MATLAB R2009b activation problem

stemann

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am unable to run my legal copy of MATLAB R2009b on my Hackintosh. Apparently the problem is caused by copy protection software employed my MATLAB, called FLEXnet (formerly FLEXlm). A utility placed in the MATLAB folder at:

/Applications/MATLAB_R2009b.app/bin/maci64/lmutil

reports:

$ /Applications/MATLAB_R2009b.app/bin/maci64/lmutil lmhostid
lmutil - Copyright © 1989-2008 Acresso Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.
The FLEXnet host ID of this machine is ""
lmhostid: Cannot find ethernet device. (-29,581)

where it should report the FLEXnet host ID as the Ethernet MAC of the first adapter (en0), according to: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54339

The thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=126614 mentions a special version of IONetworkingFamily.kext that is needed. But as I am using Mac OS 10.6.2, installing something from 10.4 or 10.5 seems a bit questionable.

Any ideas on how to make lmutil detect my Ethernet MAC address using Mac OS 10.6.2? E.g. by directing me to information on how to patch IONetworkingFamily.kext for a Realtek 8111D (if there is no avoiding this).

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4 motherboard with onboard NIC, enabled by RealtekR1000SL.kext in /System/Library/Extensions.

I have tried Chameleon 2.0-RC4, the v2 modification of 2.0-RC4 by Rekursor, and currently the 1.1.5 Booter by Asere, as I thought my Hardware-UUID in System Profiler might have something to do with MATLAB refusing to run.

• 1 month later...

Have you found a solution yet?

Hi,

I am unable to run my legal copy of MATLAB R2009b on my Hackintosh. Apparently the problem is caused by copy protection software employed my MATLAB, called FLEXnet (formerly FLEXlm). A utility placed in the MATLAB folder at:

/Applications/MATLAB_R2009b.app/bin/maci64/lmutil

reports:

$ /Applications/MATLAB_R2009b.app/bin/maci64/lmutil lmhostid
lmutil - Copyright © 1989-2008 Acresso Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.
The FLEXnet host ID of this machine is ""
lmhostid: Cannot find ethernet device. (-29,581)

where it should report the FLEXnet host ID as the Ethernet MAC of the first adapter (en0), according to: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54339

The thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=126614 mentions a special version of IONetworkingFamily.kext that is needed. But as I am using Mac OS 10.6.2, installing something from 10.4 or 10.5 seems a bit questionable.

Any ideas on how to make lmutil detect my Ethernet MAC address using Mac OS 10.6.2? E.g. by directing me to information on how to patch IONetworkingFamily.kext for a Realtek 8111D (if there is no avoiding this).

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4 motherboard with onboard NIC, enabled by RealtekR1000SL.kext in /System/Library/Extensions.

I have tried Chameleon 2.0-RC4, the v2 modification of 2.0-RC4 by Rekursor, and currently the 1.1.5 Booter by Asere, as I thought my Hardware-UUID in System Profiler might have something to do with MATLAB refusing to run.

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to install a legal copy of Matlab_2010a, and I can't get it to work either. Oddly enough, I launched it once and it seemed to work fine, but I was still working out the kinks in my system. Now I keep getting License Manager Error -9. Matlab tech support was helpful until he figured out I was running a hack, and now I haven't heard peep from him.

The whole reason I put this computer together was essentially to run Matlab, and I wanted to run OSX because that's what we do in the lab. If anyone has any ideas on this front, please do post em'!

Use the Chameleon 2.0 bootloader (or derivative) and set EthernetBuiltin=y in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

Did that seriously work out for you? I can't imagine that it did, but if so, please tell me about your setup.

I don't even know what matlab is, but if you read the first post again you'll see that I'm probably right.

Lots of (pro) software for OS X that requires an ethernet adapter set up as EN0 and internal. EthernetBuiltIn=y does this.

It has something to do with licensing and authentication/identification, pro apps read the MAC address of the ethernet adapter and tie the serial number to it, or use it as other means of identification. Time Machine, Microsoft Slilverlight, Popcap games and Maya (there are more) won't work if you don't have built-in EN0.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't even know what matlab is, but if you read the first post again you'll see that I'm probably right.

Lots of (pro) software for OS X that requires an ethernet adapter set up as EN0 and internal. EthernetBuiltIn=y does this.

It has something to do with licensing and authentication/identification, pro apps read the MAC address of the ethernet adapter and tie the serial number to it, or use it as other means of identification. Time Machine, Microsoft Slilverlight, Popcap games and Maya (there are more) won't work if you don't have built-in EN0.

Yeah, I understand that. It was the first step I took to try to correct the problem. For some reason I cannot understand, Matlab is having none of it (MATLAB, btw, is software that is essentially used for matrix algebra, and it has wide ranging applications across the sciences. I use it for fMRI analyses. It's sort of a weird mix between math software and a programming language).