Support for GIGABYTE MA785 board

deesto

7 posts in this topic

I've just purchased a new motherboard and graphics card, since I got frustrated with getting my prior equipment working:

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H

LAN: Realtek 8111C

Audio: Realtek ALC889A

Video:

- onboard: ATI Radeon HD 4200

- PCI-E: Galaxy nVidia GeForce GT 220 1GB 128-bit DDR2

(Yes, in hindsight I realize now I definitely should've gotten an ATI card :( )

Plugging all this into my previous rig, I was able to boot my SATA SL partition, with VGA graphics and no ethernet and sound. I did some tinkering with the config and got:

• Ethernet is recognized and I can assign it an IP address, but it won't connect to my router. I saw a forum reference to something called "RTG" for this chipset, but I have no idea what that is.
  • Both IDE and SATA drives seem to be working fine
  • Sound is recognized as "Intel HDA" but crackles badly after a while, and the system froze when I went into Prefs->Sound->Input
  • Can't get any better than basic VGA graphics. I generated a custom EFI string for the nVidia card using OSX86Tools, but with this string in Boot.plist, the system reboots itself immediately as graphics mode starts up during boot

Any suggestions on what kexts/strings to use?

• 1 month later...

same here.

onboard sVGA video only, can't set wide resolution. Bought geforce 8400 GS and it solve problem.

10.6 Retail install (updates till 10.6.2) based on amd_kernel with flags

-s (otherwise Can't initialize disk cache error)

then in single mode "mount -uw /" and "exit"

only 32bit mode

changing kernel to pcj 1.0 work only in 32bit or in 64bit with -force64 flag. In 64bit mode 32bit apps crashing. In 32bit is only 32bit, nothing 64.

Phenom II x4 965 as Intel Core 2 Solo with 1 CPU x 4 cores

8Gb RAM 2x4 (5Gb reserved, strange, may be because of 32bit only)

Audio AppleAzalia installer, cracky sound. in 32 bit no volume level, in 64bit volume level is Ok, but same cracky sound.

Spotlight still crashing.

7100 Geekbench on 32bit

8300 on 64bit.

Need to arrange better sound. Gigabyte announce alc889a, but it is shown as 885.

• 1 month later...

Hi people.

I have this motherboard and I am running Leopard 10.5.7. I used iAKTOS 7. I have sound and video 1440x900 with additional kext (dont have additional videocard). The network card is working fine (if boot without connection it wont get online anymore untill I reboot). Reply to this if you what details about what I did...

Regas

I've just purchased a new motherboard and graphics card, since I got frustrated with getting my prior equipment working:

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H

LAN: Realtek 8111C

Audio: Realtek ALC889A

Video:

- onboard: ATI Radeon HD 4200

- PCI-E: Galaxy nVidia GeForce GT 220 1GB 128-bit DDR2

(Yes, in hindsight I realize now I definitely should've gotten an ATI card :) )

Plugging all this into my previous rig, I was able to boot my SATA SL partition, with VGA graphics and no ethernet and sound. I did some tinkering with the config and got:

• Ethernet is recognized and I can assign it an IP address, but it won't connect to my router. I saw a forum reference to something called "RTG" for this chipset, but I have no idea what that is.
  • Both IDE and SATA drives seem to be working fine
  • Sound is recognized as "Intel HDA" but crackles badly after a while, and the system froze when I went into Prefs->Sound->Input
  • Can't get any better than basic VGA graphics. I generated a custom EFI string for the nVidia card using OSX86Tools, but with this string in Boot.plist, the system reboots itself immediately as graphics mode starts up during boot

Any suggestions on what kexts/strings to use?

• 2 weeks later...

can u tell us what kext is it?

my sound and video doent operate well, no sound and 32bit color only(but work on HDMI

Hi people.

I have this motherboard and I am running Leopard 10.5.7. I used iAKTOS 7. I have sound and video 1440x900 with additional kext (dont have additional videocard). The network card is working fine (if boot without connection it wont get online anymore untill I reboot). Reply to this if you what details about what I did...

Regas

I'm a real newbie at this but thought I would share what I've got working with this board so far:

Ideneb 10.5.8

Voodoo Kernal

AppleATIATA

Seatlbelt Fix

IOUSBFamilySlice

AppleHDAudio

NVInject

Video = couldn't get the Radeon 4200 to work outside of safe mode. I gave up and bought a GeForce 9800 GT made by EVGA. Works. I have also tested a GeForce 7600GT made by XFX and it also works, (but wasn't mine, so had to bring it back after) Have tested it with SecondLife for 3D..works. Screen res changes also work on the 9800. The 7600 had a few glitches with that. The onboard 4200 is a pretty weak graphics chip anyway...doing research it looks like you have to match the graphics chips to get much benefit out of the crossfire features or whatever it's called, so just opted for something else, as the benefit didn't seem like it was worth the trouble. I could be totally wrong on that, but Nvidia cards seem to work better in non-windows environments anyway so went with that route. I'm using 1920x1080 resolution as well.

Audio = I have it working flawlessly in 2 channel mode only. I have not been able to get it working beyond that (so output only, no optical out, no microphone, no line in etc) Very basic, but functioning. I too was getting the same problems being described with crashes and crackly slow audio (it sped up and worked somewhat normal if I kept moving the mouse) I did have audio working on an older version of Ideneb, with the video in safe mode on the onboard Radeon, so I tend to believe it is possible to have the audio working...but I don't know enough about this to try to fix it. Maybe someone with more experience (and who knows what they are doing) could try to tackle this one and post some instructions? (please?)

Onboard LAN is working fine. Realtek driver

USB works, SATA and IDE works (you have to boot off of a SATA DVD drive though!)

My biggest problem right now, I cannot get any of my wireless adaptors to work. i've tried three different types with no success. I'm about ready to give up on those and get a powerline adaptor for my system because I don't want a cord spiraling through the house to get online with this thing. (Atheros, Realtek, and RAlink, no luck)

To answer what a Kext is, it is the 'apple' lingo for 'driver' as far as I can tell. I've yet to get one to install right, it usually ends up crashing the system and I have to reinstall again and start over.

I'm using an Athlon II quad CPU 4 gb memory.

• 1 year later...