Asus M3A78EM and iAtkos v7

rewind

6 posts in this topic

I was able to install iAtkos V7 on a stock M3A78EM mobo and while it seems to work fine, I have a couple of questions post-install.

When I try to connect a third SATA drive, I keep getting kernel panics. Both my DVD and Drive 0 are SATA. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

System Specs:

ASUS M3A78-EM mobo

AMD AM2+ 4800

3Gb memory

Using onboard video, lan.

Options used:

kernel 9.7

ATI SATA

SMBIOS

Realtek NIC

Voodoo Sound

That is about all I remember. I know I should have written down the options I chose. I have not been able to test sound or wireless connectivity. Display is set to 1024x768 only. If I were to purchase a PCIE vidcard, will it allow me better resolution? What vidcards have been used successfully in this distro?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And many thanks to iAtkos and insanelymac for this excellent software.

Mitch

I am using the onboard video of my mobo which is the ATI chipset. I just did a fresh install after numerous attempts with the different options and all ending with kernel panics. I did not remove any of the defaults from the install package, but used the following to enable me to get to my desktop.

kernel 9.7.0

x86 ACPI

OHR

Remove TYMCE

ATI Video

ATI SATA

USB

Voodoo Sound

Voodoo PS2

Realtek

On restart of install, the machine went through its' motions then gave me kernel panic. Removed DVD, reset BIOS so that HD boots first, reboot then went through desktop configuration. All this time, I got garbled noise from sound system. Once the desktop had been configured however, I was able to view some (codec issues with the others) of my movies with normal sound. All my USB ports work fine, I have not tried it on an IDE drive.

Can anyone recommend a compatible video card that would enable QE? I am not a gamer and this machine was built as a dedicated DAW. One interesting thing I noticed with this install, if the unit reboots on its own, I get kernel panic. But if I shut it down manually then reboot, I have no problems. Anyone know why that is?

Cheers.

mitch

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

My rig :

AMD Phenom II x4 940,

M3A78-EM

^^780g + sb700

4x2GB 800MHz Kingston

ALC1200

500 GB SATA Seagate HDD

tsst DVD-rw SATA

no add-on card

WinXP x64

I'm total noob in this area

Firstly I tried ideneb and with that I couldn't even reached welcome screen..

Now I'm trying iATKOS v7

I have set sata controller to ACPI also some power mangement to ACPI too in BIOS

using -v -x platform=ACPI cpus=1 I've at least reached to welcome screen

But the problem is that I'm not able to format any of my partition to HFS+ in disk utility...None of any drive is mounted...even it's not able to mount them...

I tried everything possible and known to me

updated MBR using fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0

used many bash commands like diskutil eraseVolume +HFS leo /dev/disk0s4 without success its saying that failed to mount

even before welcome screen these error occurs

localhost kextd[47]: root filesystem is read-only; skipping kernel link data generation

along with all partitions unable to mount syntax etc

I tried using another ATA HDD but same error can't mount....

flashed bios....

changed internal wires....

GParted can't create HFS+....

Macdrive doesn't support xpx64

what to do?

Edit/Delete Message

So the problem is that It's not able to mount any partition.

whats the actual problem? How It can be resolved?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

My rig :

AMD Phenom II x4 940,

M3A78-EM

^^780g + sb700

4x2GB 800MHz Kingston

ALC1200

500 GB SATA Seagate HDD

tsst DVD-rw SATA

no add-on card

WinXP x64

I tried using another ATA HDD but same error can't mount....

flashed bios....

changed internal wires....

GParted can't create HFS+....

Macdrive doesn't support xpx64

what to do?

Edit/Delete Message

So the problem is that It's not able to mount any partition.

whats the actual problem? How It can be resolved?

Thanks

hey i m new too and am going to install iPC OSx86 on my pc soon

i have the same motherboard/hdd/onboard video etc...

ur issue could be due to:-

1)HDD controller kext issue (which can be solved by using some other os version)

2)as ntfs partitioned are not detected by osx ,i advise u format the mac installation partition to fat32 then try reformatting it to hsf by ur mac disk utility....or use a 3rd party partitioner like "Acronis Disk Suite"and directly format it to hsf

u should refer to this thread:-

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=123137

all the best

• 7 months later...

I have the M3A78-EM as well, and Leopard wasn't too difficult to install, using either iDeneb or XxX -- that is, once I reverted the board to an older version of the BIOS. The way I've chosen to go with Snow Leopard is a little more complex, as I decided to start with a retail Snow installation disk, rather than one of the pre-rolled distros... and ultimately, I think that retail is going to be the better method to use.

Much to my disappointment, I have never been able to get the onboard video to work quite right, so I just bit the bullet and bought a cheap Nvidia card, and that did the trick with full QE/CI support. If you have one or two spare SATA hard drives at hand, you could probably follow much the same route that I used to get where I am:

I started with a Leopard install, around the middle of last year:

I just recently got Snow Leopard mostly functional, using the existing Leopard installation for several of the steps:

Caveats for Snow Leopard: The sound works -- but not perfectly, (see the notes in the wiki) and I'm still trying to find PS/2 kexts which work with this board, though I may just give up on PS/2 and replace my aging PS/2 mouse with a cheap USB mouse. If anyone else comes up with solutions to these minor issues, feel free to contribute either here or over on the wiki.