (RHINE II kext) and the sound (AC97 kext, with Device ID and Vendor ID), but I was wondering if anyone had advice for DVD playback. Any help is appreciated.

I look forward to learning a lot more about this operating system and trying to get as much working as possible.

Balanis

I just read your message and I am computing the checksum now. It'll take a little while. I assume you wanted the checksum for the JAS 10.4.6 with PPF1?

BTW, I got the LAN working. I just followed the instruction in the wiki for the VIA LAN driver. Works great!!! Link is http://www.pinxue.net/mac/viarhine.html

Next, I'll see if I can get the audio working better. Need to study up more on that. I did check the System/Library/Extensions folder and saw the AC97 folder. It seems to contain the VIA audio folder, so maybe this is as good as it gets, which isn't very good.

Later

An update for those trying to use a PM2MP. The audio problems I was having have gotten better. Turns out that the choppy/high pitched sound out of the left channel only can be fixed (left channel only) by setting the audio sampling rate to 48 KHz instead of the default 44.1 KHz. Here a link to the post http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...indpost&p=18978. Likewise, I also searched and found this thread http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...indpost&p=99867 which discusses successful stereo output from VIA chip sound, but it didn't work for me, in fact it made my audio go away completely. I plan on reverting back to the mono (left channel) only configuration and following that thread. Seems JAS is trying to re-compile the kext for 10.4.6, but then again I'm new to this OSX world, so that's how I interpret it.

Now for more work on the video resolutions. I'd like to see if I can get my 20" widescreen dell working in its full glory without having to buy a new video card. I can dream can't I?

I have this same board and CPU. The onboard video just will not work at anything other than 1024x768. Put a FX5200 in it and it's working fine now. The VIA drivers on this board worked fine for the NIC. I also searched for AC97 here and found a fix for the audio that worked.

You may want to check your bus speed settings in BIOS, because osx reports my cpu speed correctly with this same combo.

I have this same board and CPU. The onboard video just will not work at anything other than 1024x768. Put a FX5200 in it and it's working fine now. The VIA drivers on this board worked fine for the NIC. I also searched for AC97 here and found a fix for the audio that worked.

You may want to check your bus speed settings in BIOS, because osx reports my cpu speed correctly with this same combo.

Cool! BTW, I got the video to work at 1280x1024x32@60 by using the "Graphics Mode=1280x1024x32@60" boot option. Does the FX5200 support more modes? I'm especially interested in getting the 1680x1050 my Dell 2005FPW supports.

Also, I've collected a bunch of topics on the AC97 VIA sound issue. But if you could so kindly point me to the solution that worked for you I'd be ever so grateful. So far, I've managed to get the left channel working OK, but then lost all audio trying to get both channels and I haven't yet restored even my mono mode yet.

One last thing. What is the bus speed setting in your bios? I'll report later with mine so that others may learn a little more about this combo. I'm amazed how far it has gotten me, especailly since I didn't even buy it with the intention of doing this. I just couldn't pass up on the price.

Thanks! :D

• 4 months later...

Hello guys, it's great to see that others are using the same mobo as I do (thought i'm all alone :)). I'm using the latest update, 10.4.8 since i thought this would be pretty much the best update, it proved me wrong though.

Dunno when I can gat my hands on a 10.4.6, its very interesting that you actually managed to boot with it, while at the 10.4.8 I can only finish the installation and at the end of it where it's time to reboot, it just wouldn't. it hangs there like a tartar on a tooth.

Tried to manually reboot and alas, it wouldn't boot up. what i get is the redundant cycle of booting up from POST to loading.

I was suspecting that it was my mobo, I have done everything I can to install this properly but to no avail. Last thing I did was to actually cancel the installation after the bootable DVD has done all it's loading and ready for install, i pressed quit and tried to restart and guess what, same thing happened it was just hanging there like a sticky poop.

the installer was fine, except that the installer somehow cannot get the message to the mobo to restart.

Any help with this is much appreciated. Anyone using the 10.4.8 on a P4M266A who can share their success will have a special gift courtesy of apple...pun intended hehe.

• 3 months later...
Hello guys, it's great to see that others are using the same mobo as I do (thought i'm all alone :|). I'm using the latest update, 10.4.8 since i thought this would be pretty much the best update, it proved me wrong though.

Dunno when I can gat my hands on a 10.4.6, its very interesting that you actually managed to boot with it, while at the 10.4.8 I can only finish the installation and at the end of it where it's time to reboot, it just wouldn't. it hangs there like a tartar on a tooth.

Tried to manually reboot and alas, it wouldn't boot up. what i get is the redundant cycle of booting up from POST to loading.

I was suspecting that it was my mobo, I have done everything I can to install this properly but to no avail. Last thing I did was to actually cancel the installation after the bootable DVD has done all it's loading and ready for install, i pressed quit and tried to restart and guess what, same thing happened it was just hanging there like a sticky poop.

the installer was fine, except that the installer somehow cannot get the message to the mobo to restart.

Any help with this is much appreciated. Anyone using the 10.4.8 on a P4M266A who can share their success will have a special gift courtesy of apple...pun intended hehe.

OK, I've been away from the osx86 scene for along time now. Kids have a way of consuming your every moment.

But, I have managed to squeeze in some time lately to download and install 10.4.8, and I can report that it works at least as well as 10.4.6 did. Yes, I had to fix the LAN driver as before, and I still only have left channel audio with the fix I used before, but I haven't gotten around to upping the video resolution back to the 1280x1024 I was running before on 10.4.6

I've also purchased a closeout ATI 9550 AGP 128MB video card that I'm curious to see of I can get working. I've searched and it seems others have, its just a matter of time and correct procedure for me.

Anyone else with this motherboard made any more progress? Maybe we should try to report in more often so we can support eachother. I'll do what I can (time permitting) to work my way through the issues. The first one I would like to solve is the audio, it would be nice to have stereo, and it seems like someone else had success doing it. I just have to find out what they did.

Good to be back! Hope to help you guys out!