Don't know what to do next

kevin1

3 posts in this topic

hi, I had a problem booting into mac os x using darwin 8.0.1, I installed darwin 8.0.1. After it installed I booted from the hard drive. When it was counting down to boot from the hard drive I typed -F (which ignores the boot file) so it would look like a dark gray apple logo with a light gray backround and a circle loading thing but not like with all the code. So it started loading. But once it had been loading for a wile it turned into a black backround with white text and it said:

Darwin/BSD (osxbox.local) (console)

Login: root

Passwod:

Last login: Sun Jun 25 07:17:24 on console

Jun 25 09:01:12 osxbox login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON console

Welcome to Darwin!

osxbox:~ root# █

I logged in and now it expects me to enter a command where the thing is that looks like this: █ but I don't know any commands. So can someone please tell me what command to enter to keep booting up Mac os x so I can use it?

Thanks

Kevin

hi, I had a problem booting into mac os x using darwin 8.0.1, I installed darwin 8.0.1. After it installed I booted from the hard drive. When it was counting down to boot from the hard drive I typed -F (which ignores the boot file) so it would look like a dark gray apple logo with a light gray backround and a circle loading thing but not like with all the code. So it started loading. But once it had been loading for a wile it turned into a black backround with white text and it said:

Darwin/BSD (osxbox.local) (console)

Login: root

Passwod:

Last login: Sun Jun 25 07:17:24 on console

Jun 25 09:01:12 osxbox login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON console

Welcome to Darwin!

osxbox:~ root# ?

I logged in and now it expects me to enter a command where the thing is that looks like this: ? but I don't know any commands. So can someone please tell me what command to enter to keep booting up Mac os x so I can use it?

Thanks

Kevin

Why are you trying to use Darwin 8.0.1 to boot into OS X? That hasn't been needed for ages.

Why are you trying to use Darwin 8.0.1 to boot into OS X? That hasn't been needed for ages.

Wondered about that myself.

This is a long shot: at that prompt (actually telling you that you are looged in as the SUPERUSER / Administrator, a dangerous place to be!) "startx" MIGHT just get a graphics (X Window) screen going.