Keyboard and mouse not working at install

jbrocket

12 posts in this topic

I am a first timer to this forum, and long time mac user. Problem is that the mouse and keyboard do not respond at the first screen during install were you select your language, therfore i can't go any further. KB and mouse work fine in bios and to intitiate install and add boot strings.

I have tried 4-5 different distros of the installers. I did manage to get OSX86 running in vmware but had terrrible performance. I have tried on a AMD sempron system and on a Celeron system. Both times I used same NVidia 6600gt. USB kb and mouse and also PS2 kb and mouse. Also with Apple kb and mouse. In all cases, same problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I too am having trouble using any keyboard/mouse after the initial install. My main keyboard/mouse is the logitech mx5000. It worked fine during the installation process but has not worked since. I've tried disabling/enabling legacy support as was suggest else where on this forum. No effect. I then went out and pruchased a ps/2 keyboard and mouse, neither of which work either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Athlon 64 3800+

ASUS A8V K8T00 Pro

Yeah, I have had this problem many times.

Try using the onscreen keyboard (accesed via System prefs the i nto international)

to type in these commands

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

and then type in this

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

Dont worry if the first one doesnt it usually doesnt.

Then i fyour keybaord starts working u have to add the above commads into ur /etc/rc file.

these commands are added at the very bottom of the file just before where it says:

exit 0

and afetwr the last command u see on the page.

I first tried my apple usb mouse and keyboard, no luck. I then tried ps2 mouse and keyboard, no luck. Then went a bought a microsoft usb keyboard and old usb ms mouse, same problem.

I can't get past the select language screen on the install from dvd. Tried several different versions, 10.4.1 - 10.4.6. All same problem. I have search the net and it seems that this is not a common problem.

If the installer needs to be modified I can do it on a mac or pc but I don't know were to start.

Any ideas?

So my problem is the same like others, i installed Mac OSx86 Tiger to my AMD 3700+, mobo asus A8N-sli SE, and mouse - usb works, keyboard ps/2 chicony - didn't work on installation. Also i can't start mac osx, on boot screen when loading it shows some crossed with line circle... Any ideas? Thank You in advance :)

• 1 month later...
Either use both USB mouse/KB or both PS/2 mouse/KB.
Assuming your install completes, I have posted a modified PS/2 driver that works better and lets you use a PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse. See this topic in Drivers.

If you can't download it because of no keyboard/mouse after rebooting and you're dual booting Windows; download and expand the kext in Windows to, say, C:\MAC. Next, boot from your install DVD, hit F8, then type "-s rd=disk0s3" (or disk0s2/disk0s4). Next...

mount -uw /
cd /Volumes
mkdir NTFS
mount_ntfs /dev/disk0s1 NTFS
cd NTFS/MAC
ls -l	 <= you should see ApplePS2Controller.kext
cp -R ApplePS2Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions
cd /System/Library
rm Extensions.*
chown -R root:wheel Extensions
chmod -R go-w Extensions
reboot

I know that's a lot of {censored}... You are mounting Windows drive C: formatted NTFS in primary partition 1 (usual for XP) and then copying the kext to the Mac partition. If you have a FAT32 Windows partition, substitute mount_msdos for mount_ntfs.

Likewise disk0s1 is partition 1, disk0s2 partition 2, up to 4. If your Windows and Mac partitions are different, adjust the rd= and mount commands as needed.