6 posts in this topic

Looking at doing an i5 build. I'm looking at using the following hardware and wanted some opinions.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2

CPU: Intel i5-750

RAM: 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600 PC3 12800

Video: PNY VCG8600GXXB GeForce 8600 GT 256MB

Optical: Sony Optiarc SATA DVD Burner

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA

So far I have purchased the hard drive, optical drive, and video card. I'm undecided about the motherboard and the CPU. I have also considered purchasing the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 for USB3 support. I'm under the impression that USB3 speeds will likely not be seen in 10.6.2 but I thought it would be nice to have for later down line when it may be supported. I'm also debating weather I should save $50 and get an Intel i5-650 instead of getting the i5-750.

The primary use of this computer will be to surf the internet, type up documents, use iPhoto, and some very minor use of iMovie. I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Looking at doing an i5 build. I'm looking at using the following hardware and wanted some opinions.

RAM: 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600 PC3 12800

So far I have purchased the hard drive, optical drive, and video card. I'm undecided about the motherboard and the CPU. I have also considered purchasing the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 for USB3 support. I'm under the impression that USB3 speeds will likely not be seen in 10.6.2 but I thought it would be nice to have for later down line when it may be supported. I'm also debating weather I should save $50 and get an Intel i5-650 instead of getting the i5-750.

The primary use of this computer will be to surf the internet, type up documents, use iPhoto, and some very minor use of iMovie. I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Stick with the i5-750. Its the only i5 thats currently supported. As far as the p55a mobo goes, I have had no experience with it. I would search around to see if its compatible or not. The p55m is very popular and has a couple in-depth guides. I personally love mine. And if you don't plan on overclocking, that ram will automatically downclock to 1333mhz instead of the 1600 on the p55m. I would get something at 1333 speeds with tighter timings if you keep stock speeds.

I am tempted by the Core I3 540 running @ 4.6Ghz on 1.281v but that I do a lot of photography work and video editing, which means I should be looking at the i7 920, but for £60 less I can get the i5 750 which seems to be winning all the awards in all areas other than video crunching.

My advice - aside from buy a Mac! - would be buy whatever most people in the community are using, even if that means not buying the very latest kit. It makes life less risky and getting help easier. One of the presenters on Tekzilla was saying less than glowing things about the reliability of recent Asus motherboards. A lot of people here opt for Gigabyte. He also said if opting for RAID, go for the black version of the Western Digital hard drive rather than the green.

Stick with the i5-750. Its the only i5 thats currently supported. As far as the p55a mobo goes, I have had no experience with it. I would search around to see if its compatible or not. The p55m is very popular and has a couple in-depth guides. I personally love mine. And if you don't plan on overclocking, that ram will automatically downclock to 1333mhz instead of the 1600 on the p55m. I would get something at 1333 speeds with tighter timings if you keep stock speeds.

Thanks. I was planning to downclock the ram to 1333mhz but hadn't thought about the timings. I'll consider something with better timings. I'm glad you mentioned that about the i5-750. I'll be sure to purchase that CPU.

Well got everything ordered. Went with the following:

RAM: Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G DDR3-1333 4GB

I hope it'll be smooth sailing.