10.6 retail - blank white screen during install.

DougHogue

31 posts in this topic

I am having a problem installing Snow Leopard on my notebook. I'm using the Empire EFI boot loader and attempting to install 10.6 retail version. Empire EFI 1.085 loads fine and when the SL installer exits text mode the screen turns white with nothing on it. The retail DVD (installer) continues to run and actually accepts one return key input and then a couple minutes later stops. I’m guessing the installer has stopped and is waiting for input. It is my understanding that the chipset in my notebook is supported in 10.6. The following is my PC config.

Toshiba Satellite P105 S6024

Graphics adapter: Intel GMA 950

100gig SATA HDD

Optical: IDE CD/DVD RAM DL Multi Write

CPU: Intel Core Duo T2050 @ 1.6gig

Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset

Ram 2048 667mhz DC

Any help would be appriciated… ;)

hello. Have a Compaq laptop here with the intel GMA950 graphics, must be the thing... Been getting abit confused with the whole snow leopard install. Is there a way to put any more kexts in the retail dvd for it to run or something.

Any help would be good.

Thanks

Liam

As far as I know, only 32-bit mode is supported. It's may be bacause your hardware id doesn't match the retail SL. You need the drivers in /Extra/Extentions or a modded extensions.mkext.

Total newbie here... :) I do have moderate Linux experience but none on macs or mac software. My goal if I get this working is to build a new machine based on the compatibility list I've seen and run windowze from Snow Leopard. I'm a web and software developer so I need Microsoft for now anyways. Any Guidance would be deeply appriciated...

Doug

hello. Have a Compaq laptop here with the intel GMA950 graphics, must be the thing... Been getting abit confused with the whole snow leopard install. Is there a way to put any more kexts in the retail dvd for it to run or something.

Any help would be good.

Thanks

Liam

Sorry I can't help. I'm a newbie too. I do however have Linux experience and I see similarities between the two. They are both Unix based. Try using the Empire EFI. This will allow you to boot your copy of Snow Leopard. Read the information on the site and download the version you feel is right for your sistuation. good luck and let me know how it goes...

Doug

Sorry I can't help. I'm a newbie too. I do however have Linux experience and I see similarities between the two. They are both Unix based. Try using the Empire EFI. This will allow you to boot your copy of Snow Leopard. Read the information on the site and download the version you feel is right for your sistuation. good luck and let me know how it goes...

Doug

Thanks fot the tip, Tried that as well and still no luck :wacko:... hope someone who does know comes along soon. i could really do with abit of help.

Thanks

Liam

Download the Dell D620 iso boot cd from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...178411&st=0

Follow the instructions even though you don't have a Dell. Good luck with you install.

Hi. Thats for the 10.5.x installation, were trying to install retail 10.6.x i think.

also

im trying to add the gma950 kexts from another post what run in sl to the empire efi iso. will this work does anyone know? anyway i think its worth a go so im gona go for it.

Liam

Look at the bottom of the first post where it states:

Update: 10.6.0 Boot CD for Snow Leopard Retail Install here: D620SLV1.iso

I got my friend's p200 working without any problems.

Ahhhhh, sorry totally missed that, will give it a try now. Thanks, will post results.

Liam

Look at the bottom of the first post where it states:

Update: 10.6.0 Boot CD for Snow Leopard Retail Install here: D620SLV1.iso

I got my friend's p200 working without any problems.

weyyyy! you are the best! thanks all works here we can actually get into the installer now

download this .iso and burn it to a cd using disk utility, mount and then unmount the iso then it will appear in the left menu of disk utility. click it then click the burn logo, once burnt, pop it in the disk drive and boot it, once you get the the bootloader screen with the options of where to boot from, pop the drive open, put your LEGAL RETAIL dvd in, and wait a sec and press F5. then load from the disk with no boot flags (in my case) I did this on a Compaq Presario C500, i got the file from here and have done nothing to it. They have tested it on the Dell D620, There is a strong chance that this will work with all LAPTOPS with the Intel GMA950 Graphics on it.

The .iso can be directly downloaded from here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?j50eznjjyyz

my install has 29 mins left, will let you know how it goes. Also you will need to use the downloaded boot disk again to boot for the first time, there on you can install a bootloader.

Will update.

Liam

Hi. Thats for the 10.5.x installation, were trying to install retail 10.6.x i think.

also

im trying to add the gma950 kexts from another post what run in sl to the empire efi iso. will this work does anyone know? anyway i think its worth a go so im gona go for it.

Liam

Read the entire post. There is a Snow Leopard iso at the end of the post. Download the D620SLV1.iso and Follow the instructions...

I hope it works for everyone. I can't take credit for anything since I'm not the creator of the iso.

I am not so lucky. I get to the white screen with the apple logo, the screen grays out and the following message appears:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off, then press the power button again."

At least this time I got to the logo screen. Is there any bios settings I need to change?

I am not so lucky. I get to the white screen with the apple logo, the screen grays out and the following message appears:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off, then press the power button again."

At least this time I got to the logo screen. Is there any bios settings I need to change?

I think you need S3 Power mode or something. Heres some pics for bios settings. You may have a different bios but some settings should be the same: Click Here

Liam

And another thing, just before you boot from the retail disk (after you've pressed F5) type -v and at the bottom of the screen you should see " Boot: -v" or something like that, then press enter to load the disk... That makes it run in diagnostics mode, then either write down or take a pic of where it crashes.

Liam

Unfortuneately my cheap Bios does not give many options so I can not change the ACPI settings. I'm still looking...

How about chaning pnp os ti yes?

I installed SL for my friend on his Toshiba P200 (Core Duo T2450, gma950, 160gb sata, Samsung ide dvd drive).

How about chaning pnp os ti yes?

I installed SL for my friend on his Toshiba P200 (Core Duo T2450, gma950, 160gb sata, Samsung ide dvd drive).

I can't change many options. PNP is not an option. Garbage Pheonix Bios. I don't see get it. I would think there isn't much diference in the bios from the p105 to the p200 unless the p200 is AMI. I think that I'm getting a kernel panic. With the Empire EFI, it goes through and loads drivers and such. Not so with D620 loader. A little dvd drive activity and then to the Apple logo and the shut down message. I'm still trying to a compatible loader...

And another thing, just before you boot from the retail disk (after you've pressed F5) type -v and at the bottom of the screen you should see " Boot: -v" or something like that, then press enter to load the disk... That makes it run in diagnostics mode, then either write down or take a pic of where it crashes.

Liam

Liam,

Here are the Errors:

kext com.Apple.driver.AppleIntelGMA950 - library kext com.Apple.IOKit.IODrvSupport Not Found.

Can't Load kext com.Apple.driver.AppleIntelGMA950 - Failed to resolve library dependencies.

kext com.Apple.driver.AppleIntelGMA950 - Failed to load (0xdc00800e).

Failed to load kext com.Apple.driver.AppleIntelGMA950 - Failed to load (error 0xdc00800e).

Couldn't alloc class "INTEL915".

I think this is the problem. Do you or does anyone else have any ideas?

Doug

Liam,

Here are the Errors:

kext com.Apple.driver.AppleIntelGMA950 - library kext com.Apple.IOKit.IODrvSupport Not Found.

Can't Load kext com.Apple.driver.AppleIntelGMA950 - Failed to resolve library dependencies.

kext com.Apple.driver.AppleIntelGMA950 - Failed to load (0xdc00800e).

Failed to load kext com.Apple.driver.AppleIntelGMA950 - Failed to load (error 0xdc00800e).

Couldn't alloc class "INTEL915".

I think this is the problem. Do you or does anyone else have any ideas?

Doug

Doug,

are you using empire efi to boot? If so download the iso in an older post of mine on page one and burn that to disk and boot from it like you would with empire efi if you are using that disk then it must be your bios. I'm sorry I can't do much from here (on my phone) will have a look into it for you tomorrow after school if you post you laptop specs.

Oh also try -f or -x or -f -x boot flags as well they may do it

Liam

Doug,

are you using empire efi to boot? If so download the iso in an older post of mine on page one and burn that to disk and boot from it like you would with empire efi if you are using that disk then it must be your bios. I'm sorry I can't do much from here (on my phone) will have a look into it for you tomorrow after school if you post you laptop specs.

Oh also try -f or -x or -f -x boot flags as well they may do it

Liam

Liam,

I started the install in safe mode (-x) with the D620 loader and it started the install. Have about 28 minutes to go. Don't know if I'll have sound, wifi or much of anything because of the safe mode start. We'll see. I'll let you know.

Doug

Notebook specs.

Toshiba Satellite P105 S6024

Graphics adapter: Intel GMA 950

100gig SATA HDD

Optical: IDE CD/DVD RAM DL Multi Write

CPU: Intel Core Duo T2050 @ 1.6gig

Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset

Ram 2048 667mhz DC

Starting in safe mode (-x) has disabled wifi, ethernet and sound but Snow Leopard did install. Of course half the fun is figuring this all out and fixing it. Hahahahaha. I think the biggest problem for me is the INTEL915 class. It's geeting late and I'm going to bed. thanks for all your help. let me know if you find anything.

Doug